Need advice on HD DVR.... upgrading to HD from non HD DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

37driver

Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
Please forgive my ignorance, I know very little about this equipment. I currently have a non HD DVR and was thinking of upgrading to HD. I'm reading that the new HR20-700model HD DVR has lot's of problems. Is it going to be a PITA if i get this unit. Does any other company such as Sony have one that will work with this provider? Also, I'm reading that if I get this unit from them it's a lease? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

You are pretty much stuck with HR20.

There are Tivo-based HR10-250's, but you won't be able to receive the majority of the D*'s HDTV channels (once the major rollout begins soon) because it doesn't decode mpeg4 channels.

There is also good reason to believe that there will be a HR21 model coming out shortly, but it is rumored to be basically the same as HR20.

I used the HR10-250 and love it, but will probably have to switch over once the new HD channels come online.

Jim

D* has done a lot of software updates to correct the problems with the HR20, so it is probably the most stable platform they have now.

As far as the lease goes, yes, it will be leased with a two year commitment unless you're willing to spend approximately $800 to own it.

I just for the HR20-100 after a couple of years with the HR10-250. Since the new HD channels come on in a couple of weeks, it's time for me to move to the new platform.

Don't worry. It basically works fine and software updates come in very frequently. It was very buggy, but they have seemed to squashed most of the problems. And no, no one makes a unit you can purchase.

When it was installed yesterday, I saw that it wasn't intuitive to delete an item on your To Do list. But this morning I woke up to a new firmware update and there was a very simple way added to do this deletion! Nice to see these frequent updates and feature enhancements.

Further, there will soon be VOD and the ability to remotely program via the internet. And it already acts as a media receiver and shows my photos and music from my PC. My old Tivo can't do that and won't be able to do some of these things until sometime next year.

Going to the 20 is like going to Vista on the PC. It's not going away, and it's the future. If you want the new HD channels, there is no choice.

I just for the HR20-100 after a couple of years with the HR10-250. Since the new HD channels come on in a couple of weeks, it's time for me to move to the new platform.

Don't worry. It basically works fine and software updates come in very frequently. It was very buggy, but they have seemed to squashed most of the problems. And no, no one makes a unit you can purchase.

When it was installed yesterday, I saw that it wasn't intuitive to delete an item on your To Do list. But this morning I woke up to a new firmware update and there was a very simple way added to do this deletion! Nice to see these frequent updates and feature enhancements.

Further, there will soon be VOD and the ability to remotely program via the internet. And it already acts as a media receiver and shows my photos and music from my PC. My old Tivo can't do that and won't be able to do some of these things until sometime next year.

Going to the 20 is like going to Vista on the PC. It's not going away, and it's the future. If you want the new HD channels, there is no choice.

Thanks for the report. I imagine I will be joining you soon.

Jim

Get the HR20 and get it now. The demand is going to be very high, once the new channels are activated, and that is going to be real soon. Most of the problems with the HR20 are old news, and IMO, it is a really nice DVR. It's different than the previous offerings, but in many ways, it is different "good".

The upside of the lease is that if the hard drive dies, or something else goes wrong with a particular unit, DIRECTV will replace it for free (well, $19.95 S/H outside the 90 day warranty period). If you carry the protection plan, the S/H is waived, as well.

Get the HR20 and get it now. The demand is going to be very high, once the new channels are activated, and that is going to be real soon. Most of the problems with the HR20 are old news, and IMO, it is a really nice DVR. It's different than the previous offerings, but in many ways, it is different "good".

The upside of the lease is that if the hard drive dies, or something else goes wrong with a particular unit, DIRECTV will replace it for free (well, $19.95 S/H outside the 90 day warranty period). If you carry the protection plan, the S/H is waived, as well.

Good accurate info here, thanks I didn't have to type it :):):)

Also :welcome to the site !

Jimbo

Thanks for the advice guys. I called customer retention and got this on the first try:

HR20
Installation and a 5 LNB Dish
6 months free HD
3 month HBO/Cinemax package
3 month Starz package
6 month Showtime package
for $19.95

They offered the install as soon as next week, unfortunately I'm out of town and had to
settle for the next week.

Thanks again.

By the way, they offered a second HR20 on the same deal if I activated it but I only have one HDTV at the moment. The guy told me to call back in 6 months if I got another and they would get me another HR20. (after a little thinking, I called back and tried to get the second HR20 anyway to use on a non HD tv and was told by another lady in retention that it would be $299.00. I guess I should have jumped when I had the chance.)

Last edited:
Call back. If that is what they said it willbe in your account notes. The CSR just did not look at all the notes.

I held off as long as I could on the Hr20 but with the new channels coming, I had too get one. I've had mine for two weeks and I really like it.

The whole family has been been using it constantly and it's checking out just fine. Glad to see you have pulled the trigger!

Thanks for the advice guys. I called customer retention and got this on the first try:

HR20
Installation and a 5 LNB Dish
6 months free HD
3 month HBO/Cinemax package
3 month Starz package
6 month Showtime package
for $19.95

They offered the install as soon as next week, unfortunately I'm out of town and had to
settle for the next week.

Thanks again.

By the way, they offered a second HR20 on the same deal if I activated it but I only have one HDTV at the moment. The guy told me to call back in 6 months if I got another and they would get me another HR20. (after a little thinking, I called back and tried to get the second HR20 anyway to use on a non HD tv and was told by another lady in retention that it would be $299.00. I guess I should have jumped when I had the chance.)
So, I've called them before trying to get a deal like you're referring to and it hasn't worked. Can you outline your conversation for me to help me get a cool deal like yours? I mean, did you just complain about your system, reception, problems or did you just ask for a deal straight out? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

So, I've called them before trying to get a deal like you're referring to and it hasn't worked. Can you outline your conversation for me to help me get a cool deal like yours? I mean, did you just complain about your system, reception, problems or did you just ask for a deal straight out? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
IF you complain about your rec. and such , they will just want to send out a tech to see what kind of problem your having... how will that get you a better deal.

You want a better deal, call back in a few times,, when you hear somrthing you like, TAKE IT, you won't be offered it again.
Figure out what you consider to be fair ahead of time, be reasonable ....
People here that are saying they got everything for free (excluding discounted programming or a monthly discount to subsidise the cost are leading you astray) If you call in and say so and so got this for free and you want it like that too, you won't get it.

Most of the people that get the better deals are long time subs, or those that pay ahead of time, or those that are in great standing with their accounts.

These type of things get you better deals.

Don't expect to get things for nothing an you won't be disappointed, be reasonable.
The HR20's run $ 749 and you get it for $299 or less, usually less.

I thought about buying one, but realized that it only cost me $5 p/m thats $ 60 a year, that would be about 12 years I would have to have it to make that money back.
With technology changing as quickly as it has, I would be crazy to buy anymore, also if you have any problems, they replace it, it's not coming out of your pocket to buy another one, possibly $20 shipping and handling.

Jimbo

The HR20's run $ 749 and you get it for $299 or less, usually less.

I thought about buying one, but realized that it only cost me $5 p/m thats $ 60 a year, that would be about 12 years I would have to have it to make that money back.

You'd pay the same $4.99/month fee whether it was owned (additional receiver fee) or leased (lease fee).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)