Need a little help ID'ing a Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Long Hair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Mo
I other day I read a lady had some scrap metal to give away and in the list I read Big Satellite Dish.So I emailed her and she said it was mesh and about 6ft. Later I gave her my cell # and she sent me a pic. So what do you all think,does it look like a 6 footer or maybe bigger,Should I drive out to get it(about a 40min drive).My gut tells me yes. Maybe someone can ID the dish by the shape of the feed cover it looks flat on the top.It hard to tell from a cell pic,but to my eyes it looks like it's in great shape. Any input would be great. Thanks Long Hair

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 245
Never pass up a free polar mount 6 foot mesh dish with a motor and an LNB with an LNB cover. See the dish next to my name? it is just like the one in your picture and I had to drive 1 hour to get it for free.

I'd say the pipe, the mount, 'n the motor are worth the trip.
The dish looks good, so if you have a use for a 6 or 7 foot dish, I'd go get it.
But, parts is parts, and whether you use it as-is, or as pieces for you or a buddy, it's a GO in my book!

By all means, GRAB IT! It will be worth it!
I had gotten hold of dishes for the electronics. I have gotten good motor drives, LNBs, and a coupla of IRDs.
If the dish is in bad shape, I would sell it to the scrap metal yard for the money. I had made over $20 just from the dish alone (aluminum). I keep the pole and mount.

OK guys, I went out and got the dish with a little help from my big little cousin. The dish was a 7.5 Perfect10,so I'm happy with my find.I even set it up in place of my old 7.5 unimesh frankendish, I haven't even tweaked it yet and the signal quality on my pci card has improved alot (example) 95west my true south most tp are at 70quality before was maybe in the 40's, so yeah I'm happy I made the trip. The mount on this thing has the center of the dish offset.I will leave some pics for you all. And if anyone has the feed distance and the F/D info for this dish please help me out. I want to make sure I have it all set right before I play with elevation,declination and so on.

Attachments

• ess.jpg
    ess.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 200
  • esd.jpg
    esd.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 212
I have the 6 foot version of that dish, I like it! got it free also. Give this program a try for finding your F/D and focal point.
hXXp://mscir.tripod.com/parabola/

Nice score there. :)

I have an old Perfect 10 Instruction and Assembly Manual, Ver 2.0, for model PT-7.5 S it says:

F/D = .375
Measured Focal Distance 33 1/4"
Mathematical Focal Distance = 33.75"

Attachments

• Sat Perfect 10 Manual Cover.JPG
    Sat Perfect 10 Manual Cover.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Sat Perfect 10 Manual Focal FD.JPG
    Sat Perfect 10 Manual Focal FD.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 184
Nice score there. :)

I have an old Perfect 10 Instruction and Assembly Manual, Ver 2.0, for model PT-7.5 S it says:

F/D = .375
Measured Focal Distance 33 1/4"
Mathematical Focal Distance = 33.75"

Thank you phlatwound that's what I came up with (33.75). I just like to double check before I do something stupid.

Oh, I forgot on my may to get this dish I spotted 2 other dishes, one looked to be 10 or 12ft mesh and the other one was a perforated dish the size was same as above 10 or 12. From the road the dish was pointing way east. So maybe when it warms up I'll talk to them, both dishes were just down the road from this one.

ok, I have a dumb ?. what is F/D = .375 on a tape measure . I'm using a DMX741 and want to know where to set it. It has numbers on the side of the lnb, but something doesn't look right when setting it @ 8

Found this if someone else had the same ? as I diid.

Inches -- f/D
.12 ------ .42
.32 ------ .40
.52 ------ .38
.72 ------ .36
.92 ------ .34
1.12 ---- .32 ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)