Need help set up fta dish for 97 w in Palmer, Alaska.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tooj

Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
AK
Hello I'm a newbie to fta. I got a DIRECTV WorldDirecT 36" Elliptical Dish set up propertly but can't get fta signal for 97 w. Also, I was informed that a 4 foot dish is needed to get fta in Alaska. I wonder if someon out there can help. below are my dish set up info.

Address: 99645
Latitude: 62.2178°
Longitude: -148.1978°
Satellite: 97.0W Galaxy 19
Elevation: 8.4°
Azimuth (true): 125.4°
Azimuth (magn.): 105.0°

Thanks alot for everyone who is helping out.

36" might work but according to Lyngsat you should be using at least a 1m. also with only an 8 degree elevation you want to make sure there is absolutely nothing blocking the line of site between you and the satellite.

Welcome Tooj, you are the first Alaskan I can recall on the fta forum. Hope you can get some other opinions on your location, I believe that you will need a bigger dish, and definitely that good line of sight. A satellite footprint map of Galaxy 19 might help, I'll see if I can locate one.
edit: Here's a link to intelsat's coverage maps, if you can figure out how to make the pic big enough to read, I couldn't read the numbers:
http://www.intelsat.com/network/satellite/

Just pick your sat - you're in the coverage area, just can't see the #@! numbers. Go for the biggest KU dish you can find is my advice.

Here is the location of the footprint map from lyngsat.

Galaxy 19 at 97.0°W - LyngSat Maps

It might be possible to receive some of the stronger transponders. You will need a linear LNB. What kind of LNB and receiver do you have? Hopefully your receiver has the blind scan feature.

Thanks alot for all of your expertises. I'm thinking about getting a 4 foot dish, but where I live there is a large mountain stands aproximately 25 miles away from my house. I wonder if it is worth getting the 4 foot dish. Also, a foot dish will get c or ku band? I already got a linear lnb, but with a 4 foot dish, what lnb should I need? Thanks alot.

I live at Hatcher Pass in Palmer.

Hi TOOJ
:welcome to the site.

It seems your LOS is blocked by the mountains to the East of your location. The dish elevation is very low and I am afraid it won't work.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 206
Again, thanks alot for helping out. I finally spot a 6 foot dish for sale. The guy told me it works with dish services althought the mountain is blocking the dish. I wonder if the 6 foot dish will work with 97 w. Thanks alot for your expertise.

Again, thanks alot for helping out. I finally spot a 6 foot dish for sale. The guy told me it works with dish services althought the mountain is blocking the dish. I wonder if the 6 foot dish will work with 97 w. Thanks alot for your expertise.

Unfortunately, this person is not correct. No matter what size of dish is used, satellite signals will not pass through mountains, trees, buildings, etc.

You will receive 97W if you have a 1M dish or larger and a clear line of sight to the satellite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)