Need Help Setting up my Portable Directv Satellite for Tailgates.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks everyone for chiming in!! Another lesson learned: I will not spend HOURS trouble shooting the inability to get a signal again. Just call DirectV! I think I have the dish alignment down just fine.

I'm glad you got it fixed. I'm guessing it was the elevation that you couldn't adjust that was the culprit. It's hard to believe someone would tighten them so much that they couldn't be loosened.

Reactions: SoNCSU95
So again, a Directv technician came out, looked at my setup and said “oh you’ve got it set up correctly”... but he could not lock into a signal, either. Could not find any explanation for its. Did feel the tightly locked-in elevation was a couple degrees off but he couldn’t loosen those dang bolts either! Ended up rebuilding a dish set up, used the same LNB and all was golden! Not sure what is going on, but after having the previous dish damaged (slight dent in the rim) I was extra careful with this last one.

DirectV guy’s wife is an NC State fan so I’ve invited them to our next big tailgate against Clemson. We’ll be covered with text support, LOL! Dude also hooked me up with a stubby mount which is interchangeable with the hook mount I had purchased, and he finished my drilling and mount set up! I hate the tripod!

I’m going to move it all around my yard and driveway to test getting the signal multiple times.

Learned something new: low signals (we tested at 54% on the 101) will get you SD channels, as long as setting is such that SD channels aren’t hidden.

View attachment 128603
And the weather is good with no obstructions.

It sounds like your issue you had figured out right away, but couldn't resolve with the overly tightened connection on the dish.

Changed to a new dish and your golden, had you been able to change your setting on the one you had, you would have been good as well !

Its a fun hobby, as long as you have patience and time to play.

You have a good idea (which I tell anyone that is doing this for the first time for tailgating) set it up and tear it down COMPLETELY at home multiple times ... If you leave the settings as they are when at home and set up, your probably gonna be fine, unless your going a long aways from where you live.

However, you will learn more if you tear it down all the way ...

Why don’t you get an 18 Dish and Legacy LNB and settle for SD.

IT would be way easier without the proper meter to align.

I don’t even like aligning a slimline dish without a $500 aim meter
He was also talking about the KIng Quest earlier ...
That would be the simplest way to do it.

Do you still have any available ?

I asked the Tech about the smaller round dish, more so for ease of moving it around. He implied they weren’t even available anymore. I see old ones out there on older homes. He says a lot of people don’t care to update. I didn’t know they’d be easier for finding a signal.

Is that why the king quest can only get SD directv? I assume it’s a small dish inside that thing???

But with at least the Ku band SD feeds scheduled to go away sometime in '19.

He may as well start now getting use to toting around and aligning the Slimline I guess.

Reactions: SoNCSU95

He may as well start now getting use to toting around and aligning the Slimline I guess.
Lets hope that option gets pushed back ....
I hate to think I bought a automatic dish and can only use it for a few years.

He was also talking about the KIng Quest earlier ...
That would be the simplest way to do it.

Do you still have any available ?

I can get them but not at the fantastic $399 price I had last year. I had to buy 50 to get that price and they sold so fast the distributor won’t let them go that low again.

I literally got $100 off distributor cost last year.

Wish they would price the Directv tailgater like the dish version.

Reactions: Jimbo

There is no issue. They will replace them with HD MPEG 4 8psk feeds.

So likely if your getting SD on a tailgater today you will get HD FEEDS.

I can only imagine Directv would put the more popular HD channels on 101 KU as there are less issues with rain fade since everyone who gets KA signals can get KU SIGNALS.

I doubt Directv is going to leave a 32 transponder ku Band satellite which is prime real estate empty or let dish take it over.

Things can only get better as SD goes away. Not worse.

First they got to give all SD customers new equipment. Then going to all mpeg4 8psk just means more channels to offer.

I bet they put conus HD AT 101, and use 99/103 for locals and 4k.

Most important channels to 101

Now just wish they would do something with 110. Its such a waste but better not to give Dish those last 3 remaining transponders at 110

Reactions: Jimbo

I can only imagine Directv would put the more popular HD channels on 101 KU as there are less issues with rain fade since everyone who gets KA signals can get KU SIGNALS.

I doubt Directv is going to leave a 32 transponder ku Band satellite which is prime real estate empty or let dish take it over.

First they got to give all SD customers new equipment. Then going to all mpeg4 8psk just means more channels to offer.

Now just wish they would do something with 110. Its such a waste but better not to give Dish those last 3 remaining transponders at 110
Yeah, that's one theory which has been bandied about of moving the most popular HD channels to the Ku band at 101W and use 8-PSK modulation.

But there are still several questions about the viability of this plan.

To start with there's no evidence the current satellites at 101W, T4S, and T9S (using AT&T's new naming, ... yuk! ...) can be configured to convert their 6 spotbeam channels to CONUS ones so all 32 DBS channels at 101W may be used for national coverage instead of the current number 26.

And even if DIRECTV can use all 32 tps. Based on the (only) present example of A3 HD programs with 8-PSK on the Ku band of 4 channels (on tp. 24 at 119W) per tp. That's a capacity of just 128 HD channels.

Well the current numbers now are at ~250 HD channels. And there is still the question of what to do with the ~150 MPEG-2 SD CONUS channels today without HD versions.

Thus there are still significant uncertainties as to what DIRECTV intends for the DBS Ku band at 101, 110, and 119W by '19. So I think it would be best for the OP and others who regularly do tailgating/camping setups, to start now getting accustomed to hauling around and aligning the Slimline.

Reactions: harshness
I asked the Tech about the smaller round dish, more so for ease of moving it around. He implied they weren’t even available anymore. I see old ones out there on older homes. He says a lot of people don’t care to update. I didn’t know they’d be easier for finding a signal.

Is that why the king quest can only get SD directv? I assume it’s a small dish inside that thing???

A 101/110/119 "oval" dish is a better choice. It's not "official" but is 10000000x easier to aim than a slimline, and "good enough" for tailgating.

So .... because the King Quest only sees the 101 (which is SD) is the only reason we can't get HD on that unit ?
So if they do move the HD channels to the 101, the KQ will give you HD ?
Is that what your saying ?

If so, that would be great as the KQ wouldn't become a door stop.

It remains to be seen if they put HD channels on 101, it is quite possible they do but I wouldn't assume that's certain. I also wouldn't assume they keep using 119. The only thing I feel certain about is that they will drop 110, because D5 is reaching end of life and it isn't worth replacing that satellite for only three measley transponders. Even if they drop 110/119 I think it would be five years before Dish can petition the FCC to take over those transponders, plus there's a long standing (and AFAIK still unresolved) dispute over reverse band at 103 with a Canadian company called Ciel that Dish is involved with that may figure into this. They would happily drop 119 if that's the price of keeping reverse band at 103.

They can't do what you're suggesting, and put all HD channels on 101. They won't come close to fitting unless they compress them as much as Dish does with their 'HD lite', and why would Directv want to trade their advantage of superior image quality? What's the point of leaving Ka band at 99/103 free? You're dreaming if you think they will need that room for 4K - we'll be damn lucky to EVER see enough 4K channels to fill up the 50 or so that will fit in the 36 reverse band transponders!

The big question is, what does Directv want to do about people in RVs and boats with built in dishes that only receive 101, especially those who paid thousands for in motion dishes? You can't upgrade those to Slimline, and in fact you can't even buy a tracking Slimline for an RV any price. You can for a boat, but they cost $20,000!

Here are the options as I see them:

1) If keeping 119:
1a) Carry as much HD as possible on 101 (maybe 150 channels or so) and carry international channels @ 95, and SD only channels @ 101/119 in MPEG4 SD on 119. 101 only dishes get a lot fewer channels than today, but at least they're all in HD.
1b) Carry a lot of HD on 101 (maybe 100 channels or so) but instead of 1a any channel currently carried on 101 is still carried on 101 in either HD or MPEG4 SD. 101 only dishes get exactly the same set of channels they do today, with the most popular ones in HD.
1c) Carry MPEG4 SD duplicates of EVERYTHING on 101: all MPEG2 SD channels @ 101, 95, and 119, plus all MPEG4 SD only channels @ 99/103 are carried in MPEG4 SD on 101. They'd find something useful to do with 119 to keep it out of Dish's hands - maybe carry all the HD west coast feeds of channels that have them, since 119 is easier to receive out west and they're the ones most likely to want that, but if they had no LOS to 119 it wouldn't be a show stopper.

2) If dropping 119:
2a) Same as 1a, but everything moving from 95/101/119 is carried on 99/103 instead of 119
2b) Same as 1b, but everything moving from 95/119 is carried on 99/103 of 119
2c) Same as 1c, but they wouldn't have to come up with a use for 119

If I had to guess I'd say 2b or 2c are the most likely, but what do I know? If anyone reading this has any inside information, and you're able to talk about it, please post! :)

One other factor here are locals. Some markets currently get MPEG2 SD locals via spotbeams from 101 or 119. They will all go away in 2019, so people with 101 only dishes who currently can get their locals will only get network programming if they are able to receive NYC or LA locals via their service address or DNS (or OTA)

To start with there's no evidence the current satellites at 101W, T4S, and T9S (using AT&T's new naming, ... yuk! ...) can be configured to convert their 6 spotbeam channels to CONUS ones so all 32 DBS channels at 101W may be used for national coverage instead of the current number 26.

They can reconfigure D8/D9S for 27 CONUS transponders, not 32. However, I think it is almost certain that the new satellite being built either goes to 101, or goes to 103 and D15 moves to 101. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't planning to switch to the new satellite at the same time they shut down MPEG2 SD.

The other advantage of a new satellite at 101 is that it can have a dedicated beam to Hawaii and to PR like D14 and D15. Having a dedicated beam to Hawaii means people there can use the Slimline instead of the big dish. Considering real estate prices in Hawaii, having that unsightly big dish probably does Directv no favors in market share there!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)