Need conection help w/ D* 811 to Pan dvdr

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

robertjp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Upstate NY
Im having a problem getting my new Panasonic dvdr to recognize channels from my Dish 811. My main sat cable is going to the 811. Im then running regular composite cables to the dvdr but it says "no channels found". There is no rf out from the 811 so that is not an option. I also tried running the main sat cable to the rf in on the dvdr and back out tto the 811 but that didnt work either. Do these dvdrs work with satellite? How do I get it to recognize channels? All they talk about in the manual is cable, so Im beginning to winder if they even work with satellite. Lost in upstate NY.Thanks in advance.BP

WHew.

Satellite feeds can ONLY be used by a satellite box.

Satellite is NOT like cable. Block all such thoughts from your brain.

Composite signals do not have "channels". You need to select External or Line or whatever they name it for your box. They usually have pretty pictures to use for reference.

"Composite signals do not have "channels". You need to select External or Line or whatever they name it for your box. They usually have pretty pictures to use for reference"

OK so a satellite signal can only be used by a satellite box. That ends that confusion why the cable direct to the dvdr would not work. You mention I need to select "external or line" but from what box? Im lost but slowly finding my way. Thanks pal.

If the DVD-R has a tuner, the AUX IN or LINE IN may be below channel 2, and above whatever the highest channel it tunes.

At the risk of sounding sarcastic, RTFM -- read the friendly manual :)
You must treat the 811 as if it were a camcorder or VCR feeding the DVD recorder. Best way to hook it up is via S-Video output, along with audio outputs (better picture quality than composite) -- Typically to AV1 input on the DVD recorder. In order to record from the 811, first tune the 811 to the desired channel. If you plan on unattended recording, you can set a timer in the 811 for this purpose. Then go to the recording setup menu on your recorder -- specify input to be used (normally, A/V 1, S-Video) and start and stop times, along with desired picture quality. With your Panasonic, you'll probably also have to specify media type (DVD-R, DVD-RW or DVD-RAM). You may also have to name your disc first.
Before recording something important, do a few trial runs (DVD-RW is fine for that, bedause they're reusable).
I know this may seem condescending, but you should really read and understand your DVD recorder manual and 811 manual before attempting to use the two units together. Unfortunately, there's no such thing as one touch dubbing when going from satellite to DVD recorder.
For the record, I've recorded several DVD's from my 811 to my Sanyo DVD recorder, both from HDNet and from OTA HD channel. I've done them in Standard Quality (2 hour max. record time) and gotten excellent results.

Cholly.......Question for you. I have a Panny DVD recorder. I've had good results recording HDTV to the DVD Recorder when the channel is in 1080i format. However, when I record a channel broadcasting in 720p, the picture looks like crap...its full of pixelation and jagged lines.

I've gone into the 811's menu and changed the output to 480p and 720p to see if it made any difference, but it didn't.

I just can't seem to record 720p channels (ESPN HD) in a decent quality. Perhaps the progressive scan video simply can't be processed through the s-video connection properly.

Have you seen these problems??? Any success in correcting them??

Thanks.

does anyone use component video input to record to DVD's?? Im getting my 811 tomorrow and I will try it then but wanted to know if anyone else has tried it.

What DVD burner do you have that has component inputs(YPbPr)? Also, are they HDTV inputs? Or maybe you mean composite? Composite isn't as good as s-video, but it's not a night and day difference.

811Sucks, S-video can only do 480i. If the quality is different from a 720p source compared to a 1080i source, I'd guess the 811 isn't doing a very good conversion to 480i for the s-video output with 720p. How does it record with 720p broadcast content and the 811 switched to 1080i?

I record to my computer first, then sometimes to DVD's...usually just watch it from the recorded file. The SD content looks better after it's recorded(ATI video soap). The HD content looks like SD content, as it should since its downconverted to 480i. I've done the above both from s-video and via coax--I have a rf modulator hooked to my 811. With video soap turned on they look nearly identical.

Cholly,

I have read the freakin manuals. The Panasonic manual sucks. They mention the word "satellite" one time. If I had the answers I wouldnt be asking questions. sorry. Give me a break. BP

If you have a model like the Panny DMRE100H, you would hook it up like this:

From your 811, Connect an S-video or Yellow Composite output to the VIDEO IN 1 (also called L1) or IN 3 (L3) - both of these are on the back of your dvd recorder)

Then hook up the audio from the 811 to the dvd recorder (red and white composite cables)

You will also have to hook up the dvd recorder a/v outputs (out 1 or out 3 on back of the dvd recorder) to your TV.

Then, using your DVD recorder remote control, you need to hit the INPUT SELECT button and select L1 or L3 (whichever one you hooked up the 811 to). this commands your dvd recorder to record whatever is connected to the selected input, which could be your vcr or your 811, etc.

Hope this helps.

robertjp said:
Cholly,

I have read the freakin manuals. The Panasonic manual sucks. They mention the word "satellite" one time. If I had the answers I wouldnt be asking questions. sorry. Give me a break. BP
The Panny manual can't be much worse than the manual that came with my Sanyo recorder. Also, the recording setup process can be daunting, to say the least. I burned a coaster or two before I got the knack of things. Ransack has laid the basics out very nicely. As I said in my earlier post, think of your 811 as being a camcorder or VCR. The manual probably says something about recording from a camcorder or VCR. You'll have to either leave the 811 set to the channel you want to record or use a timer. Set up your DVD recorder to begin recording at the start of the program, and stop at the end (if you want, you can extend the end time to be sure you've recorded the entire program. You'll have to select the recording quality, keeping in mind that High Quality yields one hour of recording time on a DVD, Standard Quality gives you 2 hours, and Medium quality gives 4 hours. Don't even bother with "Basic Quality". It's just plain bad. When you're setting up to record, you'll probably be asked to name the title of your recording. That needs to be done before recording the program. You can probably assign a name to the DVD after recording (at least I can on mine). Key here is that you might be able to record more than one program on your DVD. You'd want to name each of the programs, because they will show up as separate menu items when you go to play the DVD. When you are done recording, you'll have to finalize the disk if it's a DVD-R. Once the disk is finalized, no more data can be recorded on it. If the disk isn't finalized, you won't be able to play it back on a DVD player (although you'll be able to play it on your recorder).
That's about it. The important thing to remember is that the 811 cannot control the DVD recorder, so you'll have to have the 811 set up in advance and then control the recording process from the recorder itself. I've had good results in recording from PBS-HD over the air and from HDNet. I've played the DVD's on both RCA and Panasonic players with excellent quality. Not HD, mind you, but every bit as good as most commercial DVD's.
As others have said, it does pay to have decent cables. I'm not a Monster Cable fan. They're overrated and grossly overpriced. Premium cables carrying the Philips or RCA brand names do a good job. Just stay away from the cheapies.
Good luck, let us know how you make out!

I have the Phillips DVDR75 and it has component inputs(YPbPr) you can see the product spec sheet here http://www.dvdrecorder.philips.com/index.cfm?event=SupportDVDR

I got the DVDR for xmas last year and I assumed that every DVDR had Component inputs but I checked soon after my post here and found that Philips is one of the few that have it. I dont think that it will make a big diff but it will be nice to record from a higher PQ and downgrade it to 480p

Ill be darn! Phillips has a leg up as far as Im concerned then,except for the fact hardly anyone big is going with dvd+R, most are going with -R. Thanks for the info. BP

Length of recording affects quality

I got these numbers somewhere:

HQ mode (1HR, 9.5Mpbs, MPEG2, 720x480)
SP mode (2HR, 5.1Mpbs, MPEG2, 720x480)
EP mode (4HR, 2.5Mpbs, MPEG2, 352x480)
SLP mode (6HR, 1.7Mpbs, MPEG1, 352x240)

For me, the breakpoint was 2hr 4min, the real SP max, when going from SP to EP, that the quality noticably dropped. It is unfortunate that a lot of movies come in at 2hr 10min or so. SP does produce a good result, use EP only to get it all on one recording.

I had my first sighting of dual layer (DL) DVD disks at a Wal*Mart but the price was high for a write once. But it would double the times with the right recorder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)