Need Help Please

adamwilkes20

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
For all you experts out there, here is my question:

I have a Philips DLP 50" HDTV with Pixel Plus, it supports 1280x720P 60Hz..now my VIP622 and XBOX 360 are all set to 1080i. With that being said, my DLP recognizes the 1080i inputs on both sources, but is the TV actually downconverting the signal on both sources to 720P? If so, am I loosing any PQ? I tried looking for a difference but I really cant tell any...should I set both sources to 720P?

You're fine. Nobody(except Bob at imageperfection) can tell the difference between 1080i and 720P on a 50 inch set. I can't tell the difference on my 62" DLP, and I hook up Hd's almost every day.

If somebody says they can see a difference, it's probably in their head.

okay thanks alot iwannarock1, I just didnt know if I was hurting the set or loosing PQ and I just wasnt noticing it.

For all you experts out there, here is my question:

I have a Philips DLP 50" HDTV with Pixel Plus, it supports 1280x720P 60Hz..now my VIP622 and XBOX 360 are all set to 1080i. With that being said, my DLP recognizes the 1080i inputs on both sources, but is the TV actually downconverting the signal on both sources to 720P? If so, am I loosing any PQ? I tried looking for a difference but I really cant tell any...should I set both sources to 720P?

Best results would be to set the sources to the native resolution of the TV. Doing that should prevent a double conversion. Consider an SD feed on your satellite. The 622 will convert this to 1080i. The TV will then convert the 1080i to 720 for display.

So yes, technically you are loosing something in the process especially if the source starts in 720p. You won't "hurt" anything and the differences may be hard to see.

I have a Samsung 46" DLP (1280x720) and ended up setting my 622 to 720p because my Sammy gives me 4 aspect ratios (Picture Sizes) when i have the 622 set to 720p...(4:3, Wide, Expand and PC).

With the 622 set to 1080i, the Sammy only gives me 4:3 and Wide. I find the Sammy Expand to be the best...as it fits the entire 7 rows of the E* EPG on the screen without cutting the 7th row in half. The Sammy PC picture size option is interesting, but causes a few issues with overscan, so i'm not using it.

Cant really say i notice much else of a difference in the picture/motion of 720p vs 1080i.

Guess my point is that with a 720p native TV like mine, setting the 622 to 720p increases the amount of the viewable 'picture' onto the screen for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)