need cable wiring expertise

sam6405 said:
buy a terminator tool off ebay for ~$15.00, just don't use it for anything other then getting into the house box.

What if he buys the wrong one? There is just a few screw ball tools and terminators that won't work with each other.

How bout some pics of the box. I attached 2 pics, anyone know what
kind of tool I need now from looking at the pics?

Attachments

• cbox1.jpg
    cbox1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 122
  • cbox2.jpg
    cbox2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 120
The BNC Jack inside is actually about 1/2 inch long. The jack sits about 3/4 to 1 inch
inside of the tube.

By the way, how would you work one of those terminator tools. Do you simply
push it on the Jack and turn it counterclockwise like a screwdriver?

dr0doom said:
By the way, how would you work one of those terminator tools. Do you simply
push it on the Jack and turn it counterclockwise like a screwdriver?

The one I use, has "wings" on both sides of the shaft. to retract the wings, you would pull the sleeve up on the shaft and slide it in the terminator and then release the sleeve. This causes the wings to expand and locks into two grooves inside the terminator, twist it counter clock wise and it comes off and vice versa.

You are better off simply asking someone to drop by and take it off. Its your box, and you cant hurt anything by opening it. Only thing inside is a splitter. The only reason they lock them on single homes is because sometimes people like to disconnect their ground, and then get upset when lightning strikes their house. Have them remove it, and then put a zip-tie on it to keep it shut or something. If your problem is there, then you have the dumbest technicians ever in your area. If you are also thinking of putting a preamp out there, you are going to have to have a way to power it, either by running cable to an outlet, or by getting power close to the box.

Update. Got the box open with some needle-nose pliers. Turns out it was just
a simple F-type terminator screwed on like a normal cable connection. Managed
to install my amp using one of the 4 cable runs into the house (was only using
3 of the 4 runs anyway) for the power to the amp. Placed the amp directly
on the incoming signal and the output of the amp sent to the splitter, which
now only is split to 3 TV's. Still need to get a terminator for the now-open connector on the splitter. MUCH IMPROVED PIC on all 3 TV's. Almost no snow
on the upper channels, where it used to be very snowy. Lower chans (< 60)
look crystal-clear. Thanks all, for the tips!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)