Need Codes for Dish Remote?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RebelTX

Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Dish is never going to add codes unless they get bombarded with requests. I may be wrong, but I don’t think they have added any codes in years. Let’s get together and ask Dish Network to update the programming codes. If they get thousands of complaints, maybe it will put the problem on their radar.

I like the Dish remote but it is ridiculous that I have to purchase a universal remote and spend days getting it to work properly with all my components. No matter what I do, I have to use two remotes because I’ve never been able to get either remote to control all the functions.

If you have had problems getting codes to program your Dish remote, click on this link and complain to “Charlie.” DISH Network -- FAQs

Dish is never going to add codes unless they get bombarded with requests. I may be wrong, but I don’t think they have added any codes in years. Let’s get together and ask Dish Network to update the programming codes. If they get thousands of complaints, maybe it will put the problem on their radar.

I like the Dish remote but it is ridiculous that I have to purchase a universal remote and spend days getting it to work properly with all my components. No matter what I do, I have to use two remotes because I’ve never been able to get either remote to control all the functions.

If you have had problems getting codes to program your Dish remote, click on this link and complain to “Charlie.” DISH Network -- FAQs

You are ranting without any specifics to back it up or for us to try to help you out.

My wife (REALLY) surprised me with a Logitech Harmony 880 for Christmas. Trust me, if you get one of these, you will NOT have to use any of the others.

That being said, if I didn't have the 880, I wouldn't even bother trying to program the Dish remote --- too much of a pain, and like you said, big lack of codes.

I suppose you could complain to the manufacturer of your TV, DVD player, and audio receiver with the same reasoning.

OEM remotes never are flexible enough to do what you want. You can get cheap learning remotes for $25.

Really, if a group is going to rally to do something about this, shouldn't it be to come up with universal standards for remote pulses? Why does each manufacturer have to have if own proprietary set of IR pulses? Can't they come up with a standard so that the pulses used for Power On, Play etc are the same for all manufacturers?

IEEE came up with standards for USB, Firewire, Ethernet, etc etc.
Why not IR commands for remotes?

This has been a pet peeve of mine for years!!!

You are ranting without any specifics to back it up or for us to try to help you out.

I'm not exactly sure what specifics you want, or why I would need specifics to "back up" a pet peeve of hundreds of thousands of Dish Network customers.

It's really quite simple, if you agree that Dish Network needs to provide codes that will allow their remotes to control components, I'm asking you to complain to Dish Network.

If you are satisfied having to purchase another universal remote, then figure out how to make it control your components, don't complain to Dish Network.

if you agree that Dish Network needs to provide codes that will allow their remotes to control components, I'm asking you to complain to Dish Network.

If you are satisfied having to purchase another universal remote, then figure out how to make it control your components, don't complain to Dish Network.

I was able to get my remotes to control all of my equipment without any problems whatsoever. All three of my dish remotes are able to control all of the equipment that i need them to control in order to watch tv, change channels/volume ... and work any audio equipment that I have hooked up to them. My equipment is as old as 10 years (TV in the spare room) to a few months old (Onkyo Audio recvr) and I am able to control everything.

Having said that - I also use an 880 as i like the fact that i can move around the house and just use the one remote for everything ....

But the reason you were asked for specifics is probably because the vast majority of us don't seem to be having the same problem as you (or hundreds of thousands of other users according to you)

Can you tell me how you know there are hundreds of thousands of people having problems .... I've only seen a couple of people mention it here on the forums.

Can't they come up with a standard so that the pulses used for Power On, Play etc are the same for all manufacturers?

jdr01930

If I knew who "they" were, I'd complain to them too:).

I'm far from a techie, I'm just an old lady with far too few remaining memory slots to waste them on learning how to program a universal remote:D.

I paid an installer to program a Harmony remote and I hate the $@!% thing. After 2 years of using the Dish remote, I can use it without putting on my reading glasses to read what each button does. It aggravates me to have to learn a new one.

Those of you over 50 probably understand what I'm talking about, those of you under 50 will figure it out someday:eek:.

My problem with programming a dish remote to operate all of my equipment is simply this:

My family doesn't know how to USE it that way. Programming the Dish remote means my family has to know that they have to select and then turn on the AV Receiver, put it on input SAT, select and then turn on the TV, put it on input HDMI-1, select the satellite receiver.... NOW they can watch TV. When they stop watching they have to select the TV, turn it off, select the receiver, turn it off. (We leave the satellite receiver on all the time).

And god forbid they should want to switch from watching TV to watching a DVD! :eek:

I have a Harmony 880 as well. They grab the remote and press "Watch TV" and everything that's supposed to power up, powers up, correct inputs are activated, and in about 3 seconds they are watching TV. If they want to watch a DVD they press "Watch DVD" and whatever equipment needs to be on is turned on, inputs are selected, and all they have to do is stick in the DVD they want to watch and hit "Play". When they're done they hit "Off" and anything that was on is turned off (except the satellite receiver... that stays on all the time).

I'm not married to the Harmony remotes. I might try a URC when the 880 dies. But for sheer simplicity it sure makes my life easier. Heck, my 80 year old mother can watch TV at my house.

I'll never go back to a device-based method of using my equipment on a daily basis. Activity-based is the way to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)