Nebraska and the Big 10 Network on Dish after July 1

Not doubting your senerio but what is your source of info that is more detailed than anyone?

It will change when Dish & the Big Ten Network do a new contract.
The current contract specifies base coverage in the previous Big Ten States (except SouthEastern PA), and being part of the Multi-Sport package in other States. Nebaska is considered a non-Big Ten State in that contract. Dish pays the Big Ten Network X amount for every subscriber in that Big Ten area, and a different amount for Sports Pack subscribers in nont-Big Ten States.

Dish does not want to unilaterly change that contract, as they will be paying the Big Ten Network for every subscriber in Nebraska, and not making any money off of it themselves, basically it would be a money loser for them. So unless the Big Ten Network gives them some kind of consession, then there will be no changes until the current contract runs out.

Not doubting your senerio but what is your source of info that is more detailed than anyone?
Memory, I remember the discussions going on back when the Big Ten was trying to get coverage on the systems. Mostly paid attention because Lancaster got cut out of basic coverage, and thus no Penn St. games without the sports pack.

The sticking points at the time were how much the cable/sat systems would pay for Big Ten State viewers and how much for those not in the Big Ten area and were getting it with the sports pack.

Search the archives from around the time the Big Ten network was started and you'll find the details.

Exactly, the current contract with the Big Ten Network does not include Nebraska in the basic area. Nothing in the contract include Nebraska as in the Big Ten area. If Dish were to turn it on for everyone, they'd actually have to pay the Big Ten Network the higher rate per subscriber in non-Big Ten areas, than the lower rate per subscriber the Big Ten area gets, with no added income as they wouldn't be getting the sports pack money that offsets that higher non-Big Ten area rate.

It's not just Dish Network here, but also the Big Ten Network.

And it's not just the Nebaska people in this situation. The Penn St. fans in Southeastern PA have to do the same thing.

Here in Lincoln Dish is the only provider that doesn't have Big Ten Network without having to buy a special package. I highly doubt Direct TV and Time Warner had their contracts made up to include Nebraska before we even decided to join the Big 10 but some how they are providing their customers with the service. The person I talked to before I even signed up for Dish told me all I had to get was the 200 channel package to get BTN. Haven't been with Dish very long and probably won't stay with them unless they do their customers right.

The exact final amount/subs are rarely exposed but the starting figure for the negotiations was 1.10/sub for Big Ten territory and .10/sub for out of area. These amounts were widely circulated back when comcast was fighting with the btn at its start. So as one poster stated, Dish is not going to do a unilateral adjustment of territory at such at hit to the bottom line. You can see where this move will cost Dish a fair amount of money. I suspect they will try to reduce their in-area rate downwards a little whenever the btn talks to them about the new area.
Considering Dish's history with YES, I would expect anything is possible for those that live in Nebraska.

And one other point, not sure if it has been brought up, but Fox is the tv partner with btn so you have to consider the history of Charlie and Rupert in this situation also.

Here in Lincoln Dish is the only provider that doesn't have Big Ten Network without having to buy a special package. I highly doubt Direct TV and Time Warner had their contracts made up to include Nebraska before we even decided to join the Big 10 but some how they are providing their customers with the service. The person I talked to before I even signed up for Dish told me all I had to get was the 200 channel package to get BTN. Haven't been with Dish very long and probably won't stay with them unless they do their customers right.
Directv includes in all packages (Choice and above) and thats how the contract was written with them. Doesnt matter where you live in the US
Cable companies do have it that way where its hit and miss. I know Comcast has it where if you're in a Big10 state it was included and the rest it was in a digital sports pack.

I contacted Executive Level support to ask when BTN would be added in NE and gently note that other providers already had it here, and was set up with MultiSport for six months ("which should be enough time for negotiations to be worked out"). Anyone else had any luck going that route?

I contacted Executive Level support to ask when BTN would be added in NE and gently note that other providers already had it here, and was set up with MultiSport for six months ("which should be enough time for negotiations to be worked out"). Anyone else had any luck going that route?

for free? or a discount?

Maybe they were hoping that NE residents don't know that subscribers in Big 10 states get the network "included".

They might be hoping that, but I think they would be disappointed. One of the widely discussed benefits of joining the B1G is the fact that we wouldn't have to buy 3 or 4 games each year on PPV.

Do any of the DIRT members or anyone else have an up-date on the issue of the Big 10 network and the subs in Nebraska? Are Dish and the Big 10 network in discussions? Status?
I would think the main sticking point is which channel packages the network goes into for customers outside the B1G footprint. The B1G probably wants it available in most packages as that's more money for them and Dish probably not so much.
Also, I would think adding the channel to Nebraska subs as a RSN is also on the table.
I know it's only mid-July but inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks!

Well the pressure is definitely on Dish now. Time warner just announced the Big 10 Network will be added to their standard cable package next month ensuring they will get even those non-conference games televised.

I made sure I pointed this out to Dish that the only other providers Direct TV and Time warner in Lincoln are offering it standard. So looks like they have a monh to change their mind about trying to gouge Nebraskans for 7 extra bucks a month or they will be losing out on more money than they are making by sticking with this strategy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts