Need advice on upgrading.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

holman3rd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
I'm considering switching to FiOS. Well, not seriously b/c I love my NFL Ticket.

I currently have the old dish with 1 regular box, 1 HD box, and 1 HD Tivo box. I'd like to upgrade to the new dish and get 3 HR-20's (I think those are the new HD DVRs???).

Can anyone provide advice on what number I should call (customer retention) and how I should approach the phone call and what I can expect in terms of a deal? I've been a customer for 5 years and currently have the following packages:

Total Choice
HBO + Sports
Sunday Ticket
HD tier

I pay 4.99 (x2) for the two extra boxes I have in addition to the $5.99 DVR fee. I currently own all my boxes. What happens to these charges if I lease the 3 new boxes? I gather from reading this forum that leasing is the way to go.

It looks like from the D* website that the new boxes cost $199 each. I'd rather not pay $600 for 3, so that's where I'm looking for a deal. Free trials on programming and/or discounts is nice, but ideally I'd like to cut down the cost of the new boxes.

Thanks.

Yes call Directv, ask for retention and say exactly that, you are thinking of going to FIOS. Then to keep you, what can of deal can you do to get 3 HR20's the HD DVR's including new dish and installation. Now you may not get all for free, but one or 2 would be a good deal with credits. So call, be nice and reasonable and see what they offer. If its really bad, hang up and call back another time. But as long as its the retention group, they are pretty reasonable to deal with.

Thanks. I'm certainly not trying to be unreasonable, so I don't expect everything free. I'm just trying to get an idea of what type of deal I can get. Sounds like it's very dependant on who you get on the phone.

Do you know what the retention phone number is? (Is there a direct number or do I just call the main number and ask?)

Sorry, I know you already said to just call DTV, but I thought I recalled the direct number being posted here a while back.

There's a VERY long thread at What the Deals are, and what are you being told by CSR? - DBSTalk.Com where people have posted their experiences with trying to get MPEG4 upgrade deals with D*. There is no direct phone number to retention anymore, you need to call the normal number and when chatty cathy asks what you want say cancel service, that gets you to retention.

There is no direct phone number to retention anymore, you need to call the normal number and when chatty cathy asks what you want say cancel service, that gets you to retention.

I call retention direct all the time, including 2 days ago when I got all my stuff for free. I don't tell them I'm thinking about canceling. I just ask them for want I want, tell them what I hear other people getting equipment for, and that I've been a long term customer. Talking to someone in retention is 10x better them talking to a cust support rep.

I call retention direct all the time, including 2 days ago when I got all my stuff for free. I don't tell them I'm thinking about canceling. I just ask them for want I want, tell them what I hear other people getting equipment for, and that I've been a long term customer. Talking to someone in retention is 10x better them talking to a cust support rep.

What number are you using then since others have reported that the 800 number that they had for retention doesn't work anymore.

Rad,

Unfortunately, that number is at home and I am at work.

I do know it's 1-800-600 something. So I searched for that online and found 1-800-600-8977. I won't know for sure if that's the number I used until I verify it when I get home.

It's probably worth a try now, though.

D

Thanks for all the info. I read the DBS thread (the most recent posts) and the latest post is from a guy who got three new HR-20's for $19.95.

I just sent an email to D* asking for the same deal. Hopefully they will call back.

I'm at the point now where FiOS will soon be available and I have Comcast hounding me to sign up for their "Triple Play" (I am already a Comcast internet subscriber).

I paid $500 for my current HR10-250 Tivo box and know that I will eventually have to upgrade my entire system to MPEG-4. I basically explained to D* that I want to remain a customer, but if it is going to cost me a lot to upgrade my current system (one which I already have a lot of money invested in), then I have to seriously consider switching providers. I then mentioned that I "have been hearing" about the free HR-20 upgrade deals.

Stay tuned.

OK, here's what I was able to get:

HR20 DVR: Free
H20 receiver: Free
HD Tier: Free for 6 months
Handling Fee: $19.95
Installation: August 31. This was the 1st date available, but it works out well b/c I'm off that week.

They wouldn't budge on giving me 2 HR20's b/c they said they have to wait 6 months before I can get another one. I've heard that before, but didn't push. Although I wanted 3 HD DVRs, I really only "need" 2. Since I currently have the HR10-250, I figured it's not a problem to wait.

Even if I have to pay $199 for a 2nd HR20 (to replace my HR10), I'm not going to complain b/c I still think it's a great deal.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts