Need Help - Lost 20% S and ALL Q Signalling on IA5 97.0W Due to Cold Weather?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I did NOT Terminate the 2 unused Ports, but they are on the bottom and covered with the plastic covers. What type of termination do I need for these 2 unused Ports? I hand threaded all connectors as much as I could, then used needle nose plyers to ensure that all these coax connections were tight. But not overtight.

As Iceberg noted, the plastic covers are fine, and should protect against water/ice. It is the ports on the top where water/ice may be getting in through the coax connectors (just above the part that screws on to the post) if not protected by a weatherproof boot. I know when I had my water/ice problem I tightened the coax connectors as much as I dared, and then swore later when I had to undo them (in the cold) when water once again found its way inside!

Once you have a chance to get back on the roof...your first check should be to see if your pole is plumb, straight and level in all directions. Once you have checked that, then you should be good to try all other suggestions. I'd almost bet the farm that is your issue.

On a motorized system, it is essential that the pole be perfectly level. Any error will be exaggerated by the motor, especially on the far ends of the arc. Check for level with the motor installed, since the pole is often level before installing the motor, but the weight of the motor pulls the pole out of plumb.

Thanks Tron, Bidaw, & Keith, will check the plumb of the Dish, Motor, & Pole in future. It was perfectly level a month ago, when we set it up. But who knows with this 40 degrees below zero weather I guess anything is possible. It seems strange though why it tracks okay WEST, but NOT so well EAST!!

that sounds like the mast went off just a smidge to screw up the signal. I just had to tweak my motorized yesterday because strong winds knocked it just a little off kilter so IA7 (WhiteSprings) wasnt coming in good.

Thanks Tron, Bidaw, & Keith, will check the plumb of the Dish, Motor, & Pole in future. It was perfectly level a month ago, when we set it up. But who knows with this 40 degrees below zero weather I guess anything is possible. It seems strange though why it tracks okay WEST, but NOT so well EAST!!

I don't have a motor on any of my dishes, so I may be way off base on this, but I did notice from your photos that there didn't seem to be a lot of slack in the coax from the LNB to where it wraps around the legs. Could it be that when the dish moves east the coax is catching and straining the motor? Just a thought. You could easily check by having someone move the dish while you check from outside to see if there is anything visibly slowing its progress.

well we can suggest away lol cause i know your not going to jump up there real soon and check it out lol . but a few things you can try. and like i said i don't have a VS so i can only go by what the owners manual says.

so you can try this now in bad weather. where we have been talking about motor control DiSqEC 1.2 for you should be "Installer"
so adjust it from USALS to Installer.

from the user manual If you have a DiSEqC 1.2 motorised system, then you can take advantage of the DiSEqC 1.2 functions available. Choose Installer as Motor and press “F1” key ( for you it might be the enter key). After that, adjust antenna direction using browse keys.

now after i set it to 1.2 on my coolsat another button shows up that allows me to bump or move the moter ever so slightly east or west to fine tune ( you VS might bring up a window like it did when you selected USALS)(make sure you are on a live tp before attempting. you should probably have to hit the enter button to save unless is has a save option.

good luck

Last edited:
Thanks very much guys I appreciate the great suggestions. What I found today was that it is just NOT Sat 97.0W with a low Q Signalling and poor channel reception. Tried for IA6 93.0W, then AMC1 103W, AMC 3 87.0W, and ALL have extremely low Q values. S levels are around 56 - 60. Got NO channels on these Sats either.
It appears the whole dish has contracted back or down? I am wondering if the Dish Elevation has slightly moved down or back due to the extreme cold? Since all the Sats around IA5 97.0 now have a very low Q values - less than 10 - 12. Its supposed to warm up a bit by mid week, up to -5 degrees I think. So it should be interesting to see if anything changes then.

Keith Brannen, & Gabshere, I watched the Dish roll from East (I dialed in 61.5W to see if it would go East - and it did), to West today. From what I could see from the ground, it doesn't appear the extra cabling on the bottom of the mount is causing a problem. But that is a good observation, because I also suspected this. I'll make sure when I can get back up there.

And Iceberg when you Tweaked your Dish what did you have to do? Change the Latitude and Longitude Settings??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts