Need book to learn about FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

onlysamiam

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Looking for a book to learn about fta all of the set-up install and receiver settings...basically everything

I am in process of getting my system up and going, but want to learn all that I can a lot of the how to and why, in the receiver setting, to a newbie this can be very confusing.

Last edited:
No book that I am aware of. Thread reading educated me. There's also good info in the FAQ's and sticky's.
Basically: receiver programming entails entering the frequency, polarity, and SR of a known 'lit up' transponder on the satellite you want to 'hit'. Tweak dish for max Quality reading, blind scan to get the rest of the active transponders and the channels.
How and where in the receivers menu you enter these is dependent on the particular receiver.
Motorized is either diseqc or USALS. USALS requires entering your LAT and LON. so the receiver can calculate the E/W angle to move the dish.
USALS also requires the satellites longitude to be entered, usually in satellite set up.
Diseqc motors require manually moving the motor( and adjusting the azimuth at the ends of the arc) and entering a 'position' entry into the receiver.
Some experience aiming a fixed Ku dish at different satellites may come in handy when setting up a motorized Ku dish, IMHO.
Dishpointer.com Lyngsat.com/america.html TheList! global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html
are the main 'tools' I use. Oh, and this forum.

This forum is the best FTA book there is.

Welcome! (if nobody's said that yet.) You'll learn more by reading-up here on this site. Basically, there are receiver reviews, (look for the newer ones, readily available if you want best features-like the Manhattan, Openbox, Pansat 9500, etc.) and there are basic hookup diagrams, explanations of when "switches" are needed for c to ku band reception (much like AM is to FM) and plenty of people to guide you.

If you've not purchased yet, let the site members know what you're looking FOR in a system, and the guidance can begin! Or, if you've already bought, you'll find the people here polite and helpful. The topic of a book has been brought up in the past here, but there's SO many ways to set up systems, there really is no "bible" of how to do it best that I've seen marketed or mentioned. (except above, to which I refer) It depends on your needs, budget, and expectations, not necessarily in that order.

Also look at "the list" of available programming on this site (audio and video) realizing this is a hobby and things do change, but kind of get a "target" list of what you want to receive which may help others guide you, too! Search for answers on this site using the search tool, but don't be afraid to ask a question! Your answer may be here already!

By the way, I'm NOT the best spokesperson for this site by any means, just someone who saw your post and thought I'd start the responses! Many are MUCH more qualified. Good luck!

Hey,

Thank you guys already for the replies. I really hate to be a bother to others, if I can help myself; self education via. reading, study and application is what I mostly rely upon.

I have another post on a dynostat 5000 receiver and am receiving help there also. Just did not want to keep asking and asking.

I will take advantage of the site and the gracious offers of help and not be bashful to ask.
You are a good bunch, many thanks...Sam

origional post by samiam

Hi,

I started this post with: Need book to learn about FTA

When I logged on to check the post relpies I found what looks like the beginning of a new post and replies to it.

Is this normal, or am I in error to expect this post to be about the topic that I started?

Thanx...Sam

No but sometimes things stray off. Nothing against you, I seen the thread go off topic first I should have split it off earlier.

Also to add to the good comments: If you buy a new FTA Receiver Dish and Receiver read the manuals provided with the Suppliers Products, and ask questions and Search on this site.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)