Need a clear answer on 61.5 vs. 129

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dah-Henny

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Boone, North Carolina
Ok, so I've heard conflicting reports from searching this forum:

#1 61.5 mirrors all of the hd content that's on 129, with the exception of
locals.
#2 There's some hd content on 129, such as fox sports south, that is
not available on 61.5.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm upgrading to a 500+ to get 110/118/119, with a 300 side dish already getting 61.5, and need to know if I should repoint my existing 500 to the 129 slot. That's a 5 sat solution, which I'm ok with if need be. I'd just as soon NOT target 129 if there is no additional hd programming.:D

THANKS in advance.:up

That is an option, seeing that I would only have to buy an additional LNBF to mount to the supplied bracket. I just figured heck, I have the 500, maybe get a stronger signal than with the 1000+ set-up. How 'bout the sports south issue?

#1 61.5 mirrors all of the hd content that's on 129, with the exception of locals.
#2 There's some hd content on 129, such as fox sports south, that is
not available on 61.5.
Not exactly accurate.
#1 61.5 mirrors all of the NATIONAL hd content that's on 129, plus it has the HD Demo (fishtank) channel.
#2 There's some REGIONAL hd content on 129, such as fox sports south, that is
not available on 61.5.
#3 HD Locals can come from wherever they want to put them. Some are on 61.5, some on 129, some on 118, some on 110 or 119.
#4 there are a few (3) HD channels on 148 which are also mirrored at 61.5 and 129 but on different channel numbers.

Thanks folks...I think I'll stick an "I" yolk on my 500 and repoint to 129 just for the joy of it. :)

One more question: I currently get sports south sd on channel 437. When I subscribe to the HD PAK, will the HD version of that channel be included in the package, or would it be al le carte?

OK....may as well ask one more while I have your attention:

Is there any plans for a DPP21, as opposed to the DP21, so that you could still run one cable to a duel tuner receiver with a DPP44, 5 satellite set-up with a separator???

I've not heard anything about that one but there is supposedly a DPP64 switch in development somewhere.

(though when I did a google search everything I found had my name on it) :D

If anyone is trying to choose between 129 and 61.5 for HD, and they don't have some compelling reason to choose 61.5, then I would choose 129.

Why?

Because when I activated my 622, both the regular phone rep and the technical support rep referred to HD reception as "129 reception".

In fact, they consider that the one crucial aspect of an HD installation is that 129 reception is verified.

This implies strongly that future HD (such as the six HD channels that are tentatively scheduled to be added this fall) will be on 129, but may or may not be on 61.5.

Note that I am reading between the lines, but I think that if you have strong signals on 110, 119 and 129, then you are sure of getting any national channels, while it is unclear what is going to happen with 61.5 .

If you are using 61.5 now and it works well in your location I would not switch to 129, 129 has issues, it wobbles and the signal can drop on you. this is a big problem in the Pacific Northwest, your area may not be affected as strongly but I do not believe there is anything on 129 that is worth the headache, but that is your call.

If anyone is trying to choose between 129 and 61.5 for HD, and they don't have some compelling reason to choose 61.5, then I would choose 129.

Why?

Because when I activated my 622, both the regular phone rep and the technical support rep referred to HD reception as "129 reception".

In fact, they consider that the one crucial aspect of an HD installation is that 129 reception is verified.

This implies strongly that future HD (such as the six HD channels that are tentatively scheduled to be added this fall) will be on 129, but may or may not be on 61.5.

Note that I am reading between the lines, but I think that if you have strong signals on 110, 119 and 129, then you are sure of getting any national channels, while it is unclear what is going to happen with 61.5 .

Well, for many of us in the east, 129 is not an option. It's just too far down on the horizon. I'm not completely sure that I can point there because of "line of sight" issues. Of course I live in the mountains & have lots of LOS problems. 12 years ago when I purchased my home, I had to go up on our hill & cut down a few choice trees just to get G5 on my BUD. My E* dishes are on my roof, so I'm optimistic that I will see 129.:)

If you are using 61.5 now and it works well in your location I would not switch to 129, 129 has issues, it wobbles and the signal can drop on you. this is a big problem in the Pacific Northwest, your area may not be affected as strongly but I do not believe there is anything on 129 that is worth the headache, but that is your call.

Yeah, I've heard that 129 has issues. No big deal if I can't get it. 61.5 is almost straight up from here, so it's definitely a good choice for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)