Need help getting started

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ms977a

Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
I have mounted a Fortec Star 80cm dish with Stab 90 motor on my roof. I was careful to get it oriented to true south, with 39 degree dish elevation as per the Stab manual and web site via Sadoun. So far, nothing except up to 70% signal strength at times. I have an Invacom Quad LNB and for now have the cable plugged directly from the motor to the LNB (L output), bypassing the disque switch so I can find a &^%%$# signal!

I'm at 81.9 degrees west longitude, 38.4 degrees latitude, my southern satellite is Nimiq 2 at 82. I tried using a satellite finder on the roof, but even after loosening the mount and moving the dish sideways, up, down etc. I get nothing. Powered up, the signal finder reads "1" on the scale unless I turn up the gain, then it eventually pegs at max and emmits a sound.

Any ideas?

Thanks-
Mike

Welcome! Read the thread "I am not admitting defeat" - it saved my life! As for that meter, if it is like the one I have, first turn the attenuation all the way clockwise and it will peg it and scream. Then turn it counterclockwise until you are at about "5". Now slowly turn your dish and wait for the meter to move. When it gets pegged again, repeat the process, turning it down to about "5". Once you do this a time or 2, you should be in the ball park. You might have to adjust your elevation also. Mine was way off when I set mine up. Also, listen to what the fellas say on here and you will be up in no time! DON'T give though, it is well worth the effort!

After you have your dish pointed, if you think you are on a sat, do a blind scan and see where you are at. Once I finally understood how to do this, I found I was on the neighboring satellite. I moved the dish, then went to far the other way, but I at least knew where I was at :) I finally got it though. Very fine adjustments once you get close. Someone else will be along shortly to give you better instructions :)

Also, better list what receiver you are using too.

Last edited by a moderator:
ms977a said:
I have an Invacom Quad LNB and for now have the cable plugged directly from the motor to the LNB (L output), bypassing the disque switch so I can find a &^%%$# signal!

I'm at 81.9 degrees west longitude, 38.4 degrees latitude, my southern satellite is Nimiq 2 at 82.

Any ideas?

Thanks-
Mike
I have 1 idea. If you are trying to get Nimiq2 ? For now hook up the C output and make sure the LO setting is 11250. Look on Lyngsat for a live TP (transponder) or maybe your receiver already has one pre-set in it. Then you might want to try a blind scan. if your receiver is capable. Once you get that, then either hook the L output back up, or start using the diseqc switch and have both hooked up. Then you can start scanning the sky for more.
If you currently have the LO correctly set at 10750 for the L output, you may not be getting anything, because Nimiq has nothing for that LO setting and AMC9 would be slightly off the mark and there's probably nothing on right now anyway. That satellite is mostly vacant except occassional sports feeds and a handful of Data TP's.Sorry, but that's your run of the luck, with your location.

Al

Thanks, I'll get on this soon. I was away for a few days and unable to check responses.
Mike

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)