Need HD antenna rec. if 7 miles from tower

elephant98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
I've got a few rather fact specific questions that I could not find answered by perusing the other threads on this site. Help in answering any of them is greatly appreciated.

According to the antennaweb.org website, my home is 6.5 to 7.1 miles west of the towers that broadcast the digital channels for ABC, FOX, NBC and CBS. The website has a color coding chart which indicates that my home falls into the YELLOW category --- meaning that I will need a small multi-directional antenna. There are no apparent obstructions or tall buildings that I know of that would block the signals from getting to my home.

Having done a little research, I see that Terk has a satellite dish mount antenna (TV 44) that easily clips onto the DirecTV dish and should meet my needs. Has anyone had any experience with this antenna? Are there better options in this category? Also, is there any reason why I should go with a stronger antenna even though I'm so close to the signal towers?

I'm worried about the aesthetics and don't want to haggle with my homeowner's association about the placement of the antenna, so I'd prefer to go with a dish mount antenna, if possible. But, I'm also worried about the fact that my dish will face one direction (SW?), while the antenna towers are to the east. Is that a limitation for a clip on antenna?

Finally, because of the location of my home, and lack of obstructions, perhaps I would be better off going with an indoor amplified UHF/VHF antenna? My understanding is that outdoor antennas are normally preferable to indoor ones, but maybe my closeness to the towers makes this a non-issue? I hear that radio shack has a few good ones.

Thanks in advance for any possible suggestions that you may have. :)

No to Terk -How about a Zenith Silver Sensor,Antennas Direct DB2 or a RadioShack Indoor.
From your distance a UHF loop should work.

Thanks, but . . .

I checked out the Zenith Silver Sensor and the Antennas Direct DB2. They look good. However, I need a UHF/VHF anntena, while those appear to be only UHF. Even though the vast majority of digital signals are broadcast in UHF, both ABC and FOX are currently being sent in VHF in my area. :(
I'll check out the radio shack offerings.

Thank you for your replies.

what are the VHF numbers. Since your so close and the silver is designed to receiver channels around 30 miles away, it might be able to pick up those vhf stations. I have a vhf station in my market and the antenna picks up the station just fine

it may or may not work.

Other people have used an indoor radio shack antenna that is silver with to loops with mesh reflector and bunny ears. It didn't work will for me but it may for you...

Are all the broadcasting towers on the same compass azimuth from your home (antennaweb provides the compass headings)? I'm assuming all your DTV stations are broadcasting at a decent power level based on the YELLOW antenna reading from antennaweb. If both of the preceding are true, you will probably be able to pick up all the available DTV signals with a Silver Sensor or other UHF antenna. Good UHF antennas do a pretty good job of receiving VHF for channels above 6, provided that the signal is strong and the antenna is pointed at the tower.

Carl B said:
Are all the broadcasting towers on the same compass azimuth from your home (antennaweb provides the compass headings)? I'm assuming all your DTV stations are broadcasting at a decent power level based on the YELLOW antenna reading from antennaweb. If both of the preceding are true, you will probably be able to pick up all the available DTV signals with a Silver Sensor or other UHF antenna. Good UHF antennas do a pretty good job of receiving VHF for channels above 6, provided that the signal is strong and the antenna is pointed at the tower.

The broadcasting towers are apparently near one another. According to antennaweb, the NBC and CBS compass headings are both at 103 degrees, and both are 7.1 miles away. Those the the UHF signals. The ABC heading is 104 degrees, and the Fox heading is 105 degrees. Both of those towers are 6.5 miles away. Those are the VHF signals.

Based on everyone's advice, for which I am grateful, I'll give both the Silver Sensor and a radio shack antenna a shot to see which I like best. :)

Oh, and I'll stay away from Terk! :shocked

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)