Need HD dish info

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pjwdw

Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
east central mo
I plan to replace the dish on my cabin with an HD dish. I have begun a search for a used one but do not know what I am looking for. I only have one TV at the cabin and currently have two RG6 leads coming in. I will carry one of my HD receivers from home with me when I travel to the cabin. At home I have have an older (not slimline dish), so if I install a newer dish at the cabin I understand that the receiver will need to be configured and reconfigured as I move to and from the cabin. I would like to keep things as simple as possible. I guess that means finding a dish like I have at home? I will be working with an HR22 or HR23 receiver. I have located a slimline receiver for sale but the owner of the house it is attached to does not know the model. I have asked for a picture of the dish and the LNB. What is a fair price for a used dish? All advice will be greatly appreciated.
jd

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

The Slimline dishes are all the same, it's the lnb that is different. If you get the same type as what you have at your home, then you won't have to redo the setup each time you move one of your receivers/dvrs. Check the lnb at your home and get the same type. For a used dish I would say maybe $25 is fair.

Thanks Chip, just the kinda info I am looking for. My project will be stalled until I get back home and ID my LNB. Are there any model numbers or other features to key on in order to make a positive ID?

By the way, my Pop 1905-1980, was a Studebaker fan. His, and my favorite was a 1951 gray bullet nose. Mighty Fine!
jd

sls3.jpgsls5.jpgAnother Studebaker fan! Woo hoo! :)

There should be a model number on the lnb. If it looks like the first one, it's an SL3, the second is an SL5. If you have more than one cable from the dish, then it's not a swm setup. If you have only one, and you have a dvr or more than one receiver, then it's a swm type.

I am certain that I do not have a swm setup. Amazing how a little help from friendly people can simplify life. The images are very helpful. I can send them to the owner of the dish, who hopefully will then be able to id what he has. I'm on hold now till I get back home around 9/4. No doubt I'll be back seeking more knowledge. You da Man Skip!
jd

Happy Labor Day Everyone!

Back home now and have determined that I have an SL3 LNB attached to my slimline dish. My effort to locate an HD dish to install at the cabin has turned up two very good setups, but both are SWM LNB's. My number one priority is to keep the install simple. Consequently, the inconvenience of setting up the receiver each time I come and go is not that big of a concern. I am leaning toward buying one of the "good setups" mentioned above and swapping out the LNB with a new SL3 (assuming I can buy one).

My dish at home has four leads from the dish to a 6X8 ms. At the cabin I have two grounded leads from the present dish directly attached to my SD DVR. Can I run only two leads from the SL3 or will I have to add two more. If so will I need a multiswitch or splitter or whatever to connect the 4 incoming leads into? I will only be using an HR 23 DVR at the cabin.

If I must run 2 more cables to accomodate the SL3, then I will reconsider the practicality of going with the SWM single lead and the inconvience of recurring setups.

What should I expect to pay for a new SL3 LNB? Are they all the same or, are there some cheapies that I should avoid? If I locate a used SL3, how likely is it that it will even work, or will last for a reasonable time?

Thanks to all!
jd

Happy Labor Day Everyone!

Back home now and have determined that I have an SL3 LNB attached to my slimline dish. My effort to locate an HD dish to install at the cabin has turned up two very good setups, but both are SWM LNB's. My number one priority is to keep the install simple. Consequently, the inconvenience of setting up the receiver each time I come and go is not that big of a concern. I am leaning toward buying one of the "good setups" mentioned above and swapping out the LNB with a new SL3 (assuming I can buy one).

My dish at home has four leads from the dish to a 6X8 ms. At the cabin I have two grounded leads from the present dish directly attached to my SD DVR. Can I run only two leads from the SL3 or will I have to add two more. If so will I need a multiswitch or splitter or whatever to connect the 4 incoming leads into? I will only be using an HR 23 DVR at the cabin.

If I must run 2 more cables to accomodate the SL3, then I will reconsider the practicality of going with the SWM single lead and the inconvience of recurring setups.

What should I expect to pay for a new SL3 LNB? Are they all the same or, are there some cheapies that I should avoid? If I locate a used SL3, how likely is it that it will even work, or will last for a reasonable time?

Thanks to all!
jd

Seeing you want to make the exchange between locations as seamless as possible, I would either keep looking or buy the set up you are seeing and purchase a SL3 LNB.

Check here:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=SL3&d=DIRECTV-SL3-SlimLine-Four-Out-Ka/Ku-Slim-Line-LNB-(SL3)

Or here if your comfortable dealing with Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=SL3+LNB&tag=satell01-20

Or the whole set up for:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0034DL3WY/?tag=satell01-20

Last edited:
Thanks Jimbo!

The prices are better than I expected. Do you know if I must attach 4 RG6 cables to the four SL3 outputs in order to get all 3 satellites? Sure would be easy on me if I can get by with the two leads already there.

Good luck to your Buckeyes this year. My MIZZOU TIGERS take on the UGA BULLDOGS next Saturday, We will be seriously tested in our inaugural SEC contest. Wish us luck!

Thanks Jimbo!

The prices are better than I expected. Do you know if I must attach 4 RG6 cables to the four SL3 outputs in order to get all 3 satellites? Sure would be easy on me if I can get by with the two leads already there.

Good luck to your Buckeyes this year. My MIZZOU TIGERS take on the UGA BULLDOGS next Saturday, We will be seriously tested in our inaugural SEC contest. Wish us luck!

If your only running the 1 recvr, you would run 2 lines, thats it.
Personally, when I set one up that has 4 leads coming from the LNB, I run 4 lines from the LNB to the Ground block and the rest of what I need from there, that way, if I ever change set ups, I already have the 4 lines ran to a place I can easily get too.

If your only running the 1 recvr, you would run 2 lines, thats it.
Personally, when I set one up that has 4 leads coming from the LNB, I run 4 lines from the LNB to the Ground block and the rest of what I need from there, that way, if I ever change set ups, I already have the 4 lines ran to a place I can easily get too.

Just to avoid any confusion, pjwdw has an HR23 dvr, so like Jimbo said, he needs two lines from the dish to the dvr. No need for bbcs since it's an HR23 model dvr. Running all four from the dish is just good common sense.

That is great news. Simpler is better. I like your tip re. running all leads to the ground. In this particular setup just running two leads from the dish to the ground works best. Does it mater which 2 of the 4 LNB outputs I use? Should the two left open be capped?
jd

That is great news. Simpler is better. I like your tip re. running all leads to the ground. In this particular setup just running two leads from the dish to the ground works best. Does it mater which 2 of the 4 LNB outputs I use? Should the two left open be capped?
jd

Any two of the four. AFAIK, you don't need to cap the unused ports.

Amazing what one can do with the proper tool. This forum is one such tool. Thanks to all. The project will now be on hold until I acquire the necessary hardware and return to the river (cabin). Then will come the mounting and aiming of the slimline. Lots of good info here on that, so it should be a breeze, right? ha ha. Until next time, Farewell!

Amazing what one can do with the proper tool. This forum is one such tool. Thanks to all. The project will now be on hold until I acquire the necessary hardware and return to the river (cabin). Then will come the mounting and aiming of the slimline. Lots of good info here on that, so it should be a breeze, right? ha ha. Until next time, Farewell!

That pretty much what most of us are here for !

Keep us updated on how it's going :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)