Need help preventing overheating in 722

fatmikla22

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
I just had a 722 installed and my only concern is overheating . I have the 722 on a shelf a couple of inches above the DVD player and a couple of inches below the TV. It has a few inches of space all around. The front of the cabinet has a glass door and the back had cardboard that has been cut out. I guess I want to know what a good average temp for the unit is. I've heard a few people mention raisingg the unit a little for air flow, whats the best way to do that. I really like the 722 and dont want anything to happen to it. I guess at worst if it overheats to the point of not working they would send a new unit, but Id rather not get to that. Please help. Thanks.

The inlet and outlet vents are on the *side* of these units, so space there is most critical. You likely have little to no airflow inside your cabinet though.

Many people, myself included, use (used) "laptop coolers". Those aren't made for 24/7 operation though. Mine got too noisy after a little over a year and I threw it out.

If I were to remove all carboard in back and remove the door in front, do you think that would help air flow.

Also would raisng the dvr help at all. If so what would be a good method of raisng it, pop bottle caps, styrofaom, etc.?

If I were to remove all carboard in back and remove the door in front, do you think that would help air flow.

I don't think these ideas would work all that well as the vents are located along both sides of the unit, not the front of the back. Laptop coolers tend to work well as they tend to cool the receiver housing and keep the temp inside the unit lower.

Several years back I found out in a short time with our 522 that it overheated(hear the fan kick on). Now since my electronics are high and away from the hands of children I simply removed the cover and placed it in the closet. The fan never kicked on from the point out for the 3-4 years we had it in service till we upgraded to the 722 which I also pulled cover on and put away.

To keep dust accumulation to a minimum I blow out the interior with Dust off once a month,usually the same day I dust off the computer interiors out.Sounds like a cheezy/jerry rig way to do things but hey it works for us.;):up

fatmikla22. What's your avarage temp? You may not even have an overheating problem. As for raising it I put a roll of electrical tape under each corner. It raises it 1" and looks like it came from the factory that way. You know like some DVD players and stereo receivers have those "feet" under them. Like that. The avg. temp went down 2º to 109º which I think is pretty good.
Oh, and I had one of the laptop coolers for about 8 months too. It got real noisy and I took it apart, cleaned the dust out and oiled the motors and it lasted another 3 and finally gave up. I think I got my $15 worth out of it before I threw it away.

I checked the temp at lunch and my average temp is 109 so I think for right know I'm ok. Thanks.

As for raising it I put a roll of electrical tape under each corner. It raises it 1" and looks like it came from the factory that way. You know like some DVD players and stereo receivers have those "feet" under them.
You can buy those "feet", possibly in the hardware aisle at Lowes or Home Depot. They have all those drawers with different stuff like that... Parts Express is local to me and I bought those feet there and did exactly what you did with your electrical tape. Problem with your tape is if it gets hot enough under there, that tape may get "mushy". Have you checked it ?

I bought these, or similar ones, Parts Express:penn-Elcom F1633 Rubber Cabinet Foot 1-1/8" Dia. x 1/2" H, for $.75/ea.

I never even thought about looking for those in a store. I'll check out Lowes the next time I'm in there. I was just looking through stuff in my garage trying to come up with an idea and had a box of electrical tape that did the job. They have a plastic core so they can't collapse.

Several years back I found out in a short time with our 522 that it overheated(hear the fan kick on). Now since my electronics are high and away from the hands of children I simply removed the cover and placed it in the closet. The fan never kicked on from the point out for the 3-4 years we had it in service till we upgraded to the 722 which I also pulled cover on and put away.

To keep dust accumulation to a minimum I blow out the interior with Dust off once a month,usually the same day I dust off the computer interiors out.Sounds like a cheezy/jerry rig way to do things but hey it works for us.;):up
Same thing I'm doing. As long as there are no kids around or any way for hands, pets, other objects to get inside it works best without the top cover.

At the very, very least if stuck one of those table top fans close to the back of the unit facing towrs the wall, could that potentially cool it a couple of degrees or so. My current avg. temp is 114.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)