NEED HELP... Can't get my DTV dialed in

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blah13

Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
NC
I am a first timer so excuse me if I sound a little off. I am having an issue with my DTV. I have the Slimline 5 LNB dish with 2 HD receivers and an HD DVR. Since direct TV released the new HD channels I can't pick them up ( I am subscribed to them). I have all of my B band converters hooked up but I still come up with the 771 error code. My signal strenght test are below.

Sat. 101 - Transponder 1 - Tuner 1 98%
Sat. 110 - Transponder 8 - Tuner 1 91%
Sat. 119 - Transponder 22 - Tuner 1 96%
Sat. 99(b) - Transponder 1 - Tuner 1 78%
Sat. 113(a) - Transponder 1 - Tuner 1 0%
Sat. 113(b) - Transponder 1 - Tuner 1 0%

Sat. 113 seems to be the issue but I have tried reaiming my dish and I can't get any signal out of it. If I change the TRANSPONDER on 133(b) to 2 I get 91% but still no new HD channels.

I really need some help from someone who is more experienced.

Do you have a multi-switch? If so, what kind (i.e. Zinwell 4x8 or 6x8)? Also, check and see if you have any diplexers in the line(s) and if so, eliminate those as Ku band needs a straight shot to the receiver due to the bandwidth needed. As for the multi-switch, make sure it isn't a 4x8, as this too interferes with the signal since it's transmitted at such a low frequency.

Do you have a multi-switch? If so, what kind (i.e. Zinwell 4x8 or 6x8)? Also, check and see if you have any diplexers in the line(s) and if so, eliminate those as Ku band needs a straight shot to the receiver due to the bandwidth needed. As for the multi-switch, make sure it isn't a 4x8, as this too interferes with the signal since it's transmitted at such a low frequency.

All good points. Just to be accurate, it's the ka band from the new D10 satellite at 103 that is affected by the diplexers.

I have the Zinwell 6x8. As for diplexers what do you mean? I see that on all 3 lines coming from my LNB's come out of the arm and then there are connectors (to extend the line) and then it goes on to my Zinwell. ARe the connectors the "diplexers" that you are reffering to? :confused:

3 lines? There should be a MINIMUM of 4 lines coming from the dish and into the first four ports on the multiswitch (ignore the flex-ports). You sure there isn't 4? As for the diplexers, they are little boxes that look a lot like splitters 'cept you use them to combine 2 signals (i.e. satellite feed and Off-air) to transmit on ONE line to the desired location where a SECOND diplexer is attached to split the signals out again. Have any of those in your cable runs?

THere are only 3 lines. Should there be 4 coming out fromth LNB's?. My dish was on the house when I moved in so do I need o take it apart and install a new line?

Yes, you need four lines for that multiswitch... 2 to the DVR, and 1 each to your standard HD receivers. Also, are you sure you have the RIGHT dish? The slimline is appx. 3-ft. wide and actually SAYS "Slimline" on it.... But the 4 lines is a definite.

<a href="http://www.2000networks.com/accessories/dishes_lnbs/images/directv_slimline_au9_dish.jpg">Note the extra wide lnb as well...</a href>

Last edited:
Yes mine says SLimline on it. One of my receivers is only digital but I am chaning it out to an HD at Christmas. So I have a total of 3 receivers with 1 DVR. I still would need for line even if it isn't an HD receiver wouldn't I ? If I take LNB's off and run the 4th wire should this fix my problem?

I would think running the fourth line would fix your problem. Does your DVR have two lines running to it already? Also, for trouble shooting purposes... if you have a barrel/connector, you could try connecting the line(s) running from the dish DIRECTLY to the line(s) to your HD/DVR completely bypassing the switch to see if that resolves the issue too!

Yes its a SLimline. Its written on there. There are only 3 wires coming from it. Does it need 4? One of my current receivers is not HD (for the moment) if that makes a difference.

I will try that. Thanks for you input. Let me know if you have any other ideas. I will keep you all posted on my progress.

By the way, a freind of mine thought it could be a bad LNB, could this be the case?

Late to the party here, as usual. Yes, you need the fourth line from the dish.

Yup,
4 lines.......reset all receivers...........check 101 & 119.............change the sat lines around and see if the problem moves..then consider the LNB.

I bet....installing the missing line will do it.

Joe

You All Are Pure Genius.... Its Amazing What A Fourth Line Will Do.

Thanks For Your Input.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)