Need Help Choosing 4dtv Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

merriemae

Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
I'am thinking of getting a 4dtv receiver for my 10 foot bud. I see that 922s are going for 400.00 on ebay thats to high for my buget right now. the 920s are quite a bit less. I see that the 920 can't get scpc . can someone tell me what this is and is it important? does it mean I won't get some channels? Also is there any way to tell if the bat is still ok when buying off ebay? If it powers on does this mean anything? Thanks

My VERY newbie understanding... the main difference I was told is that the 920 can't output 5.1 by itself.

merriemae said:
I'am thinking of getting a 4dtv receiver for my 10 foot bud. I see that 922s are going for 400.00 on ebay thats to high for my buget right now. the 920s are quite a bit less. I see that the 920 can't get scpc . can someone tell me what this is and is it important? does it mean I won't get some channels? Also is there any way to tell if the bat is still ok when buying off ebay? If it powers on does this mean anything? Thanks

Yes the 920 can't tune some channels that the 905 and 922 can, also the 920 need to be upluged to load new maps everytime channels are added or removed the 922 is auto, the 920 does not output 5.1.

You best bet is to grab a new one with warranty from:
www.skyvision.com
Everyone is out of stock for about a month though I think Skyvision has some.

Agreed...

tdti1 said:
Yes the 920 can't tune some channels that the 905 and 922 can, also the 920 need to be upluged to load new maps everytime channels are added or removed the 922 is auto, the 920 does not output 5.1.

You best bet is to grab a new one with warranty from:
www.skyvision.com
Everyone is out of stock for about a month though I think Skyvision has some.

I agree (since I have both). Also I think the tuner in the 922 is a little bit more sensitive! I did not even know about the 920's limitations until I upgraded and LEARNED from this forum!

If your budget only allows a 920...try to find one that had it's battery replaced...Life expectancy is about 10 yrs! I have an orig GI 920 (bought in 1997 new by me) and replaced the battery myself (it is now my spare) Did not get brave enough until I received my 922! See the faq for the Battery thread! Also, if you see a used GI (not Motorola) 922...same battery issue is there but should last a bit longer THEN THE 920 SINCE IT WAS PRODUCED LATER! IF THE BATTERY GOES...THE SET IS TOAST! (unit ID is lost)

jeff

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts