need complicated set up help

chutio13

Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
We are almost done building our new house, I will list below what I have and would like to accomplish. Hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

I need to send a dish network signal to 6 locations.
I need to send a security camera signal to the same 6 locations
I need to send a OTA signal to the same six locations.

I only have ONE coax running to each of the 6 locations.

I will have dish come out and install new dishes at my house for satellites 110, 119, and 61.5

my guess is that they will use only the latest equipment. I plan on using a couple fta receivers as well.

What do I need to get, switches, diplexers, ect., to achieve this?

thanks in advance for your help.

As stated above - more cables are always better.

You really didn't furnish much information, so here are two questions to start with:

(1) Will your 6 locations each have a Dish Network receiver to receive independent programming, or will they just receive the output of a shared Dish Network receiver or receivers from elsewhere?

(2) Are you planning on connecting the FTA receivers to the same dishes used by the Dish Network receivers, or will you have different dishes and if so, what type?

1) I will/plan on having a dish receiver at each location

2) the fta receivers will be using the same dishes as Dish Network receivers

run more coax, or invest in a some real equipment... agile modulators, amps, ect and build yourself a nice little headend system.
That said... kinda curious, how much legal fta programming is up there on 110, 119 and 61.5?

Briddoggy thanks for your answers, seeing as you are a "supporting founder", thanks for the great helpful answer. That solved all of my issues, thanks buddy. How much thought went into this post?

only one location will have both dish and fta, others 4 will be dish and 1 will be fta, bringing the total to 6.

I don't see any benefit in locating an FTA receiver with a Dish Receiver.

Will you need recording capabilities with the Dish receivers, and is it suitable for the Dish receiver locations to only be able to receive 1 satellite channel at a time?

ideally, I would like all of the receivers to be able to watch different channels. What I was thinking was using 2 dpp44 switches and using diplexers after the 44 to add the ota/cameras to the line and the using another diplexer to seperate it at the receiver. what do you think about that.

or using a 5x8 switch if one is available for dish network for this.

Briddoggy thanks for your answers, seeing as you are a "supporting founder", thanks for the great helpful answer. That solved all of my issues, thanks buddy. How much thought went into this post?

i thought about it all day before i posted......

i gave you the right answer though. You need more coax. If you plan on having a dish receiver, and a fta in the same room, you need at least 2 coax runs for that. And how does your security camera work? what kind of output does it have? is it running through a modulator? if that is the case, you should be able to diplex it on the same line as a satellite feed. ota could cause problems with that depending on what channels you receive in your area, and if you need the ota amplified.

So i'll try to be helpful...
But I have questions...

Which models and how many dish receivers?
Any HD or Dvr's?
How many FTA receivers?
Which satellite locations do you need to receive on your FTA receivers?
What kind of output does your security setup use? (RCA video type output, or modulated like channel3/4 ect)
What channel numbers do you receive in your area OTA?
Do you expect to have to have the OTA amplified using a powered amp?
Where does the wiring end up? attic? utility room? unfinished basement? ect
Any Cat5e or Cat6 run to any of the tv locations as well?

Seriously, if you can answer that stuff, i'll make you up a nice little wiring schematic showing you the best way to achieve what you want.

in this situation a would just say make a head end in one room. UHF all the receivers and combine everything in to one cable but to that it would be expensive to do. you going to be better of to find some one really good in your aria. because it could take a day or more to do

in this situation a would just say make a head end in one room. UHF all the receivers and combine everything in to one cable but to that it would be expensive to do. you going to be better of to find some one really good in your aria. because it could take a day or more to do

thats what i tried to say earlier... but the op didnt like that suggestion

i thought about it all day before i posted......

i gave you the right answer though. You need more coax. If you plan on having a dish receiver, and a fta in the same room, you need at least 2 coax runs for that. And how does your security camera work? what kind of output does it have? is it running through a modulator? if that is the case, you should be able to diplex it on the same line as a satellite feed. ota could cause problems with that depending on what channels you receive in your area, and if you need the ota amplified.

So i'll try to be helpful...
But I have questions...

Which models and how many dish receivers?2 or 3 depending on what dish network sends me, probably basic models
Any HD or Dvr's?1 dual tuner hd dvr
How many FTA receivers?1 for now
Which satellite locations do you need to receive on your FTA receivers?same as dish receivers
What kind of output does your security setup use? (RCA video type output, or modulated like channel3/4 ect) all cameras go into a dvr that will record all location(4 cameras), has an output for monitor
What channel numbers do you receive in your area OTA?regular networks, abc, nbc, cbs,fox, etc.
Do you expect to have to have the OTA amplified using a powered amp? if needed I can get an amplified ota antenna
Where does the wiring end up? attic? utility room? unfinished basement? ect all wiring ends up in the laundry room where the media panel is
Any Cat5e or Cat6 run to any of the tv locations as well? all rooms have i believe cat 5e cable run with the coax.

Seriously, if you can answer that stuff, i'll make you up a nice little wiring schematic showing you the best way to achieve what you want.

please answers in bold, thank you for your help....

As said more than once, the FTA receivers are not going to pick up any significant amount of programming; if it does, then it's probably illegal and won't be discussed here.

That said, the next step is to figure how to get you some sort of programming to all 6 locations. I think Birddoggy has a couple of more questiions (20 questions game :)).

Your OTA channels... What are the actual channel numbers being used in your area, 2, 5, 7, 13, etc...

How many of the 6 locations will be used at one time, but more importantly, do you expert to have all 6 TV's watching a different program at the same time, which will require 6 tuners?

On your security camera system... It sounds like you have a 4 camera system that feeds into a single control unit where you can select any camera, switch between camera's, or display all 4 camera's at one time, which will also record and send the output to a monitor. Will this system also supply an output to channel 3/4, such as a VCR does, or maybe some other channel, so that you can feed it over your cable system?
If not, what are the other outputs, if any?
This is needed to determine how to convert that monitor signal to a usuable signal for the cable distribution system without interferring with the other outputs.

As said more than once, the FTA receivers are not going to pick up any significant amount of programming; if it does, then it's probably illegal and won't be discussed here.

That said, the next step is to figure how to get you some sort of programming to all 6 locations. I think Birddoggy has a couple of more questiions (20 questions game :)).

Your OTA channels... What are the actual channel numbers being used in your area, 2, 5, 7, 13, etc... channels are, 3,8,10,13,16,22,28,32,38,44,50,62,66

How many of the 6 locations will be used at one time, but more importantly, do you expert to have all 6 TV's watching a different program at the same time, which will require 6 tuners? for most of the time not more than 3 tuners at a time, but on weekends could have 6 tuners going, need to have them watching a different program at the same time.

On your security camera system... It sounds like you have a 4 camera system that feeds into a single control unit where you can select any camera, switch between camera's, or display all 4 camera's at one time, which will also record and send the output to a monitor. Will this system also supply an output to channel 3/4, such as a VCR does, or maybe some other channel, so that you can feed it over your cable system? I just need to get the signal to the tv, and then I can put it on a different input on the tv so that it will be a different source for the tv
If not, what are the other outputs, if any? for the security camera system there are audio, and network outputs.
This is needed to determine how to convert that monitor signal to a usuable signal for the cable distribution system without interferring with the other outputs.

see bold above

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)