Need help on New iPhone and Case

iPhone 5 covers from monoprice.com. Very inexpensive.
Hard to argue with under $5 .
I have tried many styles, and TPU is my second favorite kind!
Thermoplastic Poly Urethane (if I can spell)
It's a tough translucent shock-absorbing material (not soft nor springy)
Some cases like those at Monoprice have a hard outer shell.
TPU alone is fine (too) and provides a non-slip surface.

I won't recommend the silicone nor spongy rubber cases.
These are too soft and too grippy coming out of your pocket.

And of course, your mileage may vary. ;)

iphone 4

With cases and screen protectors they are fine in your pocket. In fact may owners of phones with gorilla glass claim no screen protector is necessary. Personally I don't like the belt clips. I never liked the Batman look.

I figure my right pocket would be far too bulky, with change, car key, and a packet of all my other keys. Of course, I carry a bulky wallet in my left front pocket, so would it really matter, other than stuff snagging and falling out when I pulled out my iPhone?

I've used a cheep rubber $0.99 cover from Monoprice the entire 3 years I have had my 3GS, dropped it several times and nothing has happened.

Two different times I had the phone go flying out of the holder with no protective case on the phone on my mountain bike survived fine. The first time I was doing about 45 mph down a dirt trail, the phone popped out of the case, went flying about 15 feet in front of me, and bounced/rolled down the hill another 100 ft. The second time I was hit by the car, the impact of the car caused the phone to fly out of its case, fly about 20 feet, hit the asphalt, and bounce another 5 feet. The phone is still working to this day with no cracks.

IMO, those cases are simply a waist of money.

You live a cleaner life than me. :D Don't waste it. ;)

I've used a cheep rubber $0.99 cover from Monoprice the entire 3 years I have had my 3GS, dropped it several times and nothing has happened.

Two different times I had the phone go flying out of the holder with no protective case on the phone on my mountain bike survived fine. The first time I was doing about 45 mph down a dirt trail, the phone popped out of the case, went flying about 15 feet in front of me, and bounced/rolled down the hill another 100 ft. The second time I was hit by the car, the impact of the car caused the phone to fly out of its case, fly about 20 feet, hit the asphalt, and bounce another 5 feet. The phone is still working to this day with no cracks.

IMO, those cases are simply a waist of money.

you have been lucky and all reports are that this thinner and lighter phone is more fragile-----especial;y the black one. Otterbox Defender may well be overkill and defeats the purpose of buying a sleek light device but a screen protector and a decent case are cheap insurance.

Geronimo said:
you have been lucky and all reports are that this thinner and lighter phone is more fragile-----especial;y the black one. Otterbox Defender may well be overkill and defeats the purpose of buying a sleek light device but a screen protector and a decent case are cheap insurance.

That's not true. I have posted this link in the iPhone 5 announcement thread as well. If you don't want to watch the videos the conclusion is that the iPhone 5 is much more durable than older iPhones and the Samsung galaxy s3. http://www.imore.com/iphone-5-can-really-take-fall

I just got my iPhone 5 yesterday and I am trying to decide what to do about the case. The new iPhone is so slick and thin that I would hate to cover it with a bulky case. I think I will carry it naked for awhile (with the dark edges and the aluminum back it doesn't look that naked any more) and I will wait for some nice bumpers to come out. I just need to remember not to put it in the same pocket with the keys!

Sent from my iPhone5 using SatelliteGuys

I just got my iPhone 5 yesterday and I am trying to decide what to do about the case. The new iPhone is so slick and thin that I would hate to cover it with a bulky case. I think I will carry it naked for awhile (with the dark edges and the aluminum back it doesn't look that naked any more) and I will wait for some nice bumpers to come out. I just need to remember not to put it in the same pocket with the keys!

Sent from my iPhone5 using SatelliteGuys
Those around you may want you to cover yourself.:eek:

That's not true. I have posted this link in the iPhone 5 announcement thread as well. If you don't want to watch the videos the conclusion is that the iPhone 5 is much more durable than older iPhones and the Samsung galaxy s3. http://www.imore.com/iphone-5-can-really-take-fall

Well it certainly seems to be a matter for debate. Forbes, for one has published articles claming it is fragile and susceptible to scratches-----and since the question here is whether you need a case I think that is an issue.

BTW I think a case isa good idea with just about any smartphone.

Geronimo said:
Well it certainly seems to be a matter for debate. Forbes, for one has published articles claming it is fragile and susceptible to scratches-----and since the question here is whether you need a case I think that is an issue.

BTW I think a case isa good idea with just about any smartphone.

I'm waiting for my back ordered otterbox commuter case to ship as well. I just don't think anyone could say these phones are fragile after watching videos of them being dropped repeatedly with little damage. By the way, the first video saying that the iPhone 5 is much more durable than the galaxy is from an android blog. The second video shows keys being scratched across the screen intentionally with no scratching.

The only real damage occurring is cosmetic. All anyone seems to be seeing is scratching on the aluminum backing or sides. I will be using a case to protect against these cosmetic damages but the bottom line is that these phones can take a beating without any real damage.

Edit: One more thing. I have been using my black iPhone 5 for almost a week now with no case. I have been keeping it in my pocket like I normally would and putting it on my dash while I drive and listen to podcasts. I have zero scratching on mine of any kind. I do believe it is possible to scratch the aluminum backing but I think the problem is a little exaggerated so far.

Edit 2: I'm not saying don't get a case if you want your phone to look brand new in a year or 2. I just think you are safe without one this time if you don't want it. The iPhone 4 and 4S were known to break with the glass backing. That doesn't appear to be the case with the iPhone 5.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for my back ordered otterbox commuter case to ship as well. I just don't think anyone could say these phones are fragile after watching videos of them being dropped repeatedly with little damage. By the way, the first video saying that the iPhone 5 is much more durable than the galaxy is from an android blog. The second video shows keys being scratched across the screen intentionally with no scratching.

The only real damage occurring is cosmetic. All anyone seems to be seeing is scratching on the aluminum backing or sides. I will be using a case to protect against these cosmetic damages but the bottom line is that these phones can take a beating without any real damage.

Edit: One more thing. I have been using my black iPhone 5 for almost a week now with no case. I have been keeping it in my pocket like I normally would and putting it on my dash while I drive and listen to podcasts. I have zero scratching on mine of any kind. I do believe it is possible to scratch the aluminum backing but I think the problem is a little exaggerated so far.

Edit 2: I'm not saying don't get a case if you want your phone to look brand new in a year or 2. I just think you are safe without one this time if you don't want it. The iPhone 4 and 4S were known to break with the glass backing. That doesn't appear to be the case with the iPhone 5.

I guess you have seen one thing in the videos and I have read something else in articles. :Let's just agree to disagree. But I still think a case is advisable whether we are talking about drops or pocket damage. But again everyone is free to do what they want.

The iPhone 5 Otterbox Defender case I ordered on Tuesday arrived. No idea when my iPhone 5 will arrive.

Got a defender case today...I think the wife likes it so far.

I have a defender case for my 4S. I don't like that it lets in dirt and once a month I have to take it apart to clean it. I'm on my second outer cover in a year and its cracking again. It is stretched out at the bottom too.

ke4est said:
Just got the wife a iPhone 4s. I have never had an iPhone. My question is this: Is the otter boxes worth the extra money? I have been reading reviews and not seeing a lot of good ones and this is at the otterbox site. So should I go with an otterbox or does someone else have a good recommendation?

Is she going to beat up the phone? If not it is overkill. On the iPhone 5 the otter box probably doubles the weight of the phone. I had a soft Belkin case on the 4S and apple care +. All I needed.

The iPhone 5 Otterbox Defender case I ordered on Tuesday arrived. No idea when my iPhone 5 will arrive.

When the phone comes, weigh the otter box and then weigh the phone, From looking at them in the AT&T store yesterday it sure looked like it was as heavy as the phone. Mostly curious.

I love my case from ZooGue. They are free (with promo code "FreeZooGueAccessory"), you just have to pay shipping and handling. They have many colors to choose from. I like that they have a some texture on the sides so the phone won't slip out of your hands. The only negitive I see, is the plastic is not smooth, so it starts showing dirt especially on the lighter colors. I highly recommend them. For $3.50, you can't go wrong. Make sure you find the promo code section. It can be a little hard to find :)

After looking at ZooGue.com again, I guess you can't get the iPhone 4 case for free any more. But they are now $9.99 with free shipping. Still well worth it.

An even bigger waste of money than the expensive huge cases is AppleCare and AppleCare+, or extended warranties in general.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/why_you_still_shouldnt_care_about_applecare/

I would highly advice against wasting money on extended warranties, particularly AppleCare or AppleCare+ for mobile devices.

Disagree entirely. Apple Care + includes the ability the replace the device if you break it. It is a damage replacement plan. And it is worth it for that alone. Is it expensive? Yes. But cheaper than the plans that Verizon and Best Buy offers by far.

And as that article points out:

"Except for AppleCare+ for iPhone, AppleCare does not cover any damage due to “accidents.” So if you damage your iPad by dropping it or spilling water on it, you’re not covered even with AppleCare. You also aren’t covered for loss or theft under any circumstances."

It also covers a depleted battery.

AppleCare+ is well worth it to me, and by having it, I don't worry about a huge case, or a screen protector.

When the phone comes, weigh the otter box and then weigh the phone, From looking at them in the AT&T store yesterday it sure looked like it was as heavy as the phone. Mostly curious.

Will do. Might go weigh case now on scale at work.