Need a little help setting up a ku system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Good morning. For those of you who have never used a sat beeper they are nothing like the sat meters with the gain knob. I had tryed to use a meter years ago and I found it to be trash. Plain and simple it was to hard to adjust the gain. Then when I moved the "professional" installer showed up with a beeper. I got to check it out and worked alot better than the meter. Its tone does exactly like a real dtv box that goes from low pitch to higher the closer you get. With this beeper I can follow the "arc" and count each one of the sats. I am sure I missing some of them such as the c band but with the bigger dish I can hear alot of them. I have 7 east of 101 and only 4 west of that due to trees blocking the line of sight. I may not be hearing 123 at all because I cannot find any of them real close to 119. But when I checked out the thread that had the strongest tp's I noticed my box diod not have any of the ones that were listed for the stats I was trying to hit. I am not sure if this is one of my problems or not. I have divised a new plan of attack. Tonight what I was going to do was hit a sat and blind scan it and see what happens. My thinking is that just because I cain't get a lock does not mean that I am not on it, I just may not have the correct tp on the list to lock into. I don't know if this will help but I am sure am fed up. Right now I am really thinking it is a settings problem or a lnb problem.

If an Active TP is not available from the Sats list, then you should add it manually.
If you don't have an Active TP selected, you will not get a Lock or Quality reading.

I had GREAT results last night! I managed to pull in 1 nbc news channel and 2 more channels with color bars!! Just as I suspected the sat beeper works fine. I started with the east most one I could hear due to a house in my way and it was 61.5 I know this because when I did a blind scan it finally said "locked" when going through the channels. Next I was able to hit amc 3 thats where I got a news channel and then amc 9 with only color bars. I did this by finding a sat with the beeper, verifying that I had good signal on the reciever and doing a blind scan. I have been trying to learn as much as I can about lnbs. On one of these sats I scanned 16 channels but only 1-2 channels had a signal. It has to be something with this dish/lnb. When shopping for lnb's I see combo circular and linear lnb's for sale in kits with the dishes. Could it be possible that some channels are on the circular side and some are on the linear side?? Also If I did hit a sat that lnygsat has listed as having feeds what will I see? If these is no feed will channel still be there but be blank? Tonight I'm going to go after west birds.

Circular LNBs are for "Subscription" Sats only, any Sat called Nimiq, Echostar, DirecTV would be circular. You want Linear LNBs.
Look at Lyngsat for AMC3, go to the fist listing for Ku (5 digits) "11716", that is a strong signal, and should be picked up on a Blind Scan, has 2 channels.

You won't find circular and linear on the same satellite, but you can have two satellites in the same orbital position (example 91w) where one satellite is circular (Nimiq 1) and one is linear (Galaxy 17, formerly Galaxy 11)...

How about 199 being so close to 123? With the linear lnb I can only hear/hit 119. I know this because when I do a channel scan it will pick up channels there will be no audio or video but it will say "locked 119.0 west". Thats where I am getting confused. I do not think I should be locking on to 119 with a ku lnb. I could be wrong. I notice in another thread that there is another person who cannot get a signal with this dtv world direct ku lnb either. I really wish those of you in the know would look into this lnb and see if there is something that is wrong with it for fta use. BTW, last night I hit an amc sat, caint remeber which one and I got a japan religous channela nd a japan news?? Nothing else though.

EchoStar 119 is Ku, just Circular, a Linear LNB can "pick up" Circular signals, just at such a reduced strength you can't get video / audio.
Think of the Meter as a Hearing Aide, it makes things "louder", it does not process the signal.
The Receiver, like a Stereo, needs to be listening to a specific Freq. (transponder) to process the signal. On a Stereo, you enter / tune to a specific Freq. and if a sataion is broadcasting on that same Freq. you will hear someting, otherwise you hear static.
Same with satellites, you need to be aligned exactly at a Sat and have one of it's Active Transponders pre-progammed and selected, the "Quality" indicator will Light Up, scan and you will get a picture.
Keep at it, you are almost there, just letting logic get in the way. This stuff doesn't always make sense, but it works.

IMO those beeper thingis are junk. They are ok when looking for DBS sats which are far apart(9 degrees) but no good for linear sats. Case in point is your aiming for 123 and being lead to 119. Use your reciever with it set on a known transponder for the bird you are aiming for and you will hit it everytime.

Lak7's analgy of a stereo is a good one. If you are using a meter that picks up the whole band at once (same as beeper thing) all you know is that you are getting some of that band, I doesn't know that you might be looking for a specific frequency (but your reciever does).;)

Well I finally hit 123. The beeper is well worth the money( not a sat meter) Once I leveled the pole perfect and set the skew I lost hearing 119 and found 123 very easily. Its like it jumped out of the sky and screamed in my ears! I spent the first night watching night rider and magnum pi! I see now how the skew works. I was thinking I could use the beepr to pull them in with out it and you can on some sats, but when sats are close together it cannot tell them apart unless you are skewed for that sat. I will be putting togther a little post to help others zero in on the sats that they want and explain in detail why it is the way it is. Last night I spent another 4 hrs flying around the sky hitting sat after sat. I will also make another how to on how to become an alcoholic in 7 days while trying to set up a FTA system!

Now I think I am ready for a motor. If anyone can please tell me how it works? Once you get it set up do you just drive the motor until you have signal? Also who has the cheapest prices? Right now it looks like fleabay. Also hould I buyy a new dish to go with the motor? would that make installation easier by buying a matched combo?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

I will also make another how to on how to become an alcoholic in 7 days while trying to set up a FTA system!
3 days!

You want a "USALS" motor, I use the SG2100, sponsors at top of page have them.
It's easy to setup a Motor, you just have to get the details, as you know.

Once you get it set up do you just drive the motor until you have signal?
Not really, you first mechanically align to your True South Sat, it's the Sat closest to your Longitude - it's the highest in the arc for your location.
Then in the Receiver's Sat / Dish setup menu, you select "USALS" for the Motor type and enter Your Long. and Lat. The receiver can then calc. how far to move from one Sat to another based on the info you entered and the Orbital Location that is programmed in your Sat List (Galaxy 18 @ 123 west) Once setup, you select the Sat you want to scan, and the receiver will tell the motor how far to travel. After you have channels scanned in, you just change channels and the receiver does the rest.

This page can help....
Satellite Look Angles Satellite Heading Calculator Azimuth Elevation Skew Tilt LNBF Latitude and Longitude values
Enter your location and select your motor from the Sat List and click Go.

Motor Latitude - is set to Your Long.
Dish Elevation - possible (+ / -) a few degs. from what the page shows.
Azimuth - Using Compass
Skew - Zero, when the Motor turns the Dish, it also skews the LNB.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts