Need help on local HD channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Asdad3

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Went to antennaweb.org and found where all my local HD channels were. I have a couple of questions about my findings:

1) Currently, I have an indoor antenna hooked up and I am receiving a HD local channel that is 30.6 miles away. Why can't I receive a channel that is located less than 30 miles? Is it because of the direction of the antenna or signal?

2) What are some good OTA setups? Especially want to get the FOX channel since the Super Bowl is coming up. That signal is 28.8 miles from my house according to antennaweb.

3) Lastly, I antennaweb stated I needed a violet-uhf antenna to get my FOX channel from 28.8 miles away but yet it states I need blue one to get my ABC channel in HD which is located 30.6 miles away. Why the difference?

I appreciate all the help for this newbie!

Mark

The Fox station that's closer must be broadcasting at a much lower power than the further channel. What's your zip? I'll look at it further...

The primary thing is not signal level, it is the ratio of reflected signal strength vs. direct signal strength. Level itself is not an issue like it is with analog reception, as digital stations can be successfully extracted from beneath the noise floor. The reason stations are difficult to receive when far away is not because the signal gets weaker, it's because the curvature of the earth (and other obstructions) decreases the multipath ratio.

Line of sight and freedom from multipath is the key. A close station with lots of multipath reflections due to buildings or whatever will be difficult to pick up, while a station 30 miles away can be picked up perfectly using a paper clip, if there is no multipath.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)