Need help installing DSR 920

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jtyooper

Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
I picked up a DSR 920 at a garage sale and am trying to install it. I have an existing 10' BUD in the backyard with a working GI 2650R receiver. I have also gotten a c/ku lnb/feedhorn that I would like to install.

My current plan is to set up the new DSR 920 with the existing c-band system to insure it is aimed properly. After it is receiving good signal I will change the lnb setup.

My challenge is that when I installed the BUD a number of years ago, I seem to have forgotten some of the knowledge I learned. I have found directions that tell me what to do; however, they start with pointing your dish at G1. When I look at Lyngsat I do not find a "G1".

Two questions:

1. Is my strategy to set up the receiver first and then change feeds a good one? Or should it be done differently?

2. What degree setting is G1? Is there an existing chart that has current names with degrees on the web someplace?

Cross conversion list between old satellite names and current ones.

Geo-Orbit
site should give you most of the basic info about setting up your BUD, but not your 4DTV receiver.

More resources as to what's on each satellite:
* TheList , a service of this forum has info on both bands.
* Global-CM has C and Ku info, too

So, what did you pay for the 920 at the yard sale? Go ahead and rub it in. :)
What sort of C/Ku LNB/feed have you chosen?

What I would do first is go to G4 channel 16 V and verify you have a good picture without sparklies of The Shepard's Chapel. If all is good go to G-1 (now G-15) and find the analog "ARTS" channel. I think EWTN has an analog on G-1. Make sure those are clear and no sparklies.

If so, leave the dish parked at G-1 and connect the 920. Be sure to configure the 920's installation parameters according to the type of lnb or lnbfs you have.

Verify you have a DC-2 green light on G1 channel 3. You may need to bump the dish a little east or west to get the digital signal. press the right arrow button on the remote and check the signal quality - It should be better than 38. With a 10 footer and clear skies it should be way up there. If so, pull the plug and plug back in so the dsr-920 can download new channel maps from G-1.

after about 30 minutes turn the unit back on and have fun. NPS and SRL are both great programming providers for the subscription channels.

Thanks for the help. I have been able to download the material. Pretty awesome.

I paid $5 for the receiver, and have a Platinum 5000 series c/ku lnb on an adlfeed horn. It may be awhile before I can put that on my dish, as there is a pile of snow here and the temps could be a little warmer ....

Analog channels on G1/G15

Arts on 5
EWTN on 11
ShopNBC on 12
Inspiration on 17

odds are H evens are V

Everything seems to work. I just found the instructions to set up the remote. It seems that the receiver was set up on channel A0, and the remote was set up on channel A3. I was about ready to toss the remote when I came across the instructions - thankfully I've been able to find about everything I need on this site. Thanks to all. I'm checking NPS for some subscription info next.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)