Need advice for a system

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Deacon_Jones

Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
Hello All,

This is an excellent forum. Looking for advice for equipment.

I am currently a long time *DTV customer and a recently upset ex-VOOM customer. I live in Hazleton Pa, 18201 and looking at getting my first FTA system.

I figure my budget would be about $600.00 to start any help on dish, receiver etc... would be very appreciated. :)

Hello and Welcome to the SatelliteGuys FTA forum :wave

I like and use the Fortec Ultra receiver it has it all.

AC3 Audio / Blind Scan / USALS

If you can hold out a few weeks the BEST LNBF you will be able to get will be the new Invacom CP/LP QPH-031 LNBF

As for a motor I like the SG2100, the bigger the dish the better, 30" minimum around 1m would be even better!

Hi Deacon_Jones, welcome to SatelliteGuys FTA :)

Your budget allows you to buy some of the best equipment so here are my recommendations:

Coolsat Pro, $130-$170 depending where you shop, I've used this receiver for a week and it's absolutely superb.
Invacom SNH-031 LNB, $40-50 - see the reviews.
SG2100 motor, $70-100, one of the better motors out there, has East/West switches on the motor to peak your true South satellite, makes aiming a lot easier.
As for choice of dish you have a huge choice with $300 left over.
Most of us cut our teeth with the Winegard 76cm but have since moved up to something bigger, check out the reviews on the Fortec dishes - the bigger the better :)

Be very careful buying from eBay, there are some good vendors but some can be shady and offer no support if you're sent faulty/incorrect gear.

If you have any more questions there's always somebody here to help out.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was just reading the review of that receiver and the Cool Sat 4000 Plus. Yes I can week a few weeks...I waiting now since Monsters HD is gone :(.

Don't really want to leave DTV since they are during that MPEG4 upgrade Since DISH does not want to waive the install fee for the 2nd dish I already have mounted on my house I said I will put my money into a FTA system.

Again thanks alot for the quick reply.

welcome :wave

I've worked with the Coolsat and the Pansats and they both are real nice units.
As both of the compadres said above, the Invacom is a nice LNB. Really helps pull the signals in.
I use the SG2100 and a 30" dish right now. In the process of upgrading to a 36"
The bigger dish will help pull in the weaker signals. Combine this with the Invacom and there is a lot you will pick up :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts