Need Help Installing Switches/OFA, etc

Status
Please reply by conversation.

retsef

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
I have a Dish 500 Quad LNBF which services 3 receivers (522, 811, 811). The 522 is currently connected to two lines and is diplexed or separated not sure which for distribution to whole house.

Just purchased a 921. Need to hook it up. I have a whole house distribution center in the basement which everything runs through with two cable ports in each room. I want to minimize running of additonal cables and use what is existing. I want to connect my OFA for distribution to the two 811s and the 921.

What exactly do I need? I'm confused about swithes, diplexers, and separators especially with the DishPro products.

I'm thinking that I could use a DP21 and connect one satellite cable to the port and the OFA to the other port. Then use a separator at the room to connect to the 921. And then diplex one of the 921 inputs for the OFA input.

I'm thinking an additional DP21 to connect one satellite cable to the port and the OFA to the other port. Then use a separator at the distribution center to connect to the each of the 811 outputs. Then in each room where the 811s are located, use a diplexer and connect one to sat input and one to OFA input.

Does this sound right?

sat input ===>
OFA input ===> DP21 -----existing cable run---->
>-------------------> separator ------>
-from separator---->921 tuner 1
-from separator----> diplexer -------->
-from diplexer----->921 tuner 2
-from diplexer-----> 921 OFA

sat input ===>
OFA input ===> DP21 --> separator ---existing cable run------>
(below repeated twice for each 811)
>--------------------> diplexer ---->
-from diplexer------>811
-from diplexer------>OFA

522 connection remains untouched using existing 2 cable input

Items to purchase:
2 - DP21
2 - DP approved separator
3 - diplexer

You either need to cascade 2 DP34 switches, and run two ports to both of your dual tuner receivers (diplexing the OTA through one of the cables), or purchase a DPP44 switch and 2 separators for your dual tuner receivers. This will allow you to run your OTA through the other cable.

You will not be able to add a fifth and sixth output to your current setup without adding a switch. A DP21 will not help you at all. You can only use the DP Seperator with either the DPP44 or the DPP Twin, but the DPP Twin will not give you enough connections.

Good Luck

Al

One more thing. If you use the DPP44 switch, you need to first connect the 921 without the switch inserted, and force a download. The 921 does not come with software support for the DPP44 installed. You must upgrade to the L211 software in order for the 921 to function correctly with the DPP44 switch.

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.