Need help pointing Dish

yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
My dad moved his Dish from his chimney to a pole. We are getting 110 at about 60 signal strength, but nothing on 119 or 129. The Dish has 3 LNB's.

We have moved to the correct elevation but we cannot move it to the correct skew, the bolts are in the way.

We are in zip 80920, with an azimuth 0f 184, elevation 44, and skew of 102.

Any pointers (pun intended) on getting all the satellites?

I put my own in 13 years ago and don't remember a thing......

Also, what transponders should we be checking for each satellite for signal strength????

My guess is that you are getting the 110 satellite on the wrong LNBF. Cover up the LNBs until your signal drops so you'll know which one it is receiving 110 on.

If you can't set the skew properly then you are going to have an issue for sure. If you don't get the skew right you'll never get the other two satellites.

Is this the same dish that you were using on these receivers before? If not make sure to run a check switch so that the receiver recognizes what it is connected to.

Yes, same dish. Ran a check switch and it says 110, and 129., though I show no signal strength for 129.

The bolts in the skew channel will not allow the dish to skew to 102 or lower than 110........

How was it skewed before? The skew shouldn't have changed.

Skew setting should have been left alone. You are also pointed too far east, try starting to point the dish from the far west and turn it east and you should get it then.:up

Elevation wrong

Skew setting should have been left alone. You are also pointed too far east, try starting to point the dish from the far west and turn it east and you should get it then.:up

If you are getting 110 on the 119 LNB section then you have the elevation wrong. There is almost 3.5 degrees different elevation between the two. The 119 center LNB should be an elevation of about 48.8 according to dish pointing chart. Here is a link to the page for the 1000.2 dish. Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com Put your info in and it will help you get the right angles for you location.

Same issue

I've been putting together my own Dish Network setup at my house, everything is in place with Dish 500, and DishPro LNB for 110/119 sats, I get a solid green lock on 110 sat about 75% on the DVR501 receiver but nothing comes in on 119, my question is I'm using a DP21 switch, is this causing me not to get anything on the 119 side. Can I use this switch with the DishPro twin LNB, or do I have to use a specific switch, 34, or the 44 switch. I'm located at 95843 zip code.

One other question, I noticed the plastic housing for the DishPro LNB indicates 119/110, with my dish pointed South, shouldn't the housing read 110/119 in that order, I thought Satellites in the Clark belt go up in order from east to west.

Thanks

One other question, I noticed the plastic housing for the DishPro LNB indicates 119/110, with my dish pointed South, shouldn't the housing read 110/119 in that order, I thought Satellites in the Clark belt go up in order from east to west.

The orbital longitude does go from east to west, but the LNBs are in the reverse order since they're looking at a reflection of the satellites.

dp 21 switch

If you are using a dish pro twin LNB do not use the dp21 switch. You would use that if you had two seperate duel LNB's on your 500 dish to combine both the signals from the two and put them down one line. standing behind the dish looking at the direction its pointing 119 to the left and 110 to the right. Do you have any friends that install or know someone you may be able to talk to? I recomend you just buy a Dish Pro Plus twin LNB they are cheap and less problems with them. the switch is built in so you also have less connections. I know in wisconsin they run about 30 dollars new out of my shop. or if you talk to a tech in your area. How do i say this we have ways of getting spare LNB's and some would concider selling to you at a little bit of a cheaper price.

reverse to what you are thinking

I've been putting together my own Dish Network setup at my house, everything is in place with Dish 500, and DishPro LNB for 110/119 sats, I get a solid green lock on 110 sat about 75% on the DVR501 receiver but nothing comes in on 119, my question is I'm using a DP21 switch, is this causing me not to get anything on the 119 side. Can I use this switch with the DishPro twin LNB, or do I have to use a specific switch, 34, or the 44 switch. I'm located at 95843 zip code.

Thanks

The sats are looked at in reverse to what they are in the sky. They bounce off the dish 110 is the left side of the LNB from the back as it bounces to the center then to the sat. They basically cross over from left to right for 110 & right to left for 119. Use this site for pointing angles for the dish from your location: Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

my question is I'm using a DP21 switch, is this causing me not to get anything on the 119 side. Can I use this switch with the DishPro twin LNB, or do I have to use a specific switch, 34, or the 44 switch. I'm located at 95843 zip code.

Do not use the switch with the DP Twin. The Twin LNB has a switch already built inside of it.

Yes but the lnb see's it as reverse.

Thanks again

My LNB is the DPP, the one that’s just 119/110, so don't use the DP21 switch?? Do I have to use a small piece of coax to connect the two if they have a built in switch. I don’t remember, it's been awhile since I opened the housing. My neighbor gave me the dish since he switched to Direct, if I remember correctly I think he had two runs of coax coming from the dish, I'll have to check where it terminates at tonight, I believe it was short run right into his wall to the TV. My cable run from the dish to the side of the house is about 75ft, not including inside the house coax. I'm going to be sharing the run with a FTA setup I already have going, and OTA. I Have diplex switch in use with the OTA, and FTA run.

The DP21 will not work with a DPP Twin since the DPP has a built in switch already and will cause conflicts if both are used. DP does not understand DPP technology as well. All you need is coax running from the dish to the receiver, I'd ground it as well.

Thanks again I'm Locked in

Hey guys, thanks again, was able to get outside today before rain out here in NorCal, I guess I have the older DPP LNB with the just the two coax outs, one for 110 and the other for 119 Sats.

I removed the housing just to make sure. I ended up just using the Dish separator, then into my Dish receiver, I had to point the dish just a tad bit up and out west just a tad bit, I was able to lock 110 at 75% and 119 at 50%, but I get a solid green lock, I have some questionable 30 foot skinny pine trees almost in the line of sight. But I think I have enough clearance.

Just one more thing, what number should I call at Dish to get a basic subscription, what should I tell them, I know their going to want to sell me more receivers and packages, just need the cheapest basic channel line up. I’m getting locals over the air just fine. Can I get a subscription from them without a contract commitment.???

thanks