Need antenna Recomendation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Gray Hair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
N WV
My brother is looking for an antenna, presently looking at a Antennasdirect clear stream 4V antenna, because he can walk into BestBuy and pick it up for $150. He is not technical. Present antenna is a combination antenna that had been used in a prior situation, beat to pieces by wind and has lost some previous reception. He desires to point it North to Pittsburgh, pick up one local UHF, and stations to the south. Local station is East of direction to Pittsburgh. Line of sight is decent, on top of a hill in Northern WV. The wind is destructive, especially on larger antennas. He asked about a preamp and I told him it could over ride the local station and to wait and see. His reception is a lot better than mine.

Channels received:

2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 19, 22, 40,53

A. The concerns are will it reach the stations with the terrain regardless whether it is UHF or VHF?

B. Will it hold up to wind and elements?

C. Will it work without a rotor?

D. I am not seeing a good mileage on the reach of this antenna.

E. Other thoughts?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=d243da0d7475a3

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/antenna...enna/6761173.p?id=1219238019916&skuId=6761173

Thanks for your support.

Sometimes antenna selection and installation is more art than science. Local experience is sometimes more accurate than 'crunching' signal levels with gain/loss in the system. (Especially when they don't show 'the numbers' for their product.
A. The concerns are will it reach the stations with the terrain regardless whether it is UHF or VHF?
I would think so, but only trying it will confirm. Signal levels are 'decent' for the channels in the upper part of the list.

Your guess is as good as mine. I do know of a couple of the 2
element UHF models in the area that have been in service here for about 4 yrs and, without getting too close, seem to be intact.
Maybe a smaller antenna would suffice in lew of the larger clearstream?? HD1080X ???
Any directional antenna will work with a rotor. But if a rotor is a consideration, I would choose a yagi style antenna.
But if the antenna is to be split to more than one TV I'd not use a rotor.
Maybe two antennas combined?? one aimed at the VHF Lo and Hi + UHF (yagi style) to the SW and another UHF [only] aimed North. A CM4221HD ??
You're right. I looked for that model at numerous sites and there's no specifications listed that I could find.

Maybe build a StealthHawk for signal level testing?? Maybe as permanent. Maybe with with a preamp?? A thread here

My brother is looking for an antenna, presently looking at a Antennasdirect clear stream 4V antenna, because he can walk into BestBuy and pick it up for $150. He is not technical. Present antenna is a combination antenna that had been used in a prior situation, beat to pieces by wind and has lost some previous reception. He desires to point it North to Pittsburgh, pick up one local UHF, and stations to the south. Local station is East of direction to Pittsburgh. Line of sight is decent, on top of a hill in Northern WV. The wind is destructive, especially on larger antennas. He asked about a preamp and I told him it could over ride the local station and to wait and see. His reception is a lot better than mine.

Channels received:

2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 19, 22, 40,53

E. Other thoughts?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=d243da0d7475a3

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/antenna...enna/6761173.p?id=1219238019916&skuId=6761173

Thanks for your support.
I don't think the Clear Stream 4V is a good use of your $150 it is primarily a 4bay UHF antenna with a single VHF dipole at the top.
Channel 5 CBS is a LOW VHF channel. Channels 7/9/10/11/12/13 are all HIGH VHF and either 1 edge or 2 edge not what the Clear Stream is designed for.

can anyone make a recommendation on the channel master 4228hd i am thinking of getting one if you have one what do you think of it your experiences with it any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Allen bluegras

can anyone make a recommendation on the channel master 4228hd i am thinking of getting one if you have one what do you think of it your experiences with it any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Allen bluegras
Hi Allen. It will be easier for someone to help you if you could go to http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29 and enter your address/proposed antenna height then post back the link to your report. Someone can then take a look at it and tell you if this is a good choice or recommend something else for you. :)

It took me many tries before I found something that worked well for me. I ended up with a Clearstream 2V. Given BB's return policy, I would say give it a try, but return it if it doesn't work well enough. Based on his tvfool report and my experience with the 2V, channel 5 will probably come in fine, but 7, 11, 12 might be iffy, and the other VHS stations will probably be problematic.

Digitennas have worked great for us. We have been installing them for years and pretty much all of my employees have them at home too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts