Need good Roof Installer in ATL

kluken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
OK I went through 3 attemtps to get Dish installed on roof 5 months ago, finally had to find a local retailer to do it, but the gf is moving and needs a roof install on the new place. The original retailer will not do it as it is outside his zone. It is a 2 story townhome, but you know Dish with its insane we don't do roofs. The home is in East Alpharetta off Nesbit Ferry Road near Holcomb Bridge. Can anyone hook me up with a contractor or Dish retailer that will do the roof install. It will need runs down the front and back of home as one TV is in front living room, other in back bedroom. Hell I'm willing to pay/tip somone if they can come do it and do it well, this Saturday would be preferable.

Thanks!!!

Dish doesn't install on roofs??? Both of my installs (2004 and 2007) have been on roofs. A one story roof and a 2nd story roof. My in-laws just got Dish and it is installed on the roof. My understanding was that installing on a post was an extra cost option reserved for when installing on the roof was problematic.

Ummm... we do roof mounts all the time... much more solid mount than a facia board (assuming the tech manages to get a couple of lag bolts to hit a stud).... you're either getting some lazy techs at your house, or private installers that don't have a 28 foot extension ladder....

The official rule is we do not STAND on roofs without installing Fall Protection (which most offices tell their techs to NOT install due to property damage claims), making the unofficial rule, "Do Not Get on the Roof", however that "rule" is said with tongue-in-cheek as it is really just a way for Dish to cover their ass if/when a technician were to fall off and try to sue. (In reality, most of us do every day.... shhhh!) ... but for new installs, the Dish shouldn't be mounted over living space... which just means we can't mount it on the roof in the center of your house... we have to mount it on an eave portion of the roof, which can be done from a ladder without actually getting on top of the roof.

Question though...Why do you say it HAS to be mounted on the roof anyway?

OK I went through 3 attemtps to get Dish installed on roof 5 months ago, finally had to find a local retailer to do it, but the gf is moving and needs a roof install on the new place. The original retailer will not do it as it is outside his zone. It is a 2 story townhome, but you know Dish with its insane we don't do roofs. The home is in East Alpharetta off Nesbit Ferry Road near Holcomb Bridge. Can anyone hook me up with a contractor or Dish retailer that will do the roof install. It will need runs down the front and back of home as one TV is in front living room, other in back bedroom. Hell I'm willing to pay/tip somone if they can come do it and do it well, this Saturday would be preferable.

Thanks!!!

If you're talking about a roof overhang, then there's no reason they shouldn't be able to do it. If you want them to mount it in the middle of your roof, no reputable installer (and DEFINITELY no DNS technician) will mount over a living space.

Roof installs on a town home can be tricky.
Have you found out what the rules for installation of a dish in your community are, Most townhouse, condo and any MFD will NOT permit a roof installation. ( Otar will spell out what can and cannot be allowed). Personally I will not get on a 2nd story roof, but I am old, fat, and I work alone so for safety I wont. But I know plenty who will and 50% of all installs done in the great northeast are done on the roof.

Are you installing it on the roof for LOS or for aesthetics?

Both, it is a small townhouse, seems everytone has them on the back down edge of the roof. I had an 11 foot dish on my roof years ago, yet Dish is worried about their lame installers with a 2 foot dish, very funny.

Ummm... we do roof mounts all the time... much more solid mount than a facia board (assuming the tech manages to get a couple of lag bolts to hit a stud).... you're either getting some lazy techs at your house, or private installers that don't have a 28 foot extension ladder....

The official rule is we do not STAND on roofs without installing Fall Protection (which most offices tell their techs to NOT install due to property damage claims), making the unofficial rule, "Do Not Get on the Roof", however that "rule" is said with tongue-in-cheek as it is really just a way for Dish to cover their ass if/when a technician were to fall off and try to sue. (In reality, most of us do every day.... shhhh!) ... but for new installs, the Dish shouldn't be mounted over living space... which just means we can't mount it on the roof in the center of your house... we have to mount it on an eave portion of the roof, which can be done from a ladder without actually getting on top of the roof.

Question though...Why do you say it HAS to be mounted on the roof anyway?

The townhouse is narroa and I don't see it going on the front of the house. Also the roof makes the 2 runs easier, one run needs to go to front first floor for living room, other run needs to go back upstairs for bedroom. Even if it could be mount in front there would still need to be a run over the house to tget to back upstairs.

The townhouse is narroa and I don't see it going on the front of the house. Also the roof makes the 2 runs easier, one run needs to go to front first floor for living room, other run needs to go back upstairs for bedroom. Even if it could be mount in front there would still need to be a run over the house to tget to back upstairs.

Where is the ground at? It has to be grounded. You just can't run 2 lines straight from the dish to the rooms.

If it can't be grounded properly, it's a NOGO, no matter how pissed you get at your installer or Dish.

Go to the dishnetwork web site and under support . Go to the installation link and the page will bring up another link to local installers. Put in your zip code and list of companies will come up. I put it up for 30004. Too many to list here came up. So call as many as you need and explain what you need.

Where is the ground at? It has to be grounded. You just can't run 2 lines straight from the dish to the rooms.

If it can't be grounded properly, it's a NOGO, no matter how pissed you get at your installer or Dish.

The ground can run down the back side of the house direct into the dirt. I am all for doing it right, but let's face it the SAT industry wants their cake and eat it too. Being picky about roof installs is a way to cover them from sub-par installers. COme on guys, how many homes really can get LOS from the ground, or even have a place to put it on the ground that may not get blocked. Funny in NYC area if they didn't do roof mounts they might have like 10 customers :D
I never saw an industry so adverse to gaining customers.

Roof installs on a town home can be tricky.
Have you found out what the rules for installation of a dish in your community are, Most townhouse, condo and any MFD will NOT permit a roof installation. ( Otar will spell out what can and cannot be allowed). Personally I will not get on a 2nd story roof, but I am old, fat, and I work alone so for safety I wont. But I know plenty who will and 50% of all installs done in the great northeast are done on the roof.

This townhome is private, the roof is hers not common property, there are dishes all over the place on the roofs, but I think they mostly look like DirecTV, maybe they are not as picky.

Go to the dishnetwork web site and under support . Go to the installation link and the page will bring up another link to local installers. Put in your zip code and list of companies will come up. I put it up for 30004. Too many to list here came up. So call as many as you need and explain what you need.

Thanks, I'll try that and make some calls!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)