Nebraska bolting for Big Ten, Colorado for Pac-10

Haven't made it more than 10% of the way through the above thread, but this image must be posted.

4700995891_12260fbb4a.jpg

Aggieland is in full meltdown. At least I am not the only one so pissed off this morning. The link below is exhibit one.

TexAgs.com - A&M Football

The Texas members of the conference, reasonably, share more agnst for Texas, than Nebraska does. The 800 gorilla in basketball is Kansas and in football is Oklahoma. 800 pound gorillas elevate the performance within the conference, but it is strange for an institution have a lot of political power without the performance in the 2 major sports to back it up.:D

Why does it matter WHY??

The NCAA has a lot of rules and does lot of things that don't make sense. Stupid BCS instead of a real Div. I championship series is one.

They probably felt they needed to define a minimum number of teams, that's all...

If I have 8 teams and want to have a CCG I should be able to do so.
The NCAA should have NOTHING to say about it.

Then leave the NCAA, nothing preventing that, other than scheduling teams outside the conference, money, prestige, etc...

Actually, there is a loophole that would allow a CCG for a conference of less than 12 teams.
Just reduce the schedule to 11 games, allowing the 12th game to be reserved for a CCG, but good luck getting all the schools in the conference to agree to losing a game.

Why the woody for a CCG?? :confused:

Outside of increased revenue for the conference and schools, what else is gained by it?? Under the current BCS system these games are merely money grabbers.

Why the woody for a CCG?? :confused:

Outside of increased revenue for the conference and schools, what else is gained by it?? Under the current BCS system these games are merely money grabbers.

Totally agree, I don't see the infatuation with a CCG. They are played at neutral NFL stadiums for the most part, so they lose all the atmosphere that makes college football so great.

Can you imagine Ohio State playing Michigan in Lucas Oil Stadium? Ugh, no thanks.

Sandra

Totally agree, I don't see the infatuation with a CCG. They are played at neutral NFL stadiums for the most part, so they lose all the atmosphere that makes college football so great.

Can you imagine Ohio State playing Michigan in Lucas Oil Stadium? Ugh, no thanks.

Sandra
That atmosphere is what's made OU/Texas so special. Played in the Cotton Bowl (a "neutral site") at the Texas State Fairgrounds in Dallas, with the fans split 50/50. I'm not so enthusiastic about moving the game to JerryWorld Stadium. You lose the fair, Big Tex, and the spectacle of the game.

In order to keep the Big 12 together, commissioner Dan Beebe promised Texas, A&M, and OU $20 million annually. He promised the other seven schools $14 million to $17 million. Assuming that the "other seven" get "only" $14 million annually, that's $158 million total.

Earlier in this thread, someone posted a link to 2009 television revenue by conference. The Big 12 made $78 million, or $80 million below Beebe's promised payout.

We have ties to seven bowl games (which we will never be able to fill as a ten team conference). Let's assume that those earn $20 million, that we lose no money from Nebraska and Colorado leaving, and that we lose no money from the lack of a conference championship game. That still leaves a $60 million shortfall.

Beebe's answer to this problem is that we are re-working our contract with Fox. Seriously.

The Whorns are happy because they will get their own television network, something that no other conference would have allowed.

The fact of the matter though is that the conference will never be able to meet these obligations and is no more stable than it was a month ago. A&M, OU, OSU, and TTU should have gotten out of this mess when they had a chance.

Then leave the NCAA, nothing preventing that, other than scheduling teams outside the conference, money, prestige, etc...

Actually, there is a loophole that would allow a CCG for a conference of less than 12 teams.
Just reduce the schedule to 11 games, allowing the 12th game to be reserved for a CCG, but good luck getting all the schools in the conference to agree to losing a game.

Wait a minute, the NCAA doesn't pay the teams and who cares what they have to say about scheduling.

The NCAA is not GOD, the university presidents make up the NCAA ..... I think the scheduling has nothing to do with the presidents.

Who needs the NCAA anyways.

Wait a minute, the NCAA doesn't pay the teams and who cares what they have to say about scheduling.

The NCAA is not GOD, the university presidents make up the NCAA ..... I think the scheduling has nothing to do with the presidents.

Who needs the NCAA anyways.

Who needs the NCAA anyways? Seriously? If someone didn't need the NCAA they would leave, so they obviously need the NCAA. Not sure why you're going so head-strong in this direction.

That's like saying the Detroit Tigers should leave MLB because an MLB umpire made a bad call at first base.

Sandra

Lets see.....

It took the NCAA 20 minutes to jump down Ohio States throat and they lived there for the duration of thier investigation.

I mean every day, it only took the 5 years to look into the University of Spoiled Childrens alligations.
And USC had 2 players under investigation.

See that pick and chose accordingly.

They graciously waited for Pete to leave so he would not be in the mess, then it's OK as no one there is accountable.

Who needs the NCAA anyways? Seriously? If someone didn't need the NCAA they would leave, so they obviously need the NCAA. Not sure why you're going so head-strong in this direction.

That's like saying the Detroit Tigers should leave MLB because an MLB umpire made a bad call at first base.

Sandra

Exactly!

Or contending because the revenues are there that the Texas's & USC's of the world aren't going to adhere to the 85 Scholarship limit.

Hey we have the revenues we're going to carry 125 on scholarship.

The Hell with the NCAA.

Laughable Sentiment

Things are getting ugly. The move to stay in the Big 12 is very unpopular here in Aggieland. I don't like it because the money Dan Beebe promised just isn't there. One jerk who emailed A&M Athletic Director Bill Byrne and most of the university higher administration went waaaaayyy too far though.

Texas A&M AD Bill Byrne wants to kick some Aggies’ ass!!
Hey a$holes

I am a third generation aggie and class of ’06. my family and I, including many extend family members have had season tickets at kyle field for up to 20 yrs.

We also tailgate spending a lot of time and money during the fall in college station. That all ended today

We are canceling our season tickets and will never again donate to the 12th man until there is all new board of regents minus Gene Stallings, a new ad, new president (that guy is a disgrace).

Dollar bill, I hope you have time to pull your tongue out of dodds ass to read this email

Sincere regards

Richard Rogge
Byrne called the guy back, left a message on his voice mail, and this guy immediately called the local sports radio station with the recording.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/96517329.htmlA&M AD Bill Byrne Curses Out an Aggie Alum
[url]http://ww2.kbtx.com/global/video/flash/flashvideoplayer.asp?playerName=miniplayer.swf&playerWidth=300&playerHeight=260&hasheadLine=false&hasBevelTheme=true&menuPosition=none&clipId=4874411&topVideoCatNo=59588&autoStart=true&mute=false[/URL]

This entire situation is so crazy that it's just absolutely surreal. This phone call was the lead story on the local news tonight.

Last edited:
Oh, and here is Bill Byrne's apology. I can't stand the guy. He tripled the price of my season baseball over the course of his first three seasons here. I don't see a reason for $Bill to have apologized here though.

Let's Talk About Conference Realignment - TEXAS A&M OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

After reading over 200 similar e-mails the other night, I finally had one set me off and I called the writer. I'm a very competitive person and like many of you, I was raised not to back down when challenged. I've also got a bit of an Irish temper which came across in my voicemail. I regretted what I said as soon as I hung up. I should have been above that, and I made a mistake. For those of you who were offended by my response, I apologize, and I assure you that it will not happen again.

I suppose there are parts of this I should understand better myself, but I have a question:

TAMU couldn't make the jump to the SEC, because they are currently about $17M in debt and could not afford the abandon-ship penalty to the Big 12?

TAMU couldn't make the jump to the SEC, because they are currently about $17M in debt and could not afford the abandon-ship penalty to the Big 12?

The debt issue is a looooooonnnnng story. Last year about this time, our president, Dr. Else Murano was essentially forced to resign. The chancellor of the A&M system had given her a scathing review which a local television station acquired with an open records request. In her written response to that review, she mentioned a then unknown $16 million loan that her predecessor, Dr. Robert Gates (now US Defense Secretary) had given to the Athletic Department. Up to that point, no one knew about the loan, and the Athletic Dept hadn't repaid a penny.

They began repaying the loan when all of this came out, but no one knows how much of it they have repaid.

I don't think that this has anything to do with us not leaving the Big 12 though. I think that the $20 million annual guarantee is why we didn't leave.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)