need help slaving an S2-FTA (TBS6925) to 4DTV (DSR-922)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Can anyone suggest a better card?

It was tuning S2 on C-band just fine. It could not tune KU-band. I switched things up and put a signal strength meter in-line with the Ku and plugged the Ku directly in to the card, not using splitters or a switch, and the C-band was still on the splitter and the DC pass going to the DSR-922 but the other side not going anywhere. The Ku-band could not be tuned. So I put things back the way they were using splitters and a DiSecQ switch. Now it still won't tune Ku-band, but now it won't even tune S2 on C-band any more. This card is just a piece of crap. Does anyone know of an S2 card that can tune all the things this card is supposed to tune but that ACTUALLY WORKS? This is rediculous.

If it can tune CBand then it can tune Ku. To the receiver there is no difference.

I would suspect your setup is at fault (have you tested another receiver?) or your lnb is at fault, same question.

UDL

If it can tune CBand then it can tune Ku. To the receiver there is no difference.

I would suspect your setup is at fault (have you tested another receiver?) or your lnb is at fault, same question.

UDL

Hardware-wise I described as above: The c-band and Ku-band come in on two different co-axs from two different PLL LNBs that share a feedhorn on a 10' dish. I use a DSR-922 to move the dish and control the polarity. Both co-axes go into hi-freq splitters with DC-block on one side (goes to a 2-way DeSecQ switch) and DC-pass on the other (goes to DSR-922). The output of the DiSecQ switch goes to the TBS-6925. This is a replacement card from BuyDVB because the first one died (as described earlier in this thread). This replacement card DID tune DVB-S2 until I tried to run just the Ku feed directly into the card. It still could not tune Ku. So I returned to my original setup with splitters and switch. Now it can tune only DVB-S on c-band, no DVB-S2 and no Ku-band. Even now I can run wscan-s2 on SES2 TP 15 DVB-S2 4000 H 29125-5/6
8PSK and get this:

dad@Dad-Stubuntu:~$ /home/dad/Downloads/blindscan-s2-master/blindscan-s2 -b -c 1 -2 -s 4000 -e 4000 -r 29125 -H -d 6 -l 5150 -v
DiSEqC: e0 10 38 f0 00 00 length: 4
Tuning LBAND: 1150
4000 H 29125 SIG 57% SNR 56% DVB-S QPSK FEC_AUTO INVAUTO PIL_ON ROL_35

So it shows a good signal and a good SNR, but no player can play any video. Not here in Linux, nor in Windows. What setup could be wrong? You see I specified DiSecQ committed input 1, which is where the C-band is connected. Now, I don't know the difference between committed and uncommitted. Kaffien is the player I use. I set that up just as I have set up the switch and lnbs. It DID play DVB-S2 until I tried my Ku tests, but now it doesn't play DVB-S2 any more. This just seems such unreliable of a card. I want something that works. Any suggestions? You mentioned the Prof 9000 in a different thread. It uses the same chipset (or very close to it.) Is IT any more reliable than this one or will it bhave just as flaky since it uses the same chipset?

Prof 8000 I assume you mean, I have one and its a good card, defn not my favourite. The Skystar Express 2 HD is around $80 cdn delivered and is a much better card, newer demod version and much faster. But isnt supported out of box in Linux, you need to use my drivers (Im sure others support it too, but I only use mine, so I know mine support it).

Im not a fan of splitters. sketchy if you ask me.

I dont own a DSR-922 so therefore I dont really understand how your using it in your setup. I see you say its for controlling the actuator and polarity, but why do you need splitters with it? why not just use voltage = N with the loopout on the 922 ? I does have a loopout right?

UDL

Oh well that explains that. Guess if you've got one and can't afford anything else then it's your only option. If you can afford something else I'd defn recommend the ASC1. I've got one and it's incredible. So simple and reliable.

If your stuck with the 922 though why not just attach the lnb's to the 6925 directly. Why even bother attaching them to the 922 at all?

Or am I mistaken? I thought there were no more sub's for 4dtv

UDL

Oh well that explains that. Guess if you've got one and can't afford anything else then it's your only option. If you can afford something else I'd defn recommend the ASC1. I've got one and it's incredible. So simple and reliable.

If your stuck with the 922 though why not just attach the lnb's to the 6925 directly. Why even bother attaching them to the 922 at all?

Or am I mistaken? I thought there were no more sub's for 4dtv

UDL

For now, the reason I use the splitters is because there are some clear digital channels on C-band SatMex 8 on the DSR-922, so I can verify my C-band lnb works. I haven't found clear Ku-band channels (yet) for my DSR-922 to verify the KU-band lnb works. Once I get both my lnbs working I'll plug them directly into the DiSecQ switch. Also, I use the DSR-922 to power the lnbs because I think trying to power them thru my computer would tax the power supply a bit since it is 12V max and 500W in there. That's why the splitters are DC-blocking on the TBS6925 side and DC-passing on the DSR-922 side. And the DSR-922 controls polarity at the dish, and moves the dish.

I wish I could get your kernel to boot. I am not a Linux guru type and I can do only what I have learned thru the years. I ran your menu to specify what to include. It generated a kernel, but it only gives a blank screen and no command line and no desktop. I am investigating how to install the 3.9 kernel into my Natty partition (Ubuntu 11.04) and supposedly iit will update the Grub2 and give me the option to use that kernel while keeping the one I already have. Maybe then I can re-run your menuconfig and get a kernel that will boot? I really want to use your tools.

Thanks for the info on an alternative card to buy. I'll hunt for a place to buy the The Skystar Express 2 HD and see if THAT one will work.

Also, what do you think of the Pinnacle DVB-S2 USB stick? It is cheap and I can get TWO of them and use one for C-band and the other for Ku-band and skip DiSecQ switch thing. But I would still want to use the DSR-922 to power the lnbs and position the dish and set polarity and view the clear channels.

Prof 8000 I assume you mean, I have one and its a good card, defn not my favourite. The Skystar Express 2 HD is around $80 cdn delivered and is a much better card, newer demod version and much faster. But isnt supported out of box in Linux, you need to use my drivers (Im sure others support it too, but I only use mine, so I know mine support it).

Im not a fan of splitters. sketchy if you ask me.

I dont own a DSR-922 so therefore I dont really understand how your using it in your setup. I see you say its for controlling the actuator and polarity, but why do you need splitters with it? why not just use voltage = N with the loopout on the 922 ? I does have a loopout right?

UDL

I checked the Sky Star and it doesn't say it works in Linux. I'd like to run in Linux. Your drivers are in your software? Which of your software?

Last edited:
V4l-update is my kernel and modules based off the mainline kernel with many changes added

If you need some help compiling it I can try and help. I'm in the process of moving and don't have my satellite system setup and prob won't until August

UDL

V4l-update is my kernel and modules based off the mainline kernel with many changes added

If you need some help compiling it I can try and help. I'm in the process of moving and don't have my satellite system setup and prob won't until August

UDL

OK, I used your tune-s2 tool and here's what I got. It shows tuning status as unlocked. I wonder if you can explain what's going on? I specified an S2 system and it returned DVB-S. I specified 8PSK and it returned QPSK. I really don't know what rolloff, pilot and MIS are, but I didn't know what to specify since it couldn't lock the signal and Lyngsat doesn't tell me. It is SES2 at 87W, TP 15. Here is the result:

dad@Dad-Stubuntu:~$ tune-s2 4000 H 29125 -committed 1 -lnb CBAND -system DVB-S2 -modulation 8PSK -fec 5/6 -rolloff 0
LNB: low: -5150 high: 0 switch: 0
opening: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
LOW band
22khz OFF

Tuning specs:
System: DVB-S2
Frequency: 4000 H 29125
22khz: OFF
Modulation: 8PSK
FEC: 5/6
Inversion: AUTO
Rolloff: 35
Pilot: AUTO
MIS: -1

Tuned specs:
System: DVB-S 5
Modulation: QPSK 0
FEC: 5/6 5
Inversion: AUTO 2
Rolloff: 35 0
Pilot: ON 2
Bandwidth: 39.3188 MHz
Data Rate: 44.7345 Mbps

status Unlocked | signal 57% | snr 14.2 db | ber 1 | unc 0 |

It looks like a not bad SNR, but it is not locked. Can you interpret this out put? What happenned?

hit enter a few times, it updates the status when you do so. See if it shows locked then.

The reason its not showing correct tuned parameters is because the mainline kernel doesnt support that feature.

UDL

hit enter a few times, it updates the status when you do so. See if it shows locked then.

The reason its not showing correct tuned parameters is because the mainline kernel doesnt support that feature.

UDL

Does this tell me it has tuned and locked:?

dad@Dad-Stubuntu:~$ tune-s2 4000 H 29125 -committed 1 -lnb CBAND -system DVB-S2 -modulation 8PSK -fec 5/6 -rolloff 0
LNB: low: -5150 high: 0 switch: 0
opening: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
LOW band
22khz OFF

Tuning specs:
System: DVB-S2
Modulation: 8PSK
FEC: 5/6
Inversion: AUTO
Rolloff: 35
Pilot: AUTO

Tuned specs:
System: DVB-S 5
Modulation: QPSK 0
FEC: 5/6 5
Inversion: AUTO 2
Rolloff: 35 0
Pilot: ON 2
Bandwidth: 39.3188 MHz
Data Rate: 44.7345 Mbps

status Locked | signal 57% | snr 16.4 db | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK

status Locked | signal 57% | snr 16.8 db | ber 0 | unc 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK

This is the same one that it could not lock on the previous post. But how do I go from here to actually view the locked signal? I suppose while it is tuned I should somehow scan? How to do it? Them once I get channel info I would need to somehow choose one and view. The software I use (Kaffiene) won't tune, lock this S2 TP. It used to, but it stopped. I'd like to find a different way to view.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)