Need Advice - Moving E* to D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MI_SAT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
I am presently with E*, but have had a lot of equipment probs with my 508 latelty (artifacting, audio and video "skipping", etc). I had to return a 508 within two months of owning it. This one has lasted a little over a year.

I am considering switching to D*, but I cannot live without a DVR. Most of the D* offers I've seen (Directv.com, Americansatellite.com, etc.) don't appear to allow me to have two DVRs. They all seem to offer one DVR and one "standard" receiver.

Can you please offer advice on how I might get the equipment I want versus just what retailers are offering? Also, are there any particular receiver brands that are better than others?

Thank you in advance.

SD for now. I have an HDTV, but will wait until there is more content.

I just switched from E* to D*.

I got my system installed from Value electronics. couldnt be happier!

My 501 & 508 will be on ebay shortly :D

Just another switch over story to add to my collection. Glad to hear you have made the switch to the home of the real DVR. I must point out one thing you said that really isn't right to do- "I have an HDTV, but will wait until there is more content". If you have an HDTV please feed it an HD signal, plain and simple. That would be like if you went out a bought a $200,000 sportscar, specially designed for high speeds, then you went and NEVER drove it over 5mph for the next 30 years. This is what you doing right now, you have an HDTV, that you paid alot for the world of TV's, specially designed for HD content, and you refuse to feed it an HD signal. There is PLUNTY of HD content available right now, in fact I am watching a live HD feed now, it let me tell you its the best advance in TV since color. Please don't have an HDTV if your not going to feed an HD signal!

I hear you, Mini, but my top priority is DVR. I would eventually like the combined TIVO/HD unit, but not for $1000+.

This is what I did:

I have two TVs (NO HDTV). On one TV I had them connect 2 standard D10 Receivers. I had them install 2 because I want dual coax lines there for future Tivo use.

On the other TV I got a dual tuner Hughes SD40 Tivo.

I plan on selling the 2 standard receivers soon and buy the HR10-250 when my HDTV comes in.

They also installed a Multi Satellite Triple LNB Dish and the Wineguard SquareShooter OTA Antenna.

MI_SAT said:
I hear you, Mini, but my top priority is DVR. I would eventually like the combined TIVO/HD unit, but not for $1000+.
Why not sign-up for DirecTV and get your two DirecTivo's. after a few months call customer retention and get yourself a $99 HD STB to go along with your SD DirecTivo on the HDTV? Then when you are ready go for the best HD DVR currently on the market, the HD DirecTivo. :D

mini1 said:
Why not sign-up for DirecTV and get your two DirecTivo's. after a few months call customer retention and get yourself a $99 HD STB to go along with your SD DirecTivo on the HDTV? Then when you are ready go for the best HD DVR currently on the market, the HD DirecTivo. :D
Other recent new customers have said they tried for a $99 HD STB and were turned down (Neutron comes to mind). I think people have said that you have to be a customer for at least a year to get any type of deal.

I have heard of a few that got the $99 deal being a sub for a few months. It is much harder, but it can be done.

Hey guys, I've decided to make the switch from E* to D* too so that I can get a DIRECTV HD DVR HR10-250. My only concern is the cabling. Does D* offer any solutions like E* for single cable runs. I will just have the one dual tuner receiver but I would rather not drill a bigger whole in the wall of my condo to bring the extra cabling through. If I drill the new hole I'll be running two cables across the floor and have to deal with the new hole/jack in the wall. My D* cable run is now currently hidden nicely behind my floor molding. Oddly, the cable run will drive me nuts but the wife probably won't care. Thanks!

Nope, D* doesn't have the single cable solution. You need a total of three connections, two for D* and one for an OTA antenna. You could use a diplexor and out the OTA and D* on a single cable, cutting you down to two runs. Also, D*'s box will run with only one DBS connection if you want only one tuner to work.

mini1,

The Sonora Dual DIRECTV® DStacker for TiVo Receivers (D575D) looks perfect and would be worth every penny but I'm going to have to plead ignorance on getting it done. I'm looking at the home installations on Sonora's website and it looks like I may need more than the D575D alone. As an electronics guru can you tell me what equipment I would need aside from the standard DirecTV install (with new Phase 3 Triple LNB). Then all I would need is the new winegard squareshooter for local hdtv and I'll be set.

No, I don't currently use one, but I have heard of a number of people who do, and say it works great if you can't make that other cable run. I think it is worth its price too, I just don't know why more places don't sell it or more people don't know about it. I would try one, if I didn't own my house.

you will need what ever your install requires, maybe it will mean more coax cables? I Can't say what you will need, as I don't have a good discription of what exactly you want, to go by.

FYI - I contacted Sonora Designs directly today about their stacking/destacking equipment. Apparently it does not do the job for the HD DirecTivo that requires access to all three orbital slots. You would still need two cable runs. The equipment will work with all other DirecTivos, however.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)