Need Disney HD to switch

I don't feel Dish caved. If they are about to agree with Disney, then either other companies told Disney to screw so Dish now knows Disney doesn't have grounds for the two fees, or, enough customers told Dish that losing Disney would be a deal breaker for them. I told Dish exactly that. My kids favorite channel is Disney. So I could picture telling a three and one year old "too bad."

I know that we have no knowledge on the ESPN/Dish TV contracts, but I found this interesting: http://about.dish.com/press-release/programming/dish-network-adds-espn2-hd-channel-line-0

One of Dish's press releases from 2006 - they launched ESPN2HD on Feb 1, 2006. If they had a 7 year contract for ESPN2HD carriage, it would be expiring at the end of this month. I couldn't find anything at a later date regarding ESPN2, but I did see where they launched ESPNU later in the year. Also, I see Comcast, Cox, Cablevision, Charter, and U-Verse all signed new contracts with Disney recently (http://multichannel.com/telco-tv/disney-strikes-u-verse-carriage-deal/141232). With all these deals being signed, you know it is only a matter of time before Dish and Directv need to renew.

Scott - I know you don't have info on specific contracts, but do you have any knowledge on re-transmission agreements in general? Is 7 years a reasonable length of a contract?

One would have to assume that Dish and DirecTV could strike similar deals with ABC/Disney. Does anyone find it interesting though that ABC/Disney would be agreeing to carriage agreements with so many providers if they had an opportunity to charge for both HD and SD programming, as they are alleging in the ongoing litigation with Dish? I guess I am assuming that the providers above didn't agree to this in the new agreements. Sure would be nice to put this issue to rest though!!

One would have to assume that Dish and DirecTV could strike similar deals with ABC/Disney. Does anyone find it interesting though that ABC/Disney would be agreeing to carriage agreements with so many providers if they had an opportunity to charge for both HD and SD programming, as they are alleging in the ongoing litigation with Dish? I guess I am assuming that the providers above didn't agree to this in the new agreements. Sure would be nice to put this issue to rest though!!

It is quite possible that Dish has a different contract with Disney than other providers. If it ever gets to court we may find out the details of the arrangement, but I suspect that the issue will be resolved before an actual trial. I could see Dish negotiating something in their contract that they thought was advantageous at the time when they only had SD to only have it backfire on them when HD became popular and they wanted to carry HD. Other providers may not have this issue (i.e. perhaps they pay slightly more for SD and get HD for free).

It would be nice if Disney played the older Disney material. Yes I'm well aware that kids don't want that but the programming is good and given some exposure I believe younger people would enjoy it as well.

I use YouTube on the DirecTV HR24 to watch old Donald Duck shorts with my son an he loves them. Fios has a Disney OnDemand service in SD that does play older movies but I don't think it's worth six dollars a month.

DISNEY/ABC/ESPN company , I don't see giving in , since they are a large corporation and they want to force all media companies to pay them twice for the same content for both hd and sd feeds. I don't see them backing down , so that means DISH had to cave on this one if we are getting the HD feeds back. Either that or DISNEY/ABC/ESPN had changed their minds and is allowing DISH to only buy the HD feeds and they will be downrezzing those feeds for sd customers. EIther way I see our bills going up again to pay for it.

I guess logic is not your strong suit. You say Dish must have caved. Then you go on to say "Either that or DISNEY/ABC/ESPN had changed their minds". If Disney changed their minds, it would mean that they caved.

I guess logic is not your strong suit. You say Dish must have caved. Then you go on to say "Either that or DISNEY/ABC/ESPN had changed their minds". If Disney changed their minds, it would mean that they caved.

THANK GOD we have you Lt. Disher , to point out all our flaws in our logic and thinking! What would we ever do without you? :eek:

Oh yeah , we would actually discuss our ideas without a patronizing a..hole interrupting our train of thought.:rolleyes:

I noticed the promotional stuff on facebook...where dish was sayin...something bout a disney show on disney later that evening. I was sorta like...huh...why they advertising disney channel. So I for one ..could see somethin brewin

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SatelliteGuys

My guess is not IF they make up but WHEN.. all programmers want their programming in as many eyes as possible.. It's realistically only a matter of time before ABC/Disney and Dish become 'pals' again.

Seems to me that Dish networks is betting that they will not lose over 150,000 subscribers more or less over not by not having Disney high def channels. Disney charges about $1.00 per subscriber for its channel. To Dish network that would be about $18 million a month in fees they would have to pay Disney. If they lose only about 50,000 customers and maybe 25,00 potential customers then they still come out ahead about 9 or 10 million dollars a month as compared to what they would be if they carried the Disney high def channels. I don't see how Disney would cave in to Dish because that would set a bad precedent in which the other pay TV providers would follow Dish network's playbook. Only way this is resolved is if Dish started seeing the number of subscribers leaving approach north of 100,000 in rapid fashion where as 150,000 to 200,000 subscribers lost would be clearly seen as inevitable and soon.

Disney HD on Dish.

SOON - "Sometime OR Obstentially Never"

I remember somebody posted that from a few years back, thought it was so funny and sadly true, when it comes to Dish.

Disney HD on Dish.

SOON - "Sometime OR Obstentially Never"

I remember somebody posted that from a few years back, thought it was so funny and sadly true, when it comes to Dish.

True statement and it will be SOON but hopefully sooner than people think but I think it will be awhile but way Scott say and all promos Dish is doing for ABC and ABC not in the lawsuit against Dish maybe something its breweing ;) :)

Maybe it been discussed, but I have not reviewed all the posts on this topic. From my understanding Disney wanted paid for both the sd feed as well as the hd feed. Why couldn't dish pay for just the hd feed and Down convert it to sd before the up link for sd only receivers? What Disney seems to be feeding dish is a down converted version of there hd feed as it is. (minus hd bug of course).

I just hope it gets worked out soon...

Maybe it been discussed, but I have not reviewed all the posts on this topic. From my understanding Disney wanted paid for both the sd feed as well as the hd feed. Why couldn't dish pay for just the hd feed and Down convert it to sd before the up link for sd only receivers? What Disney seems to be feeding dish is a down converted version of there hd feed as it is. (minus hd bug of course).

Its been discussed. Disney won't allow it. Disney wants Dish to pay for the SD feed before they will let them have the option of also paying for the HD feed.

This reminds me of the days when Dish offered a few HD Only Packages. I would SO jump on them if they had them!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts