Status
Please reply by conversation.

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
I'm going to go look at our apartment next week. I'm especially going to be looking out the balcony which faces south. I'm a little concerned about 2 trees they have on the next building over (which is a 1 story building in front of us to the south) which won't be a problem because we're on the second floor.

I need to make sure those trees won't be in the way. How can I tell on a compass where the satellites are? I have a general direction of where they are, but because of those damn trees I want to make sure before we sign the lease a week later.

What is your zip or better your LAT/LON

EDIT:
Damn Neutron, I should have just sent you the links instead of asking for your location.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennasatelazposcalc.html

I also have this nice program on my PC.

http://www.arachnoid.com/satfinder/

These are offset dishes so the signal will come from a bit higher, not direct line of sight from looking at the LNB like a prime focus dish, so the trees would have to be really tall or really close.

Well, I was messing with Earth Google and I can, if possible, get the satellite photo looking down of where our apartment is, tree and everything.

My zip is 75093. The first link you have doesn't list Plano, TX which is odd considering how large of a city Plano is.

Just google your LAT/LON and then manually enter it into the field without selecting a city. You can then determine a single orbital location, but will need a seperate heading for a PhaseIII dish; do you need that info?

PhaseIII: 198 - 49 - 71

Standard
@ 101: 187.6 - 51.3

EDIT

Search Results for ZIP code 75093
Data source: ZIPList5 Geocode (June 2005)

Mailing
Name State ZIP Code Latitude (North) Longitude (West)
Plano TX 75093 33.0344 96.8106

Whats 198-49-71?

I'm assuming the 49 and 71 are azmuth and elevation right?

Sorry

Azimuth (compass heading) = 198
Elevation (angle upward) = 49
Skew (aka tilt) = 71 - set this and leave it.

I've got the overhead picture of our apartment building with that damn tree, if that would help. It's facing north. I got it from Google Earth.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts