Need DTV - DVR Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elwayisgod

Original poster
Jun 11, 2006
Hi,

I don't know what to do as every time I call DTV or goto their website I get no answers. Anyways, I want to find out a few things. Currently I have older DTV Tivo's. I only have one line to feed the signal to them. Also, I don't have a way to put a phone line to them as they are in spots where no jack is. Thus I want to upgrade to a current Tivo that possibly supports:

1-Wireless USB connection
2-Can record one program while watching another program on live tv with only one jack in the wall to feed it. Not possible to run two wires from dish?
3-Also, I have USB ports in the back of my current Tivo's. If wireless is not supported, what exactly are those for?

I think there is a TIVO that exists, but can you buy any Tivo and hook it up to DTV?

Then I heard DTV makes their own Tivo's(DVR's) now, thus you have to use one of theirs as Tivo's are not supported on DTV anymore, is that true? Do they have one that will do the above?

Thanks in advance

Sam

Last edited:
Hi,

I don't know what to do as every time I call DTV or goto their website I get no answers. Anyways, I want to find out a few things. Currently I have older DTV Tivo's. I only have one line to feed the signal to them. Also, I don't have a way to put a phone line to them as they are in spots where no jack is. Thus I want to upgrade to a current Tivo that possibly supports:

1-Wireless USB connection
2-Can record one program while watching another program on live tv with only one jack in the wall to feed it. Not possible to run two wires from dish?
3-Also, I have USB ports in the back of my current Tivo's. If wireless is not supported, what exactly are those for?

I think there is a TIVO that exists, but can you buy any Tivo and hook it up to DTV?

Then I heard DTV makes their own Tivo's(DVR's) now, thus you have to use one of theirs as Tivo's are not supported on DTV anymore, is that true? Do they have one that will do the above?

Thanks in advance

Sam

1/3. None of the Directv DVRs use the USB ports yet. There are ways to upgrade the Tivo-based boxes to use a USB-wireless adapter, however http://www.mastersav.com/tivo_zipper.html. The HR20 has an ethernet port which currently has limited capabilities (sending music and pictures from a PC) and I wouldn't be surprised to see further enhancements.

2. No, each tuner requires its own feed from the dish. Directv is developing a system which will work with one wire (the single-wire multiswitch or SWM) which will probably be available later this year. Only the HR20 supports this currently, although the H20 and D12 will do so when the software is upgraded to do so.

None of the current Directv receivers (including the R15 and HR20 DVRs) need a phone connection for updates, etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)