need a new receiver advice/answers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

madmadworld

Official TV Watcher
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 7, 2006
up on the roof in SinCity
system 3)HR20-100S's, and 1) HR23-700 with a slimline dish and a 5 or 6 x 8 multi sw with 4 inputs in.

the HR23-700 died thread later

if i get a hr24 or hr34 i would need to add a SWM unit with a power inserter........... right or wrong ?
if so how would that effect the 3)HR20-100S's ? .......if at all.

if i get a hr34 would have a added charge of $3 for Whole Home DVR.......right or wrong ?

would be buying a used owned hr24 or hr34 ,so a hr44 is not a option now.
thanks for reading

If you replace the HR23 with an HR24, no change. If you get an HR34, then you must have a swm setup, which will require whole home. As I mentioned in the other thread, I hope they don't ding you for opening the HR23. Careful if you get either an HR34 or HR23 used, make sure it's owned by contacting the access card department to verify.

system 3)HR20-100S's, and 1) HR23-700 with a slimline dish and a 5 or 6 x 8 multi sw with 4 inputs in.

the HR23-700 died thread later

if i get a hr24 or hr34 i would need to add a SWM unit with a power inserter........... right or wrong ?
if so how would that effect the 3)HR20-100S's ? .......if at all.

if i get a hr34 would have a added charge of $3 for Whole Home DVR.......right or wrong ?

would be buying a used owned hr24 or hr34 ,so a hr44 is not a option now.
thanks for reading

Well I highly doubt you're going to find an owned HR34 but a HR24 is possible. Chip missed something, you'll require a SWM16 if you go with a 34 due to having 11 tuners which wouldn't be that bad as you already have a 6X8 in use

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I did say he would need a swm setup, but I didn't specifically mention the swm16 since I figured Directv would be doing the install.

I did say he would need a swm setup, but I didn't specifically mention the swm16 since I figured Directv would be doing the install.

I figured he was doing self install except now that think about it a 34/44 requires a tech no matter what :)

It's my understanding that any upgrade to swm requires a tech to verify the swm.

look at my signature i am a do it yourself Sat guy. lol

Unless you are an install tech for Directv, they don't care. They want to verify that everything is correct. Without that, I doubt they will send you a Genie, or authorize one you get elsewhere.

Unless you are an install tech for Directv, they don't care. They want to verify that everything is correct. Without that, I doubt they will send you a Genie, or authorize one you get elsewhere.

If he doesn't have one already, there is no way they can say he can't get one on his own, ala Solid Signal or elsewhere.

IF he buys it and all the other stuff needed and sets it up and has a picture and calls to activate it, they can't say, You cant have it.

Sure they can! How do they know he has a swm, much less that it's installed correctly if they didn't install it? It may work when first authorized, but if something goes wrong later, they will have to come out to fix it.

Why would the Genie require a tech install?

Did you actually read this thread? A Genie requires a swm setup. Directv requires verification of it before they will authorize a Genie. I would guess it's the same with an H25 install.

Did you actually read this thread? A Genie requires a swm setup. Directv requires verification of it before they will authorize a Genie. I would guess it's the same with an H25 install.

Oddly no, H25's don't but genies do. Direct for some reason believes they must send a tech out. As for Jimbo, they won't activate it. I've actual rolled on service calls where they had everything done already with the activation screen up already and Directv REQUIRED a tech come there and activate it. I'm assuming replacements can/will be activated but upgrades, installs are a no go

If he doesn't have one already, there is no way they can say he can't get one on his own, ala Solid Signal or elsewhere.

IF he buys it and all the other stuff needed and sets it up and has a picture and calls to activate it, they can't say, You cant have it.
I did this 2 weeks or so ago... de-activated 2 old H20-600's and activated an HR34, no problems with activation at all, I had installed SWM several months ago.

I did this 2 weeks or so ago... de-activated 2 old H20-600's and activated an HR34, no problems with activation at all, I had installed SWM several months ago.

You installed the swm? Did a tech ever verify it?

That's interesting. Was Directv aware of it before you got the Genie? I'm wondering why they didn't want to verify your install? Maybe it got listed as such somehow.

Sure they can! How do they know he has a swm, much less that it's installed correctly if they didn't install it? It may work when first authorized, but if something goes wrong later, they will have to come out to fix it.
I respectfully disagree ...

I have set up every recvr I have ever owned and called to have activated...

Once again, people seem to think this is rocket science.

I set up my own SWM when I got it, not D*.
Everything works fine.

If I ever get a Genie, I would probably have D* do it, but thats only because they will cover the expense if anything needs to be upgraded.

More than likely, I have everything I would need already in place.

Place the HR44, replace the HR24 and run thru the set up and I should be good to go.

Now the reason that a tech may need to come out would be to explain things about the recvr that I don't know about, but as far as setting it up.... it's not rocket science.

Fwiw, I installed/replaced a recvr a few weeks back and didn't even have to call, just activated it online.

Last edited:
Oddly no, H25's don't but genies do. Direct for some reason believes they must send a tech out. As for Jimbo, they won't activate it. I've actual rolled on service calls where they had everything done already with the activation screen up already and Directv REQUIRED a tech come there and activate it. I'm assuming replacements can/will be activated but upgrades, installs are a no go

Thats interesting.

I installed my own swm too Jimbo, and it works like it's supposed to. Except for dfergie's post, every Genie install I have read about required a tech visit if the swm wasn't confirmed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)