Need a little direction with new HR20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ItsMeSB

Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
Hey folks need a little direction here is Des Moines IA,

Well, I took the plunge and asked for the new hr20-100 from D* and it was delivered today. We don't have the HD locals or new HD stuff yet, but should hopefully be around September... We'll see.

Anyway, got it all running fine so far and I'm right now in the process of dl the 0168 upgrade...

My confusion/questions relates to the set up of recorded programs. We had a Tivo hr10-250 and it was a breeze... had 50+ programs and rarely had a conflict... So far, Ive entered a few programs, chose "first run" only option, yet it recorded the repeat episode of NCIS that was listed in the guide for tonight. I checked and it has "first run" option chosen... Am I missing something?

Also, what about premium programs that are replayed many times (HBO, Showtime, etc).... Tivo would "adjust" by recording the prioritized programs first, then picking up the other repeated episodes (I set up 1 time only programs early in list and repeated programs after...). So for the most part I rarely had any conflicts. I don't see with this new HR20 that's it's going to be that easy, but maybe I'm missing something with this as well.

Any direction or advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance
SBergstc

p.s. New version 0168 is up and running, going to check it out now...

I am having the same problem with getting more than first run recordings.

When you first set up a series to record it always picks up the 1st show that's on whether it's a repeat or not. After that it should catch only 1st runs.

Joed32, that a relief to know. Thanks for that info...

Another question on that... Should I leave the "rerun" episodes in the "to do" list and allow them to record until there is a 1st run episode picked up? When I deleted those "rerun" shows from the "to do" list (prior to recording), they were also deleted from the "prioritize" list...

Also, when you ask to record from a HD channel, does it only look on that specific channel for programming? What about when you have multiple HD Premium channels (we don't yet, but should be by 9/07) and even more scheduling options?

Any info on the 2nd part of my original post would still be appreciated... If anyone has any experience with the recording of Network 1st run shows along with multi-view series' from Premium channels I'd appreciate your input. I have around 50 shows (during all "seasons") in my "list" to be entered on the HR20 and my old Tivo unit did an excellent job of shuffling thru the premium shows making sure that EVERYTHING was recorded. Bummer is that right now many of the shows aren't available in the guide even as reruns and this model doens't have a Wishlist to use as a reminder...

Thanks in advance for any info posted,
SBergstc

1. You can remove things from the To Do List that will not impact the Priority Schedule. The Priority Schedule is just like the Season Pass Manager. Also tweek your Priority List to make sure your higher record priority go first. Its really fast with an HR20

2. When setting up a Priority (Season Pass) you can specify which channel to go after. So if you want it on your NBC HD OTA channel, then when searching you will see it there and the others if applicable. When first picking, just make sure you align it to the channel of choice. The rest will be ignored and not recorded.

3. I usually do my Priority List in the Fall when the programs come out. Its true that you need the program to get it in your Priority List. Give it time since you just got the unit. So you will have to time to time add to the Priority List as shows emerge. But once they start to, you can keep them there even if nothing new is coming. Remember to remove a Priority Item, click - - on the remote (dash dash).

4. Some programs just have bad meta data. Meaning what is fed to Directv is not a true indicator of first run. Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert Show from Comedy Central are notorious for not having accurate guide info. I therefore setup manual records M-TH at 11 PM ending 12:01 AM.

Thanks Brewer4... I appreciate all the info. I was doing some scheduling this morning as more programming had been dl into the guide so more programs were available to schedule. I still have more to enter, but I did play with moving the programs around and yes it is MUCH faster than the old unit...

I'm still wondering about the premium shows that are played numerous times... If there's a conflict say... 3 shows want to record at the same time, two are network shows (available only one time) and the other is a show that will run many times during the week (on the same channel)... Will the priority manager pick this up and record the 2 network shows and then record the premium show at one of the other times?

Sorry to keep asking the same question...
SBergstc

sbergstc,
Sometimes you will get a repeat recorded when it's been set to "First Run Only" but that is due to the wrong information being sent from the network , they have to send the correct PSIP info in order for the unit to know weather it's new or a repeat.

So it is not a problem with your rec. , just a lack of info from the network.

Jimbo

Thanks Brewer4... I appreciate all the info. I was doing some scheduling this morning as more programming had been dl into the guide so more programs were available to schedule. I still have more to enter, but I did play with moving the programs around and yes it is MUCH faster than the old unit...

I'm still wondering about the premium shows that are played numerous times... If there's a conflict say... 3 shows want to record at the same time, two are network shows (available only one time) and the other is a show that will run many times during the week (on the same channel)... Will the priority manager pick this up and record the 2 network shows and then record the premium show at one of the other times?

SBergstc
I *think* if 3 shows want to record at one time, the recordings will occur on priority.

SBergstc

It works exactly like a Tivo. It will record in your priority order. So make sure your shows that only show once and that's it (networks) are higher then those from shows with multiple showings (HBO, SciFi, USA, etc.)

Again, works exactly like a Tivo in terms of the season pass manager. The cool thing about the HR20 over the Tivo though is that if you set to record something (say a movie or baseball game) and there is already 2 shows set to record it will give you the choice of which of those 2 you which to cancel (or cancel the one time recording you are attempting to do).

Thanks Scott that's the answer I was hoping for. Logically I figured it would be the same and I scheduled my programming just that way (it was that way on the Tivo unit...). Now I can rest and be relatively sure our shows will record.

Take care and thanks again everyone for your quick responses.
SBergstc

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts