need Clarification to make dish work

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alemmoe

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 20, 2008
pottstown,pa
I have some questions about using a second Dish I just picked up for C / Ku Band.
It is a broadband V- Sat Dish off of a gas service station roof, mounted to a universal ridge mount.
I can not read the name,but it is 48" x 52" fibreglass and measures 160" circumfence, with arm 36" from dish.
Is it a off set dish or a Prime Focus Dish?

When sighting across the Dishes 2" wide mounting arm and looking into Dish, a raised dot is on the dish and is 4" higher than line of site,because the center of the lens of the large 7" x 7" 14" V-Sat LNB would line up to that dot, if it is a prime Focus.

I bought a DMX 242 and conical scaler ring/bracket kit and 3 LNB adjustable bracket assuming it was a offset.

Do I have to raise the arm / mount and LNB up 4" above the mounting arm if that is a Center Mark of the dish?
Thanks in advance

Sounds like a later model Hughes two-way dish, 1.2 meter diameter (4').
Or maybe a Prodelin, or ChannelMaster (Primestar)
Yes, you do need to locate your feedhorn exactly where the original one was mounted.
Some of the users have pictures of doing that, but just who did it escapes me at the moment.
Does it look like a smaller version of this?

Most VSAT dishes I've seen are offset dishes. The 1.2 meter dish you are describing is almost certainly an offset dish, probably, as Anole mentioned, either a Prodelin or a Channel Master. Nice find, and with the roof mount!

Yes, that is the same as mine,except my frame bends over the roof pitch.

So, I will have to block the arm up,so the center of LNB is at the same height as the original V Sat LNB,Right?

I am using it flat on the ground with two more dishes added to it on each end, between the 10 Solid cement blocks that fill up each end for ballast.

I kept the 48" x 52" dish in the middle where it was mounted and bolted a piece of 15 1/2" x 12" diamond plate steel to the frame on each end as a base mount,then I welded and braced a pole on another piece of steel,that gets bolted to base mount plate and shimed.

These outside poles mount the 6" mesh and the 90 Hot Dish a little taller than the middle one.

I bolted it down to two pressure treated 4" x 4" to create runners so I can pull it with the 4 wheeler,to whichever spot works best,around the trees and plumb the platform level, then drill and pound rebar thru 4x4 into ground.
Thanks Alemmoe

You can always test the original lnb as a starting point. I suspect it will be a single polarity ku lnb. I have two of those dishes which I bought off some auto-wreckers and I am still using the original lnbs which are much smaller than the ones in the photos above.

I just took some measurements and tried to match the location of the rx/tx unit as closely as possible. These pics may give you some ideas.

Attachments

• Sat Prod on BV Rx-Tx LNBF overview.JPG
    Sat Prod on BV Rx-Tx LNBF overview.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Sat Prod on BV Techsat LNBF overview2.JPG
    Sat Prod on BV Techsat LNBF overview2.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 155
  • Sat Prod 1.2 BV Mount New Paint3.JPG
    Sat Prod 1.2 BV Mount New Paint3.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Sat Prod 1.2 BV Mount New Paint6.JPG
    Sat Prod 1.2 BV Mount New Paint6.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Sat Prod 1.2 on BV mount.JPG
    Sat Prod 1.2 on BV mount.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 152
Corrado has some pix where he mounts his after-market LNBF on a 6' Prodelin offset.
See how it is spaced up to the same location as the original feedhorn was.

Ken2400 has a 1m Vsat dish, note how the feed is above the lower LNB support arm.

MexSunny has similar dish, and you can see how things are located quite clearly in his pix.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts