Need advice - fraudulent charges

Status
Please reply by conversation.
do you really think they will attempt all 10000 combinations? Please. And if you were doing the right thing you will change the PIN every month which will screw any attempts to the above.

there is a 50/50 chance you would only need to try 5000.:D

I'm taking a guess here, but I bet the PIN on her new remote is the same as the one on her old E* account or something easily guessed by a family member (b-day, telephone number, street address). Like others have mentioned, she should change it to something random and be careful not to write it down anywhere. She might also log into her account at D* and double check that there aren't any unaccounted for receivers.

Is she married and/or does she have any teenage sons?

after they turn on the 100 nude hd channels it should no longer be a problem.

GUILTY as charged, there is a pervert in the house..... btw, on all my sat boxes, if there is no phone line connected, you cannot order PPV with the remote, It forces you to either call or order on line

btw, on all my sat boxes, if there is no phone line connected, you cannot order PPV with the remote, It forces you to either call or order on line

This is not necessarily true. If D* is told a phone line is connected at installation but there is no phone line you will still be able to order PPV for the first 2 months or so. At that point the box will realize it's unable to call out and will give you PPV ts code ext 731 or 733. Then you must connect the phone line and force a callback to allow ppv to continue. This is most likely what happened and the customers son/husband/ or whomever called in about the ext 731. Was probably told to connect phoneline and csr forced a callback. This is when all previous PPVs were uploaded to D* and the customers bill was charged. When I was a csr I saw it many many times. The history screen on the box cannot lie. It is a summary of what has been ordered on that box only not the entire account. No way to hack that.

My recommendation would be for the customer to call D* and ask them to turn off all PPV by remote and OPPV by phone or online. Then she can place a password of any combination of numbers and letters on the account itself. Then only she has access to the account itself.

As far as who might be ordering the PPV, like I said the box history does not lie. Either someone in the house is ordering these PPVs or someone is breaking into her house and ordering them. If they show on the box history they were ordered using the remote control. Period!!! She also might want to think about paying Dish for the PPVs from her Dish account. It's the right thing to do because this is an obvious problem in her family and is not E* or D*s fault.

You can order via remote without a phone line UNTIL the access card becomes full. That is either by dollar limit set by DirecTV or by "total order slots".

Okay - I hear you all loud and clear. However; she still stands by the fact that no one could have ordered it. What about this angle....

Someone mentioned to me that when they switched to Directv that she may have received a refurbished box and that it is possible that box could have had some movies on it previously. Then when a phone line was plugged in (which she claims has never been done) it alerted Directv that there were movies ordered. Is this possible?

The previous problems with Dish I would have to think were mostly fraudulent just the way things went - from me listening to her talking/yelling with customer service and getting 20 different answers. I'm thinking someone on the corporate side could have stole their account somehow? That has been mentioned to me as well. She is going to hook up her Dish box tomorrow to see what the history says. Maybe that will shed some light. However Dish would never provide her with a list of movies they were charging her for. Her online statements didn't work, and even after requests, she has not received anything from them except a delinquent notice on the charges she was able to dispute through her bank.

This was just a lesson learned. She wasn't paying close enough attention to her bank statement.

OK Standage - enough informative posts have been sent to you regarding this "mystery" for an honest reply about what you/she has found. What did you find out?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)