Need aspect ratio help

bartbull

Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
:cool: Hi, i had my install today for Voom. Quality looks good, but the problem is i am not able to change the aspect ratio. For example on my Direct TV i have the dc 100, when i am watching let's say Discovery HD i can toggle between 16x9 with black bars top and bottom to 16x9 crop. On the Voom unit i have found the Picture Format page, but when i change the settings nothing will happen, when i have it going through the DVI cable i get a picture but the ratio does not change. it's on permanent 16x9 crop. Now when i do the above toggling when the unit is going through the s video, the ratio will change. When switching back to Dvi input nothing changes. I have the red button in the front of the unit set 1080 I. I was going to call the installer but he didn't seem to be to swift. He was saying stuff that was way out there when it came to HD. Any help would be great. Thanks,

You cannot change the aspect ratio of HD channels with VOOM STB. Sorry...

Will they have this option down the road ?, what i don't like is that the picture is getting cut off when graphics are on the screen. Thanks,

What do you mean by "cut off"? The picture should not be cut off on Discovery HD. Most of the materials there are filmed in 16:9 aspect ratio and and they are shown in 16:9. Is your TV set wide-screen or is it 4:3?

I wouldn't count on it, HD content does not need to be "changed." At least I have never seen the need. Why do you want to modify it? I used to change the aspect of some DTV stations but only because FOX messed up the look but that is only 480p

Sound like your TV is cropping....

My tv is 16x9 the voom signal fills the whole screen, when i have the HD news channel on the HD logo in the bottom right corner is half there. Want i would like to do is have the same option as the dc 100 has, to have 16x9 and 16x9 crop. Again i can change ratio in the s video mode from 16x9 to 16x9 crop, but need to do it hd mode.

Is it an RCA by any chance? I think I saw a thread about some RCA TVs doing excessive overscan and about how to correct that.

Yes RCA. BUT i don't think it's overscan because i can change ratio in svideo mode Thanks,

DVI might be different. Search this forum and AVSForum.com for RCA and overscan.
Good luck and welcome to the forum!

I know my samsung does not allow mode changes on either component port, and it does not even have DVI (3-years old) ... only the STB allows changes I think. I am really not sure but that was where I changed fox with my Hughes HTL-HD receiver.

bartbull said:
My tv is 16x9 the voom signal fills the whole screen, when i have the HD news channel on the HD logo in the bottom right corner is half there. Want i would like to do is have the same option as the dc 100 has, to have 16x9 and 16x9 crop. Again i can change ratio in the s video mode from 16x9 to 16x9 crop, but need to do it hd mode.

Bart:

There are some problems already mentioned in another thread about the HDN logo only being half there----it's not your set, it's also happening to lots of others, too, including myself. This particular problem is not your aspect ratio setting-----

I have a Toshiba 46hx83 AND I'm using a DVI. The TV has five picture format(size) settings (Natural/Theater Wide 1,2 and 3/Full). The TV is capable of four resolutions (1080i/720p/480p/480i).

If I set the Motorola STB to either 480p or 480i, I can choose from all five format settings for ANY channel REGARDLESS of the input source (also works in Native ONLY IF my input source is 480i/p).

If I set the STB to 1080i or 720p, I cannot use my TV's remote to change the picture format, REGARDLESS of the channel's input source.

So, at least from my perspective, DVI is not an issue. Same when I used Component Video.

P.S. Having to use the STB to change res is a real pain. Anyone know if eventually we'll be able to do it from the remote???

nnicko said:
If I set the STB to 1080i or 720p, I cannot use my TV's remote to change the picture format, REGARDLESS of the channel's input source.
nnicko, welcome to the forum!
When you set your STB to 1080i-fixed mode, all channels are presented to your TV set as if they are HD. Unfortunately many, perhaps most of TV sets (including my Sony GWIII) do not let you change the picture format of an HD signal (1080i or 720p).

Hi Ilya

I guess I just don't express myself properly. What you said is what I thought I said. :)

Hi, I'm thinking about becoming a Voomer. I currently have cable and the SD channels require a stretch mode to fill the screen in order to avoid the use of black side bars. Is it the same way with Voom?

Bart, I have a samsung too, so does Sean Mota. Off and then Mute 182 On will get you into the service menu where you can adjust the overscan area of your TV.

dbldhd said:
Hi, I'm thinking about becoming a Voomer. I currently have cable and the SD channels require a stretch mode to fill the screen in order to avoid the use of black side bars. Is it the same way with Voom?
dbldhd, welcome to the forum.
With VOOM STB you can chose how you want to see SD channels. You can either stretch them to fill the 16:9 frame, or you can leave them un-stretched. Whatever you prefer. I personally don't like stretched image, so I always watch SD channels with black side bars.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)