Need Help re Wiring for Actuator Reed Sensor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
I've been trying to get my new V-Box III to run my 12 Foot Dish Actuator with no success. The confusing part is there are ONLY 2 connections for the Sensor, that is there are 4 connections in all: 2 for Motor + and Motor - for the 36 VDC, But re the Reed Sensor I have 3 wires:

B for 12 VDC,
SEN for Sensor Return, and
GND for Sensor Ground

There are ONLY 2 connections on the Back of the V-Box III for the Reed Sensor!! What ones should I use? Its confusing because in the V-Box III manual in one place for the Sensor it says to use Pulse and Ground for the Reed Sensor,and on the next page it says to wire up: Sensor - and Sensor + for the Terminals on the Back of the V-Box III. Can anyone please let me know what connections I should wire to the back of the V-Box for Sensor Control?

If I understand correctly, your actuator has 5 wires:

2 for the motor
3 for the actuator

As a process of elimination, and to avoid blowing anything up, I would connect the Sensor Return and Sensor Ground to the rcvr.

hth!

the big wires red & white are usually m1 & m2 and can be reversed if the dish moves the wrong way.

depending on the actuator for the smaller wires
mine is set orange top and green on bottom
the box should count when moving

depending on the actuator for the smaller wires mine is set orange top and green on bottom the box should count when moving
Gabshere is correct.

Your wires may vary in color, but if have Brown and Blue connect the Brown on the top and the Blue on the bottom for the sensor.

Fred

Guys the problem is the 3rd wire on my Actuator for the 12 VDC Sensor Power. That is, in the Uniden 9900 Instruction Manual it says I need 3 connections for Sensor control. The V-Box III only has 2 connections for Sensor Control. The wiring for my setup is: B 12 VDC Sensor Power, SEN for Sensor Return, and Sensor Ground. I am told I may need to get a new 4 Wire Actuator instead of the 5 wire optic?? unit I now have to run the V-Box III. Or maybe get the Uniden 9900P Power Supply to send out the 12 VDC Sensor Power via one Orange wire and ground, then run the other 4 wires to the V-Box?? Any replies would be appreciated.

what motor is it. does it have a name on it
my von wiese is like that ( optic sensor). the v-box will move it but i didn't hook up the three wire side ( and it won't count or be able to position using disqec 1.2 ). I suspect like you've already mentioned that the v-box is for a reed sensor type motor and not the optic sensor type. I planned on replacing my actuator on that dish.

if you decide to get a new actuator get a Heavy Duty one ( cause of your dish size). and make sure it supports 36 volts. some are 24 volts 30 volts & 36 volts. You might can locate a use one locally it would need to be the reed switch version.

Last edited:
what motor is it. does it have a name on it
my von wiese is like that ( optic sensor). the v-box will move it but i didn't hook up the three wire side ( and it won't count or be able to position using disqec 1.2 ). I suspect like you've already mentioned that the v-box is for a reed sensor type motor and not the optic sensor type. I planned on replacing my actuator on that dish.

if you decide to get a new actuator get a Heavy Duty one ( cause of your dish size). and make sure it supports 36 volts. some are 24 volts 30 volts & 36 volts. You might can locate a use one locally it would need to be the reed switch version.

Thanks gabshere, its a Von Weise Actuator Model # V00099BE76, 36 VDC, 2.75 Amp, 1/15 Hp, 19:1 Ratio - Von Weise W Gear Co. St Clair, Missouri. I have tried various combinations of the wiring on the V-Box III but it will NOT work likely because of that extra wire that I don't know what to do with.

Someone suggested this is an Optic Sensor that is 5 wires, and I would need a Kit to go 5 wire to 4 wire, or and that I would need to externally power the 5 VDC, BUT this setup does NOT have 5 VDC - it has 12 VDC for Sensor Power!! The wiring at the Motor is: Orange - Positive, Brown - Out, Grey - Ground, and Red and Black for + and - 36 VDC.

Using the Uniden 9900P and the V-Box III for Sensor Powering the Actuator
I may try the Uniden 9900P Power Supply to power the +12VDC externally, then connect the other 2 Sensor Wires - Brown and Grey to the V-Box III, as well as the 36 VDC Power wires to the V Box. Wonder if that will work??

Brown - Out, Grey - Ground
Give this a try.

Take the Vbox out to the dish, and run a brown wire from the gray on the terminal block to the top left of the vbox, and a blue wire from the brown on the terminal to the lower left on the vbox. Run the black and red to the m1 and m2.

Then just try the vbox remote to see if it will move it.

It should work fine.

Fred

maybe i can bring my von weise inside tomorrow and do some test :) its being a problem child anyway :( , kinda wants to only extend 1/2 way. so it wouldn't be a big loss if i fried the sensor.

my plan was going to be replace it with a HD 24 inch anyway.

Give this a try.

Take the Vbox out to the dish, and run a brown wire from the gray on the terminal block to the top left of the vbox, and a blue wire from the brown on the terminal to the lower left on the vbox. Run the black and red to the m1 and m2.

Then just try the vbox remote to see if it will move it.

It should work fine.

Fred

Thanks for the suggestion Fred, I have already tried that combination inside the House via the Ribbon Cable to the Actuator and then to the V - Box and it didn't work. Actually the Sat Receiver via DISEqC 1.2 is sending the commands thru the V - Box but the Dish just isn't moving. I think it needs that + 12 VDC Sensor Power Command which I can wire up to the Uniden 9900 Receiver Power Supply.

Up here its snowing and -20 degrees which is a bit too cold on the fingers to be opening up the Actuator and rubber gromet and gasket seal outside in the backyard right now. Maybe if it gets warmer I can try it, but the really warm days could be 4 months from now.

maybe i can bring my von weise inside tomorrow and do some test :) its being a problem child anyway :( , kinda wants to only extend 1/2 way. so it wouldn't be a big loss if i fried the sensor.

my plan was going to be replace it with a HD 24 inch anyway.

George if your Actuator is a 5 wire unit it would be interesting to know how it is wired if it works with your V-Box unit.

Well I've reached a dead end with my 5 wire Actuator and trying to control it from the V-Box III. Tried every combination of wiring I can think of, and I can get the V-Box to respond to commands from the Receiver - but the Dish simply will NOT Move. Yet I can move the Dish and Actuator East and West with my + 12 VDC Battery Charger.

Guess I'll look into ordering and prices on a new 4 wire one. I think a local supplier has a Heavy Duty Von Weise one for approx $190.00, anyone have any ideas where a good deal can be gotten for an Actuator for a 12 Foot Mesh Dish? Would a 24 or 36 Volt unit be needed for the 12 Footer?

the v-box does 36 volts so try to get that.
the prices on a HD moteck would be cheaper but shipping is another probem
so loaclly might be the best bet

I thought I'd post that I just hooked up a 5 wire Von Weise with Orange (positive), Brown (out), gray (ground) and motor 1 and 2 to a Gbox with only four connectors, sensor+, sensor- and m1 & m2 (motor 1 and 2). I put the brown to sensor positive and gray to sensor negative on the Gbox.

I used a Motorola 5v 550ma phone charger to power the optical sensor by hooking the +5 to the orange positive and -5 to the gray ground.

So on the Gbox:
Brown=Sensor+
Gray=Sensor- & -5 from the power supply.
Then put +5 on the orange wire and use the gray for ground of the power supply, what ever you use. It counts and seems to be ok returning to whatever satellite you select after programming in a few. I unhooked the +5 and it gives me an E-2 (error) so it must need that 5 volts. I hope that helps someone and I think the OP must have had a bad sensor or never tried applying +5 to the orange positive wire.
DO NOT HOOK THE ORANGE TO THE 36v POSITIVE MOTOR WIRE, it'll burn out your sensor!

Yeah, I saw the post attached to a 9 year old thread, but thought well it is in the right place and does not need to be moved to its own thread.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)