Need Help on HR20-700 Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dakine

Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
Southern California
I have several questions regarding my HR20-700 receiver...

First, I am trying to hook-up a 2nd HD television in my room where by HR20-700 is located. Not sure how to split the signal to the second television. I called DirecTV and they told me that the only way you can split the signal is before you connect to the receiver and that I would need a multi-switch type splitter to boost the signal. Also, I would need a second receiver. I actually have an older Hughes/Tivo HR-250 receiver. Is there any other way that I can simply use only my HR20-700 to connect the second television? If I went that route, is there a way to move from my IR remote to an RF remote? The DirecTV person told me that the HR20-700 does not have a connector on the back to utilize an RF remote. By the way, my 2 televisions are about 6 feet a part and face the opposite directions. My primary is used to watch television from bed and the other is used to watch television from a treadmill...

My last question has to do with the amount of time it takes to change channels on my HR20-700. It takes between 4-5 seconds to change channels and see/hear the changed channel. That is a really long time. The technician who installed my unit told me that DirecTV is aware of this issue and that they will correct it with a software release. I'm currently on version Oxac. When I called DirecTV today, they said that they have not heard this complaint, but would certainly file it on my behalf. Anyone else experiencing this issue? What have you heard???

Thanks for any assistance to my questions.:)

First, I am trying to hook-up a 2nd HD television in my room where by HR20-700 is located. Not sure how to split the signal to the second television. I called DirecTV and they told me that the only way you can split the signal is before you connect to the receiver and that I would need a multi-switch type splitter to boost the signal. Also, I would need a second receiver.
======================================================================
You CANNOT split the Sat signal BEFORE it goes to the receiver, unless you do plan on using a second rec.
IF you are using a 2nd rec. , then YES use a multiswitch at the dish if nessasary and you'll need to run a second line of coax also.

Why not just use your HR20-700, hook it up to the 1st TV, with component cables. then run a 2nd set of component cables to the 2nd TV, provided you have component on the 2nd tv, if not you can use composite, s video or coax to feed the 2nd tv as well, depending on how old the TV is and if you care about how the 2nd TV picture looks.

The D* person you talked to must not know much about the HR20-700, because YES it does have a IR/RF setting on it so you can use your remote RF, you set it up in the "Setting" fior the HR20-700 under "remote".

As for the channels changing slowly, I had this problem too, I really like the "Native" Idea so the TV does the processing, but got tirwed of the long delay to have channels come in. I finally changed my Native setting and that took care of the channel delay, and to my suprise, it didn't seem to change that much picture quality wise.

The delay is due to the receiver looking to figure out what the original resolution is that the show should be shown in.

==========================================================================
I'm currently on version Oxac.

I am suprised that this is your current version, this one is easy, the HR20-700 automatically updates, so just do a red button reset (behind the access panel on front) or unplug the unit and when you plug it back in it will download the updates you are missing, almost sounds like this has been unplugged for awhile.
but thats OK, it will update when you unplug or do the reset.

Jimbo

Last edited:
My 2nd television is also HDTV compatible, so I like your idea of running a second set of cables from the HR20-700 to it. I assume you mean the red/green/blue RCA type cables? That is what I have hooked up to my primary television. Back to the RF remote.... I saw under setup that you can configure for it. When I spoke with the D* person, he told me that the unit does not have a connection for the RF receiver. Can you advise and also what do you recommend for an RF remote? I assume that the existing remote does not support RF and is IR only?

Finally, how do you change to native to eliminate the delay in changing channels?

My 2nd television is also HDTV compatible, so I like your idea of running a second set of cables from the HR20-700 to it. I assume you mean the red/green/blue RCA type cables? That is what I have hooked up to my primary television. Back to the RF remote.... I saw under setup that you can configure for it. When I spoke with the D* person, he told me that the unit does not have a connection for the RF receiver. Can you advise and also what do you recommend for an RF remote? I assume that the existing remote does not support RF and is IR only?

Finally, how do you change to native to eliminate the delay in changing channels?

Yes , Use the Component cables between the HR20-700, one set into your 1st TV and run a 2nd set out of the HR20-700 into the other TV. (Red, Green,Blue)

What is the model of the remote you were supplied with, I have a RC-24, that remote IS RF capable (thru the aset up menu) as is the RC32 I think is the model #, it's the newer one out now.

Jimbo

I got the 2nd TV to work. I used the blue/green/red connectors from the HR20-700 to my 2nd TV. That gave me the video signal. I had to connect red/white connectors for the audio signal. Does that sound right?

Back to the remote. I have the RC24 remote. I went into setup and tried changing it from IR to RF. It wouldn't take. My remote got stuck afterwards. I was able to see that it did change the configuration to RF when I manually got back into the menu settings from my TV menu selectors.

Any advice on how to get RF remote to work? D* told me that my unit is not equipped to support RF.

I got the 2nd TV to work. I used the blue/green/red connectors from the HR20-700 to my 2nd TV. That gave me the video signal. I had to connect red/white connectors for the audio signal. Does that sound right?

Back to the remote. I have the RC24 remote. I went into setup and tried changing it from IR to RF. It wouldn't take. My remote got stuck afterwards. I was able to see that it did change the configuration to RF when I manually got back into the menu settings from my TV menu selectors.

Any advice on how to get RF remote to work? D* told me that my unit is not equipped to support RF.
Your set up is correct.
As for your remote, I am not sure why it did not work, but I know it took some doing for me to get mine working the way I wanted it to, put that was because I wanted to have two remotes on the RF, I had some trouble doing this, but eventually did.

Give it another try, read EXACTLY what the screen is telling you, make sure you click on the ok buttonon the screen when it is there.

I find this remote very finicky when pushing the numbers on the remote.
They now say that they have a new (larger I guess) button remote RC-32

Jimbo

It looks like you may have gotten your 2nd TV working, which is great, but I'm not sure how you accomplished it with component video connections to both TVs, as the DVR has only one set of component outputs. If it turns out for some reason that you need a way to truly split the signal coming out of the DVR you can do so with a small $50 box. See my post at http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=85386.

The HR20-700 is equipped to support RF remote capabilities. Unlike other models there is no need for an external RF antenna on the back of the box. The antenna is internal. T he problem lies in your remote. I'm not sure of the model # but if your remote does not have the FCC sticker on the back its the wrong one. Call D* and if they play stupid again ask to speak to tech support level 2.

I neglected to say that I'm using the HDMI cable for my first TV and the component cables to the second TV. The component cables only provide the video feed and I still had to connect red/white for the audio output to the second TV.

My remote does have the FCC ID sticker on the back. I'll give D* a call today and ask for the level 2 tech support.

I neglected to say that I'm using the HDMI cable for my first TV and the component cables to the second TV. The component cables only provide the video feed and I still had to connect red/white for the audio output to the second TV.

My remote does have the FCC ID sticker on the back. I'll give D* a call today and ask for the level 2 tech support.

As I read this thread, I realized that what AslanLyle said is correct. That it does only have 1 Component out, then thought about using the HDMI and the Component outputs.
However it looks like you already figured it out, so, I am glad you figured it out and are good to go.

Good catch AslanLyle :)

Jimbo

What is the difference using rf or ir? How can I tell what type of remote I am using? I have an RC24

What is the difference using rf or ir? How can I tell what type of remote I am using? I have an RC24

Look in the menu for the remote setup. It's in there! Using the rf, the signal can pass through walls, but not with the ir.

I'm going by memory. The THREE replacement H20's they sent me had the RC32 remote. I sent them all back because they all sucked!

I see, if I had reviewed the previous post I would have found that the RC32 IS rf capable.

Ok raoul5788,
You've had 3 and don't like the new one at all, Did you like the 24 version, did you have trouble with them or just don't like the general design ?

I have never used a Harmony or other aftermarket remoes ...
What are other peoples opinions of it as well..... you had trouble with them or don't like the design ??????

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)