Need HDTV cabling info

Status
Please reply by conversation.
S

sirvega

Original poster
I am currently in the process of building a new house and want to make sure I cable it correctly for HDTV. I plan to buy an HDTV satellite system and want it to power 3 separate locations in my house. Someone told me that I needed to purchase RG6 coaxial cable rated at 3GHz, but they weren't sure. Also, do I need to run multiple cables from the satellite location or just one and put a splitter? I was unsure if this would lower the resolution. Any input would be appreciated.

I believe the RG6 coaxial cable is correct. You may want to think about OTA cabling if you are putting an antenna for your locals via OTA. Also, depending on which satellite provider, you use, you may want to add extra cable for 2 tuners HD DVR and 2 OTA tuners for HD DVR. In a nutshell you will need to run multiple cables; do a search on the provider you want and see what they have to offer and that can give you a good idea. Leave your options open and never stay locked into one provider as the satellite industry changes so rapidly.

Standard RG6 is fine. Since you are building, have each line run all to a central location, such as a garage or closet. Actually run two or three lines at each location back to the same spot. You'll never know when you'll need an additional line for a dual tuner dvr or 2nd receiver or something. Don't forget about the possibility of rearranging things at a latter point. Run extra drops to a couple other locations but just don't hook up these lines.

Your multiswitch can be located at that central location. Also, if you can determine where your OTA antenna and dish will be located, you can run those wires now as well. Again, run a extra line or two from what you need now as things change and lines get cut, rot, etc.

From your original statement are you saying you will have HD in 3 rooms (meaning 3 HD receivers) or 1 receiver and sharing the signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts