Need help. Considering switching to DTV

ShawnB137

Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Sparta, NJ
Hello. I am a long time Dish customer, but have been contemplating switching to DTV. I am brand new to this site, and I am hoping I can get some feedback from the experts. Years ago (probably 10 years or more) I had purchased DTV equipment at Best Buy. I quickly learned that I should have purchased the equipment directly from the provider, but being new to satellite I was ignorant about the process. After a huge headache with DTV customer service, and a return to Best Buy, I was finally able to set up an install appointment. After a month and three cancelled appointments by the installer (which meant using 3 vacation days that I didn't have to) I cancelled DTV and went to Dish. I have been extremely happy with Dish; both their equipment and customer service. These days responsive, polite customer service seems to be hard to find.

My reasons for the proposed switch:

I currently have America's Top 250 plus HD for $79.99, HBO $13.00, Cinemax $13.00, Blockbuster that just appeared one day which runs me $10.00 per month and I have found no use for. My equipment is the VIP22K and VIP612, which gives me 3 TV's and two DVR's. My total bill is $138.99 per month. I will probably drop Blockbuster and Cinemax which will drop my bill to $115.99. $115.99 is still much more than I would like to spend.

At a glance, and being a potential new subscriber, it looks like I could save by switching to DTV. But is it worth it?

What really got me considering the switch was the potential for Dish to drop AMC etc. I almost switched a few years ago when they dropped my local sports channel. I do not watch a ton of sports, but aside from football, I rarely get to see the hockey or baseball teams I like on Dish. And I don't want to pay even more for the various sports packages. Like I said, I considered switching then, but never pulled the trigger. Now with the potential loss of AMC and other channels that I do watch, I am seriously considering a switch. Checking the various channel packages from both, I just can't seem to find one that covers all the channels I like to watch. Unfortunately for me I enjoy some of the more obscure channels that tend to only be on the premier packages if at all. Fios is not an option where I live and Cable is just terrible. I spent the last few hours going through threads on this site and this looks like the place to go for advice.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Whether it be how to reduce my bill, opinions regarding quality of equipment of either company, customer service, the whole Hopper/Joey thing vs DTV's whole home system, or just which company is better overall. I realize I am asking a myriad of questions that are all over the place, but I just want to make an educated choice and figure that the people on this site are the best people to ask.

Thanks.

- Shawn

You might have better luck in the directv section for comparisons of directv packages. It would also help if you named some specific obscure channels you want to make sure you get. I would like to help but I'm not as familiar with the directv packages.

Platinum HD became Blockbuster and has four EPIX, SMC, PIXL, HDNet, HDNetMovies, MGM, MoviePlex, Indie and Retro as well as some other channels. You may want to rethink Blockbuster if you watch any of these channels. You can also get HBO and Max for 1/2 price for six months. Try a PM to a DIRT member to go over programing options, they can also cancel the service and set up equipment returns if you need it.

Thanks to all. I did also post in the Direct TV forum, as well as the Dish v. DTV War Zone, but being new here, I don't rally have a feel for how polarized the two groups are and I kinda wanted to hear what both sides have to say.

Hi Shawn, and :welcome to Sat Guys! I am sorry that you are thinking about leaving DISH but I can understand. If you are wanting to have your account reviewed to see if there is anyway to lower your bill, I can assist you with that. Please PM me your full name, account or phone number, and the 4 digit pin number on the account and I will see what I can do.

Blockbuster@Home is the renamed "DISH Platinum" package. We changed the name and added features to the channels that you were receiving as a part of that package and did not change the price. You do not have to activate the Blockbuster features but you are still getting the DISH Platinum channels.]

On a side note: DIRT is not able to disconnect accounts, we can get you to the department that will handle these requests but just wanted everyone to know. Thank you!

You might have better luck in the directv section for comparisons of directv packages. It would also help if you named some specific obscure channels you want to make sure you get. I would like to help but I'm not as familiar with the directv packages.

Aside from the main networks (and the sports channel I lost as well as AMC which I may lose), I tend to watch Syfy, Military Channel, Science Channel, the various History Channels, BBC, Comedy Central, Cartoon Network, Discovery, FX, some of the outdoor/sportmans channels, and occasionally the various movie channels. My tastes vary greatly and I DVR a ton. I am sure if I sat down and took some time I could do a side by side comparison, but I have found it difficult to even find printable comprehensive channel listings on either website, although I have had better luck with Dish's website. I really would like to stay with Dish, but between the loss of channels and the fact that unless I want to really reduce programming and cut out a TV or two, it's hard to save money. I don't know why the various companies do not do more to try and retain customers. If Cable wasn't so bad or Fios was available I would consider changing to one of them. My friends that have those pay much less than me monthly and they get internet and phone included. Between Dish and Cable internet I pay close to $200 per month and I don't even have a home phone. I had tried the Dish/DSL deal in the past, but the local phone company they affiliated with was still more per month than cable internet and the equipment and customer service was horrible. But I seem to have gotten off track. Lol. Anyway, I appreciate the insight. Thank you.

Hi Shawn, and :welcome to Sat Guys! I am sorry that you are thinking about leaving DISH but I can understand. If you are wanting to have your account reviewed to see if there is anyway to lower your bill, I can assist you with that. Please PM me your full name, account or phone number, and the 4 digit pin number on the account and I will see what I can do.

Blockbuster@Home is the renamed "DISH Platinum" package. We changed the name and added features to the channels that you were receiving as a part of that package and did not change the price. You do not have to activate the Blockbuster features but you are still getting the DISH Platinum channels.]

On a side note: DIRT is not able to disconnect accounts, we can get you to the department that will handle these requests but just wanted everyone to know. Thank you!

Thanks for the reply Mary. I had no idea Dish had reps on this site. Now I feel really out of touch. Lol. I will PM you if I can figure it out. I'm not much of a Forum guy, so I am a bit behind the learning curve.

Aside from the main networks (and the sports channel I lost as well as AMC which I may lose), I tend to watch Syfy, Military Channel, Science Channel, the various History Channels, BBC, Comedy Central, Cartoon Network, Discovery, FX, some of the outdoor/sportmans channels, and occasionally the various movie channels.

You will lose BBCA with D*. That is one of the main reasons I would never make the switch.

You will lose BBCA with D*. That is one of the main reasons I would never make the switch.

It's a tough choice. I like a lot of BBC programming, but also really enjoy AMC. Combine that with the local sports I lost and I am getting tempted. Thanks for the input KAB.

If you were gettign the top 250 and paying for 2 movie packages plus blockbuster I would consider changing your package to the everything package and dropping blockbuster. You might actually save some money and get even more movie channels. Since you are a long time customer you may also be able to get some monthly credits if you ask.

HBO is actually $16/mo. by itself. If you have Cinemax with it (reg. $13/mo. By itself), then it would be bundled with HBO for $24/mo.

I also noticed that you stated that you are paying $79.99/month for AT250 and HD. I would try getting HD Free For Life to reduce the bill by $10/month. In other words, AT 250 with HD 250 Free would be $69.99/month. This usually requires autopay and paperless billing; just watch that it does not extend your contract if you plan on leaving within 2 years.

America's "Everything" Pak for currently $104.99/month with HD AEP Free (at least that is what I will call it--probably HD 250 Free still) may be worth checking out. It contains AT 250 and all four premium packages (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz). You still must have the HD Free For Life promo on your account to get the free HD; otherwise, it is $10/month unless you only want HD locals (if available) and HD premiums without the HD Free For Life promo which I doubt.

Blockbuster @ Home which is $10 a month has one disc at a time service (I believe this includes DVDs, Blu-rays, and video games) with it along with other channels like Starz Cinema, Sony Movie Channel, HDNet Movies, MGM HD, Epix 1 HD, Epix 2 HD, Epix 3 HD, RetroPlex HD, IndiePlex HD, MoviePlex (also in AT 250), Mav TV, Velocity, Crime & Investigation HD, Centric, Logo, Palladia (may be in AT 120 with HD as per DIRT members comments on the forum), Encore Suspense (also in AT 250), Pixl, and Universal HD, Hallmark Movie Channel (also in AT250), and WFN. For more information, please visit: http://www.dish.com/entertainment/blockbuster/

Also, do not forget about www.dishonline.com

In my opinion, Dish seems to be cheaper than DirecTV. DirecTV can become costly especially after the first two years. My family's installations with Dish have gone smoother than with DirecTV. However, you may find that others say differently. So, it may depend on how knowledgable the installer is.

If you need a channel lineup card for Dish, please visit this site: http://www.mydish.com/programmingguides/
Dish's pricing is currently:
Welcome Pack $14.99
http://www.mydish.com/support/channels/packagewelcomepack.aspx
Dish Family $24.99
Dish America $34.99
America's Top 120 $44.99
Dish Latino Dos $44.99
Dish America Silver $49.99
America's Top 120 Plus $49.99
Dish Latino Max $57.99
Dish America Gold $59.99
America's Top 200 $59.99
America's Top 250 $69.99
America's "Everything" Pak $104.99
DVR Service $6 ($40 one-time charge for 211s with EHDs)
I hope that I got that all right.

If you need a channel lineup card for DirecTV to compare, please visit this site:
http://www.att.com/Common/PDF/DIRECTV_English_Channel_Lineup.pdf

Family $29.99
http://cdn.directv.com/cms2/support/20120323_family_channel_lineup.pdf
Select $44.99?
http://cdn.directv.com/cms2/support/20120418_select_channel_lineup.pdf
Entertainment $54.99
Choice $63.99
Choice Xtra $68.99
Choice Ultimate $74.99
Choice Premier $119.99
Advanced Receiver-DVR Fee $8

If you are a long time subscriber, do voice your concerns to Dish even if it is through Dish Chat about the AMC Networks dispute and pricing. I would guess that you would get transferred to the Loyalty Department who will most likely give you a discount monthly for 6-12 months of around $10 off or/and some free monthly premiums usually for 3 months although they can range from 1-12 months. If you need the Dish Chat site, please visit here: http://www.dish.com/chat/

Above is a feature I like. DirecTV has something similar on the new customer ordering site, but it is annoying because it is for new customers ordering a package.

Last edited:
HBO is actually $16/mo. by itself. If you have Cinemax with it (reg. $13/mo. By itself), then it would be bundled with HBO for $24/mo.

I also noticed that you stated that you are paying $79.99/month for AT250 and HD. I would try getting HD Free For Life to reduce the bill by $10/month. In other words, AT 250 with HD 250 Free would be $69.99/month. This usually requires autopay and paperless billing; just watch that it does not extend your contract if you plan on leaving within 2 years.

America's "Everything" Pak for currently $104.99/month with HD AEP Free (at least that is what I will call it--probably HD 250 Free still) may be worth checking out. It contains AT 250 and all four premium packages (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz). You still must have the HD Free For Life promo on your account to get the free HD; otherwise, it is $10/month unless you only want HD locals (if available) and HD premiums without the HD Free For Life promo which I doubt.

Blockbuster @ Home which is $10 a month has one disc at a time service (I believe this includes DVDs, Blu-rays, and video games) with it along with other channels like Starz Cinema, Sony Movie Channel, HDNet Movies, MGM HD, Epix 1 HD, Epix 2 HD, Epix 3 HD, RetroPlex HD, IndiePlex HD, MoviePlex (also in AT 250), Mav TV, Velocity, Crime & Investigation HD, Centric, Logo, Palladia (may be in AT 120 with HD as per DIRT members comments on the forum), Encore Suspense (also in AT 250), Pixl, and Universal HD, Hallmark Movie Channel (also in AT250), and WFN. For more information, please visit: DISH and Blockbuster Video Online | DISH Entertainment

Also, do not forget about www.dishonline.com

In my opinion, Dish seems to be cheaper than DirecTV. DirecTV can become costly especially after the first two years. My family's installations with Dish have gone smoother than with DirecTV. However, you may find that others say differently. So, it may depend on how knowledgable the installer is.

If you need a channel lineup card for Dish, please visit this site: DISH Channels and Programming | DISH TV Guide | MyDISH Customer Support
Dish's pricing is currently:
Welcome Pack $14.99
Programming | Welcome Pack | MyDISH Customer Support
Dish Family $24.99
Dish America $34.99
America's Top 120 $44.99
Dish Latino Dos $44.99
Dish America Silver $49.99
America's Top 120 Plus $49.99
Dish Latino Max $57.99
Dish America Gold $59.99
America's Top 200 $59.99
America's Top 250 $69.99
America's "Everything" Pak $104.99
DVR Service $6 ($40 one-time charge for 211s with EHDs)
I hope that I got that all right.

If you need a channel lineup card for DirecTV to compare, please visit this site:
http://www.att.com/Common/PDF/DIRECTV_English_Channel_Lineup.pdf

Family $29.99
http://cdn.directv.com/cms2/support/20120323_family_channel_lineup.pdf
Select $44.99?
http://cdn.directv.com/cms2/support/20120418_select_channel_lineup.pdf
Entertainment $54.99
Choice $63.99
Choice Xtra $68.99
Choice Ultimate $74.99
Choice Premier $119.99
Advanced Receiver-DVR Fee $8

If you are a long time subscriber, do voice your concerns to Dish even if it is through Dish Chat about the AMC Networks dispute and pricing. I would guess that you would get transferred to the Loyalty Department who will most likely give you a discount monthly for 6-12 months of around $10 off or/and some free monthly premiums usually for 3 months although they can range from 1-12 months. If you need the Dish Chat site, please visit here: DISH Customer Care & Service | DISH Support Live Chat

Above is a feature I like. DirecTV has something similar on the new customer ordering site, but it is annoying because it is for new customers ordering a package.

Thank you very much. Your info is extremely helpful.
- Shawn