Need 722 storage device Info

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
Hi All, I am thinking of having the USB port turned on to use my personal hard drive to store some programs. I asked a D rep how it works, but he didn't have much info. All he told me was the activation fee, and plug in the USB cable. I need to know how to put programs back into the 722 if I do this. Also, am I to assume that my programs will all play in my PC. I am getting a replacement 722 soon and want to save certain shows.

I appreciate all feedback. Thanks.:confused:

Hi All, I am thinking of having the USB port turned on to use my personal hard drive to store some programs. I asked a D rep how it works, but he didn't have much info. All he told me was the activation fee, and plug in the USB cable. I need to know how to put programs back into the 722 if I do this. Also, am I to assume that my programs will all play in my PC. I am getting a replacement 722 soon and want to save certain shows.

I appreciate all feedback. Thanks.:confused:

Not sure about playing on PC, but your best move might be to get your EHD and load what you want to save to it, then when you get replacement 722 you can put the content back to 722 if you want.
Dan

Not sure about playing on PC, but your best move might be to get your EHD and load what you want to save to it, then when you get replacement 722 you can put the content back to 722 if you want.
Dan

Dan, I would have to pay the $39 fee. The rep said I would have to format my personal drive. Would that change how it recognizes data to my PC? Do you use the EHD? Also, the rep had no info on how to put the info back into a 722. Can you help? Thanks.

Dan, I would have to pay the $39 fee. The rep said I would have to format my personal drive. Would that change how it recognizes data to my PC? Do you use the EHD? Also, the rep had no info on how to put the info back into a 722. Can you help? Thanks.

I have EHD, it is easy to transfer back and forth. I am not into PC use with E*. If your going to get an EHD you pay once for activation, this allows use for all receivers you have that work with EHD ,so no problem.
Dan

Once you format an EHD for 722 use, it will not be recognized by a PC, so if you hook that drive to a pc it will need to be re-formatted for pc use, then if you put it back to 722 it will be re-formatted again and all content will be erased.
Dan

Once you format an EHD for 722 use, it will not be recognized by a PC, so if you hook that drive to a pc it will need to be re-formatted for pc use, then if you put it back to 722 it will be re-formatted again and all content will be erased.
Dan

Thanks for your help. I am guessing that I would need a dedicated EHD so I will not lose all the PC data that is on it. Are you able to use the data on the EHD to play films & shows on your TV or is it strictly for storage purposes? Thanks.

Thanks for your help. I am guessing that I would need a dedicated EHD so I will not lose all the PC data that is on it. Are you able to use the data on the EHD to play films & shows on your TV or is it strictly for storage purposes? Thanks.

You can play content from EHD just like if it was still on DVR.
Dan

You can play content from EHD just like if it was still on DVR.
Dan
Make sure you get a EHD with a good amount of buffer. I got a WD Mybook 500gb and playback is peppered with audio dropout and pixelation. When I restore the programming back to my 622 and play it back it's fine.

Chris:mad:

Make sure you get a EHD with a good amount of buffer. I got a WD Mybook 500gb and playback is peppered with audio dropout and pixelation. When I restore the programming back to my 622 and play it back it's fine.

I have 2 HP EHDs. I'm not sure about the buffering. I'm more interested in storing programs for future viewing if the 722 malfunctions like the 1st one has done. I have been experiencing sound dropping out on many chs. & on recorded programs on the DVR. Dish is sending me a replacement unit.

I have 2 HP EHDs. I'm not sure about the buffering. I'm more interested in storing programs for future viewing if the 722 malfunctions like the 1st one has done. I have been experiencing sound dropping out on many chs. & on recorded programs on the DVR. Dish is sending me a replacement unit.

Why not try one of your HPs, they must be btween 40gb and 750gb, I use a 500gb LaCie Porche with a Samsung hdd and 16mb cache, it works fine. The concensus on this forum is that the 8mb and 16mb cache work fine.

Last edited:
Why not try one of your HPs, they must be btween 40gb and 750gb, I use a 500gb LaCie Porche with a Samsung hdd and 16mb cache, it works fine. The concensus on this forum is that the 8mb and 16mb cache work fine.

I have a 125 GB unit & a 300 GB unit. How would I find the specs on them? They came with an install disc and I don't know much else about them. I use them to store data & pictures. I might try the 125 GB unit if I know I won't mess it up. Both units are HP as I have 2 HP PC's. :confused:

Last edited:
I have a 125 GB unit & a 300 GB unit. How would I find the specs on them? They came with an install disc and I don't know much else about them. I use them to store data & pictures. I might try the 125 GB unit if I know I won't mess it up. Both units are HP as I have 2 HP PC's. :confused:
You will lose whatever is on the HP when you stick in into the USB port on the 722.
Dan

How much buffer do you need? Actually, I have no idea what "buffer" is. Is a 750GB drive good enough? Any suggestions on brands or models?

serpenteagle3

How much buffer do you need? Actually, I have no idea what "buffer" is. Is a 750GB drive good enough? Any suggestions on brands or models?

serpenteagle3

More buffer the better IMHO. I would go for 16MB. Got this from googling buffer: A buffer in a computer system is usually located between two devices that have different speeds for handling data or used when there is a difference in the timing of events. It is analogous to a reservoir, which captures water upstream and then lets it out at controlled speeds intended to prevent the lower river from overflowing its banks. Likewise, a buffer in a computer ensures that data has somewhere to go, i.e., into the buffer temporarily until its ultimate destination becomes available.

750GB is the maximum drive supported for the EHD. I am currently using a 500GB Western Digital drive and plan on getting a second one. I highly recommend this one:

EagleBit.com - Eagle Consus W-Series Hybrid 500GB 7200rpm 16MB USB 2.0 to IDE + SATA Aluminum External Hard Drive powered by Western Digital 500GB Hard Drive - Brand New

I have the same drive with my VIP-722, and though I don't experience any video issues, I do have audio dropouts while playing back directly from the EHD. It seems others have no problems. I'm tempted to buy another drive, but I want to be sure it'll work with no problems.

Mark