Need help installing dp34 switch

AppliedAggression

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Connecticut
I just installed my new dishpro LNBs, ran a new line and installed a dp34 switch. I can't seem to get a signal at all. I didn't move the Satellites so that's not the problem. I ran the extra cable, plugged the 3 lines into the dp34 switch (110, 119, 61.5) and now ran a check switch. XXX shows up for 1, 1, 2, 2.

I tried covering the 110 sat for aluminum foil to lock on 119, but still no signal. Any idea what's wrong or what I'm not doing right?

When I ran the cable, i guess it's possible one could have broken since it was a tight squeeze at some points. I have it running about 150 feet underground through PVC before it reaches the dp34 switch inside. If one cable did break, would I still get the other sats? (110, 61.5, for example?)

Does it matter which sat is plugged into input 1, 2, and 3 on the dp34 switch? I'm not sure which wire is which, and didn't think it would matter..

RG6/U

Do you think it's the switch that's too far? I had the same distance with legacy equipment before, 2 21 switches were located at the dish then the long cable run into the house.

i would really appreciate feedback, please try to answer my questions in the first post.

Disconnect all of the cables from the input side of the DP-34.

Just hook the 119 lnb to #1. Do a check switch.

Once you have 119 locked and passes the check switch continue.

Hook up the 110 to input #2 and 61.5 to #3 and do another check switch.

You may have to do a few check switches to get the DP-34 to wake up.

Always start with just 119.

This should fix it. If not... I dunno.

I just connected one of the cables coming off one of the sats to a ground block then to the receiver. check switch had x's and no switch found. which there was none hooked up, but i still don't get a signal from any of the satellites.

What type of LNBF is this? Are you using port #1 on the 119 side? That's important!

You haven't answered the question about cables - it MUST be RG-6 swept to at least 2150MHz.

length from sats to switch is probably about 100 feet, then from the switch to the receiver no more than 20.

I said above that i'm using RG6 swept to 2.3 ghz, maybe mhz, whichever it is.

I'm using a dishpro twin and a dishpro single, both ports of the twin are plugged to the switch and the left most port of the single when looking at it from behind the dish.

here's a possibility of what's wrong, i remember before when i put a new post, i had a hell of a time getting it to work just as it was before i installed the new post. i would do a check switch, and get nothing. i wouldn't get a signal at all, then by some miracle i got a signal and then did a check switch and it found it. before today i had legacy with a twin and a single, with 2 21 switches.

is there any reason i shouldn't be getting a signal when i plug one of the lines directly to the receiver? I've tried all 3. this is frusterating. i appreciate the help tho.

Our posts about cable type crossed in the ether - look at the timestamps. :)

One thing that sometimes works - especially when switching Legacy/DishPro is to reset the switch matrix. If I remember right, it's REQUIRED if you go back to the Legacy stuff or you'll likely blow up the gear.

Anyway, clear the matrix by disconnecting the sat feeds, go to stand-by mode (power off), pull the power plug, power up again, run check switch.

After that, I recommend you bypass the switch and test each LNBF feed separately using the recommendations above in post #5 by Mark_AR.

Man, I'm so embarrassed to say this. But first let me start off by thanking you all for taking the time to reply and helping someone out.

I read lots of posts where people are having difficulties and there's always replies stating the obvious. Of course he checked that, I always think. Well...

Before I installed all the Dishpro equipment, i decided it was a good idea to unplug the sat feeds from the receivers, just so there's no current running through the wires, you never know if they'd intersect while running them or what not. It's the overly careful driver that gets into the accident. Running out of ideas, I decided to give one last try before bed, almost 1 am here. I wanted to try SimpleSimon's switch matrix reset, just one of those you never know things. Well, you can imagine my surprise when I put my hand behind the receiver to unplug the sat feed and find it already unplugged. I skipped a heartbeat there, and didn't know if I should smash my head against the wall or just thank god.

I can't help but feel I've wasted all of your time, but please know I do appreciate it. Hopefully this thread will have future use for those with "real" problems. Thanks again, and thank goodness I have TV again!

LOL. Well, at least you were doing the right thing by unplugging the cables - that's a step I often forget to post (but always do it in the field).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)