need DVD recorder for DVR625

petalutha

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
We just had dish network installed, and I wish to purchase a DVD recorder to hook up to the dish network DVR (which is the 625 model).

Are there any certain features that I should look for in a recorder? Or are there any that are incompatible with the dish DVR?

I noticed there are a couple on the market now under $100, such as the ilo (at walmart). Are these decent?

I am also unsure what type of wire and which jacks should be used to connect the two devices.

petalutha said:
We just had dish network installed, and I wish to purchase a DVD recorder to hook up to the dish network DVR (which is the 625 model).

Are there any certain features that I should look for in a recorder? Or are there any that are incompatible with the dish DVR?

Most anything should work with it.

I noticed there are a couple on the market now under $100, such as the ilo (at walmart). Are these decent?

Cyberhome (ilo) = stay far far away (unless you're willing to replace them once the warranty runs out). Rule of thumb is also avoid anything made by Funai (Emerson and Magnavox come to mind...Funai makes recorders under other brands as well). Lite-On is generally decent, as well as Panasonic and some other non-bargain basement brands (you get what you pay for)

I am also unsure what type of wire and which jacks should be used to connect the two devices.

If possible, use S-video and RCA (audio) cables to connect the outputs from the Dish receiver to the DVD recorder. That should give you the best picture/best record quality.

what about + or -

Thank you for the tips. I will definitely get one of the more reliable brands.

What do think regarding + or - compatibility. Is one better than the other?

From what I have read, it appears that - is more universally accepted by other DVD players. Most new units have the ability to record on either type.
When I buy one, it will probably be the Panasonic with a hard drive and - and ram recording. Just wish the price would come down on the one I want.

In terms of videogame copies, -R...

In terms of DVD's, it's pretty even. I think -R probably has a slight edge, but it's very slight. It's not the media, it's what you put it in. Anything that's not 5 years old should have no problems with either of them. It shouldn't effect your buying decision.

catnap1972 said:
Rule of thumb is also avoid anything made by Funai (Emerson and Magnavox come to mind...Funai makes recorders under other brands as well). Lite-On is generally decent, as well as Panasonic and some other non-bargain basement brands (you get what you pay for)
Is Magnavox no longer a Philips brand? Anyway...

I recommend sticking with major Japanese brands such as Panasonic and Sony. If you wanna save some money, you can try one of the LG manufactured brands such as Zenith or GoVideo. (Of course, LG also makes the LG brand, but it is much more expensive for the same crap.) If you choose to go with a cheap Korean made brand like that, I prefer LG over Samsung. I would avoid Chinese brands completely, unless price is your only concern.

I'd also stick to -R media for compatability with older set top players. Ritek brand seems to have the best quality to price ratio, and Meritline.com is my favorite online retailer for DVD recording media and supplies.

thanks, everyone, for all the replies.

I will probably try a few before I find the right one.

When I connect the DVDrecorder to the DVR, do I simply connect them via the S video cable, and that's it?

I did that, but then all I could watch was what was recording. Is there any way around that?

As far as I know, I can only watch Tuner 1 upstairs and Tuner 2 downstairs.

What I could do is put the DVD rec downstairs, and then it won't affect what I watch upstairs. ??

petalutha said:
I did that, but then all I could watch was what was recording. Is there any way around that?

On my 525 I have seperate component outputs for tuner1 and tuner2. The Tuner1 outputs go to the TV video1 input, and the Tuner2 outputs to my DVD recorder, then the DVD Recorder outputs to the Video2 input on my TV. To record, I set the TV to Video2, use the Tuner2 remote to control what is recording, then switch the TV back to video1 and use Tuner1 remote to watch something else.

SteveC

DVD media

I buy DVD blank media regularly at a computer fair.
Lots of vendors, lots of good prices.

For regular users, Ritek is probably the best known of top brands.
It gets an A rating, in my book. I've used their +R and -R, 8X media.
I've paid under $40/100, and even got a 100-pack for $25 on sale.

Because I normally need printable media, the A brand I found is ProDisc.
I use -R 8X Silver or White printable media, which goes for about $36/100.
I'm also getting Dysan branded ProDisc white for $30/100, but can't guarantee yours will be the same.
They don't seem to offer +R, but my main consumpton is in -R's, at better than 25 to 1 ratio.

I've tried a lot of house or no-name brands, and found them to be more trouble than they were worth.
One vendor had some nice 4X media for $20/100 that I was delighted with, but then he changed suppliers and offered it for $18/100.
That stuff was made by a company who already had a bad reputation, so be careful what you get.
And be sure to run your own tests... especially at the outside edge of the disc (full discs).
/

petalutha said:
thanks, everyone, for all the replies.

I will probably try a few before I find the right one.

When I connect the DVDrecorder to the DVR, do I simply connect them via the S video cable, and that's it?

Just bought a Daiwou (sp) from Sears , for my wife . Have not used it much , but seems to be OK . Biggest complaint so far is there is not an eject button on the machine , have to use the remote control . :)

It records DVD + - R & DVD + - RW . My old DVD burner in my computer only burns + R . New DVD burner does both . So I have ended up with blanks of both , which ever was on sale at the time . Wanted a recorder that would use both .

In addition , I hav e + RW ' that I have used to experiment on & erase if I mess up . Wanted to be able to use them too .

I kind of doubt if our recorder does dual layer blanks , the new DVD burner does . But it is a moot point untill or unless dual layer blanks come down in price . :-(

Have never bought one .

Wyr

WyrTwister said:
I kind of doubt if our recorder does dual layer blanks , the new DVD burner does . But it is a moot point untill or unless dual layer blanks come down in price . :-(

I think there's a couple of high end set top recorders that will record on double-layer media, but the media is still highly unreliable given the price ($4 coaster anyone?)

Wyr,

I also bought the Daewoo but when I try to burn a DVD, the sound is out of sync with the video.

I am taking it back and praying that a new brand will be better and more reliable. I do not have time to make coasters!

I was also disappointed with the menu options on the Daewoo. But I'm used to burning DVDs from my PC and having complete control over titles, menus, etc. I hate just hitting 'record'!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)