Need Advice-New Construction Home Directv Wiring

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just put a box on every wall and drop down a 2 foot section of smurf conduit into the crawl. Then u can run whatever u need to in the future.

As far as the spots where u know u will have something, I recommend two RG6 and two cat-6

Definitely would be better putting some kind of wire channel that would allow you to fish whatever is needed when it is needed - chances are connectivity requirements will change many times throughout the life of your house. I would also suggest putting the largest reasonable size possible (1" to 1 1/2" would be good) with as few bends as possible (a straight shot to the crawl space or attic would be great).

What speed does GigE give you when you PLUG A 10/100 DEVICE INTO IT?
In terms of an MRV scenario, it gives you what ever the lowest maximum speed of the pair of devices is, mostly regardless of other network traffic. DECA starts with as much as 175Mbps (for the entire cloud) and divides it by the number of WHDS sessions less overhead and any Internet traffic in the cloud.

It is important to understand that the PHY mesh rate that the HR24 reports is much higher than the MAC rate typically used in network throughput comparisons.

In terms of an MRV scenario, it gives you what ever the lowest maximum speed of the pair of devices is, mostly regardless of other network traffic. DECA starts with as much as 175Mbps (for the entire cloud) and divides it by the number of WHDS sessions less overhead and any Internet traffic in the cloud.

It is important to understand that the PHY mesh rate that the HR24 reports is much higher than the MAC rate typically used in network throughput comparisons.

Ok so since you couldn't read between the lines that it is pointless to run your MRV over your home network, let me spell it out for you in crayon..

It doesn't matter that DECA has a fixed pool of bandwidth, because for any given household it is plenty. A 720p/1080i MP4 stream is only going to use 5-6Mpbs AT MOST. So if you have 10 DVRs and every one of them is watching a stream from another one, you STILL have three times more bandwidth than you need to support MRV available at any given time. That's what it was designed specifically to do. It works just fine. Nobody 'suffers' with it unless they have more than 30 TVs.

By all means run GigE throughout the house. Nothing wrong with it, I have it in every room and it ties all my media STBs and two HTPCs to an 8TB file/media server. You know how often the speeds go over 10Mbps? Only when I'm offloading a fresh rip, or one of my computers is saving its nightly backup. It's great for copying files, but for streaming to a STB it's basically a waste. NOTHING streams higher than 10Mb or so. There is no reason whatsoever to use it for MRV claiming its better, because it's not.

I will not claim its better but mine has worked flawlessly from day one without a glitch, stutter, hiccup, pop or drop; even HD. I say go with whatever method fits one's needs best; including the out of wallet $$. I had all the networking gear and lines because I do the exact same thing you do regarding mega TB media server and storage throughout the house, so paying for or having a truck roll to come in and do a DECA setup was a total waste of time, money and effort for me since I know my setup best and didn't need anyone F'ing with my gear and the "unsupported" method works perfectly.

Last edited:
Definitely would be better putting some kind of wire channel that would allow you to fish whatever is needed when it is needed - chances are connectivity requirements will change many times throughout the life of your house. I would also suggest putting the largest reasonable size possible (1" to 1 1/2" would be good) with as few bends as possible (a straight shot to the crawl space or attic would be great).

LOL thinking alike post #14

I will not claim its better but mine has worked flawlessly from day one without a glitch, stutter, hiccup, pop or drop; even HD. I say go with whatever method fits one's needs best; including the out of wallet $$. I had all the networking gear and lines because I do the exact same thing you do regarding mega TB media server and storage throughout the house, so paying for or having a truck roll to come in and do a DECA setup was a total waste of time, money and effort for me since I know my setup best and didn't need anyone F'ing with my gear and the "unsupported" method works perfectly.

I can appreciate that, but harshness seems to think that DECA is a horrible system that never works, and that running MRV over your gigabit network will magically give you superior results compared to it. And I can see where as an existing customer with tech background you did not want to pay for a service call and hardware. But the OP is building a new house and will get DECA installed free when the system is put in. Pretty much all new customers would be in this boat, because D* is actively pushing MRV and VOD to new customers when they sign up. As you have probably gathered I am a total geek and love setting things up my way. My system was installed with DECA and I would not switch it to ethernet for any reason (short of a major DECA malfunction that I was somehow responsible for paying for to get it working again) because it works perfectly.

In this case, there is no reason to use ethernet, especially because a majority of people wouldn't know their ass from an IP address to set things up properly or know where to start when something doesn't work (thereby keeping people like me in business). They need something that is directly supported by Directv so that if it stops working they can fix it.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)