Need Coolsat 5000 Platinum help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

huertaaj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Oxford, Ohio
I downloaded what I thought was the manual for the Coolsat 5000 Platinum receiver from this list but it isn't really what I'm looking for. The file I downloaded was titled Coolsat 4k/5k/6k which doesn't seem to apply to my receiver, not even the pictures. I need to figure out how to ADD, DELETE, or RENAME a satellite. For example, on the receiver list I don't see 89W (Galaxy 28) but would like to add it. I see two 91W satellites listed (Galaxy 11C and Nimiq 1,3) and I would like to delete one of them and rename the other. How do I do this? I can't find the manual anywhere for this receiver which I purchased on ebay.
TNX,
huertaaj

What frequency for LNB and other numbers?

Newbie here so please forgive my ignorance of this subject. I'm trying to scan for channels from a satellite, using C-band at the moment. If I want to scan channels from 89.0W (Galaxy 28), how do I know what the LNB frequency should be (currently says 5.150), and what the numbers for TP (what is TP?) should be (currently 3.400-4.200). Any other numbers I should know of?
Thanks,
huertaaj

The receiver just tunes the output of the LNB.
The LNB converts the incoming C-band signal to the range of frequencies the receiver can handle.
To know how to tune, the receiver needs to know the LO (local oscillator) frequency of the LNB.
Normally, a C-band LNB will be 5150 Mhz, as you have listed.

Then, you need to know the TP (transponder) frequency you are looking for.
Each transponder carries multiple channels of TV and radio.

Generally most receivers can figure out the other parameters, but these are the basics.
Any of the many lists on the internet will show these basic numbers.
Our own TheList gets much more technical.
For the bird you mentioned, here is the page of technical info.

This probably still leaves a few questions, so for whatever is still unclear, ask away - :up

i find it easiest to use a editor to change the satellite information. some use channel master to do it , i just prefer the basic editor, its simple and easy to use.

you should be able to change the information on the remote (i don't do it often so i don't know how)

OK. I have been using Blind Scan on the Coolsat 5000 Platinum and so far it seems to be working for each satellite, but I'm not sure if my settings are correct. Since I don't know how to add, delete, or rename satellites on this receiver I have to use the satellites that are already shown on the list. So, for example, to receive the Pentagon Channel, I used 91W (Nimiq 1,3) as a placeholder for 89W (Galaxy 28). From within the Dish setting meny I cycled through the LNB type until I saw the LEVEL meter go up, leaving it on UNIVERSAL (the only setting for LNB type that made the level meter to up for this satellite, but for other satellites, there are other possible LNB types that make the level meter go up), and the LNB frequency now says 9.750/10.600. After setting that and going to Blind Scan, TP for this satellite now says 10.700~12.750 (I didn't set that). I left SR (whatever that is) on Full, set the polarity to Horizontal, and scanned. It DID find the Pentagon channel but I don't know if I really should have done this another way. I might as well be doing this with my eyes closed. This is the same procedure that I have followed for all the satellites so far and have been able to tune plenty of channels. But....again, I'm just "waving my hands" and it seems to be working but I don't think I'm doing this as I should.

You mean connect it to a computer? I have only had this receiver for about 1 month and have never connected it to a computer and I'm not even sure where to start if I wanted to do that. If I could just do what I need using the remote only, that would be my preference.

I remember having to do the same thing when I first got my Coolsat 5000 , I don't have the same lists of satellites in my receiver anymore because I used the Channel Master program to edit and reconfigure the satellites from east to west.

You don't need a manual to edit your list with a remote.
First thing you can do is pick which one of the 2 satelllites at the 91.0 west position you want as 89.0 west , then go to menu and choose motor control , at that point edit the satellite location (overwrite 91.0 with 89.0) then hit exit , it will ask if you are sure and then you hit yes or cancel , something like that .

If you want to change the name of the satellite I thing you go ........... Let me check my receiver and I'll get back to you , I just did this the other day but it's so much easier to be looking at my TV and receiver then trying to remember what I did .......... be back shortly with an answer.

what LNB are you using?

LNB LO needs to be set up as such
C-band 5150
Universal 9750/10600
Standard 10750

I downloaded what I thought was the manual for the Coolsat 5000 Platinum receiver from this list but it isn't really what I'm looking for. The file I downloaded was titled Coolsat 4k/5k/6k which doesn't seem to apply to my receiver, not even the pictures. I need to figure out how to ADD, DELETE, or RENAME a satellite. For example,

Weird ... I'm looking at the PDF file for the CS-4k-5k-6k manual and the pictures look right to me . ???

Attachments

• Coolsat picture.jpg
    Coolsat picture.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 272
Merged threads got me a little confused ..... sorry Iceberg , I'll let you take over so huertaajj can figure out his configuration before editing a satellite in his receiver.

... I need to figure out how to ADD, DELETE, or RENAME a satellite....

Main Menu > Installation > Dish Setting > Satellite

Note: In this window you will find < 0.0E---->
You can find this by scrolling to the right using the right arrow button.

Hit the RED button on the remote to edit the name to the new bird. Make sure you enter its position plus the name you want to call it.
This is how you ADD a new SAT. After adding the new bird, do your setup for that bird to get the channels.

To RENAME a bird that is at the correct location, just rename it with the RED button.

To DELETE a SAT, just DELETE all the channels for that bird to make the SAT go away in the channel list.

Weird ... I'm looking at the PDF file for the CS-4k-5k-6k manual and the pictures look right to me . ???

Yea, it's right, just really scant on information.

Until the user figures out how to use Channel Master, they must suffer with poor documentation.

Channel Master can edit, move, and rename everything, but that has a learning curve too. I would suggest using the remote until the user gets the system working.

Merged threads got me a little confused ..... sorry Iceberg , I'll let you take over so huertaajj can figure out his configuration before editing a satellite in his receiver.

oh no...I just merged two threads he had started with the same issue. Easier to follow one thread then two :)

Main Menu > Installation > Dish Setting > Satellite

Note: In this window you will find < 0.0E---->
You can find this by scrolling to the right using the right arrow button.

Hit the RED button on the remote to edit the name to the new bird. Make sure you enter its position plus the name you want to call it.
This is how you ADD a new SAT. After adding the new bird, do your setup for that bird to get the channels.

To RENAME a bird that is at the correct location, just rename it with the RED button.

To DELETE a SAT, just DELETE all the channels for that bird to make the SAT go away in the channel list.

you hit the nail on the head on how to add a sat...to do the longitude go into motorized setting, select the satellite, go and change to USALS and enter the direction (89.0W)...hit the OK button to switch from E to W

oh no...I just merged two threads he had started with the same issue. Easier to follow one thread then two :)

Sorry .... I jumped ship . :eek:

I was replying and all of a sudden the thread was merged and I was reading about LNB configurations .

Hope to see huertaaj replying here later , and Fizbi sure did cover the New satellite entry very well.

Good so far. Thanks for the help. You guys are great! With your help, I figured out how to change the name of a satellite but I can't seem to delete one. I have two on my list at 116.8W, one has a name and the other is blank showing only the longitude. How do I delete one of those completely using only the remote? On another note, since I can now only receive C-band channels. I think that either my 4x1 Diseqc switch died, my Ku LNB died, or the Coolsat 5000 is not set correctly. No matter what I do, I can't get Ku band channels any more. I can't remember which LNB's I purchased, I'll have to look. In one of my first messages on this list I did mention what those LNB's were so I'll check that out. Is there a sure-fire way to check whether my Diseqc switch died or if my Ku LNB died?

Always turn the receiver power off (from the back switch or by unplugging) before changing or connecting/disconnecting DiSEqC switches, as they can be burned out very easily by voltage spikes. Easiest way to check a switch is to take the switch out of the circuit, and connect the LNBF directly to the receiver. If it is working without the switch, then the switch might be dead.

Also, remember to set your DiSEqC settings properly (i.e., make sure in satellite setup that you're pointed to the proper port on the switch).

I WAS being careless about plugging/unplugging the Diseqc switch with the power on, and will have to be more careful in the future . I tried what you said and I think I must have blown out both the Diseqc switch and the Ku LNB.
1) Going straight from the Ku LNB to the back of the CS5000 I can't tune anything.
2) Going straight from the C LNB to the back of the CS5000 I can tune normally.
3) With the 4x1 Diseqc switch installed I can't tune either C or Ku

How do I know what the proper port on the switch is in Satellite setup? What should it say? Also, for ALL C-band satellites, should I select 5.125 for the LNB frequency without variation?

Huertaaj
its possible to ruin a diesqc switch but unlikely to damage the lnb
most likely you set the LO for C-band and can't get a KU signal
this is why most of us setup a satellite for each c-band & ku satellite so you don't have to goto setup each time to change it. so if you change the LO setting to 10750 you will probably gain ku signals again.

if its a four port diesqc switch try another port for ku and make sure power is off ( on back of receiver while doing this)
then change setup to reflect the port the ku is on :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)