Need help switching TV1 and TV2 on 625 DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Broge6

Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
I have a 625 DVR w/ Dish Network. I bought an HD tv, and had a guy come out (freelance) and hook up my antenna so that:
TV1 output - is in the bedroom with the receiver and IR remote
TV2 output- is the HD tv in the living room w/ UHF remote and antenna

The 625 is not an HD receiver.

I have a setup where I have one cable coming out of the wall to each tv, so the receiver works both sets and antenna comes over same cable. On TV1 output for the living room tv - Dish works on channel 3 and other channels are OTA. On TV2 - the tv is set to channel 60 for dish.

My problem is that when he finished, (I can't reach him now) TV1 with the IR remote works in the living room and TV2 is in the bedroom with the receiver and uses the UHF remote. This is the opposite of what it should be. Apparently the Dish remotes are only IR or UHF and they are set to their respective output.

In the bedroom, the UHF remote is not a problem. However, I have to walk from the living room to direct view of the receiver in the bedroom to use the dish remote. I have tried remote settings and switching the cables on the back of the receiver, but no luck yet.

It seems that my only solution is to get the TV1 output back to the bedroom tv where the receiver is, and the TV2 output to the living room tv so the UHF remote can be operated from the living room.

Can someone help?

Broge5

Thanks for the reply.

Now that I have found what to look for on the forum, I think I have found a few solutions.

1. Buy another UHF remote to use in the living room and set TV1 to use a UHF remote.

2. put it in single mode, press swap on remote, put it back in dual mode. This sounds like the simplest solution. I'm just not sure if I am in Dual or Single mode now. This will be awesome if it works.

3. It appears that I can switch the cables on the back of the 625 on the TV1 and TV2 as long as I switch the satellite diplexer/splitter thingy.

4. I may even be able to send TV1 and TV2 signals to all tvs and then put the IR remote in the room with the receiver and the UHF in the other. I wouldn't have the advantages of using TV1 or TV2 on the same tv due to the limitations of the remotes, but it effectively swap TV1 and TV2

I hope I understood correctly and that one of these options works.

When I get off work, I will check into this.

My only concern is the unknown box in the attic that puts something on channel 3 so the dish plays on tv channel 3 and OTA play on all normal channels.

Any input is appreciated.

Broge6

On the back of your receiver you have a TV1 out put and a TV2 (home distribution) output. It sounds like the TV1 output is feeding into your diplexer and the TV2 output is feeding the tv in the bedroom where the receiver is. If this is the case you just need to switch the lines so that TV2 feeds into your diplexer and TV1 goes straight to your TV.

Scott,

That is what isw strange to me. TV1 is feeding straight into the tv, and TV2 goes into the diplexer.

I tried switching the cables at the tv1 and tv2 ouputs, but then the neither tv worked. There is a chance that I didn't switch to the correct channels though.

Do I also have to switch the Satellite 1 and 2 cables going into the receiver?

I am at work now and not at the unit.

Broge6

Scott,

That is what isw strange to me. TV1 is feeding straight into the tv, and TV2 goes into the diplexer.

I tried switching the cables at the tv1 and tv2 ouputs, but then the neither tv worked. There is a chance that I didn't switch to the correct channels though.

Broge6

you dont have to switch satellite cables... just follow my direction and dont switch anything keep tv1 in the living room, and tv2 in the bedroom,,,

if you put 625 in single mode, u wont be able to watch diffrent shows on tv2, and you can't use uhf remote on both tuner its 1 or the other.

let me get your question right again,, you are having problem with tv2 remote ???

Scott,

Broge6
I ususlly advise my customers to please refrain from tampering with the EQ...This is exactly why..You don't have the expertise and are about to make things far worse..You already admitted to disabling your tv's once....Unless you can follow written advice to the letter, call a qualified service person and let them handle this for you...JMHO....

My only problem is that my remote for tv1 is IR, and my tv1 signal is going to the tv that is not in the same room with the receiver.

I am trying to switch tv1 and tv2 so both remotes will work as intended.

I feel pretty comfortable following directions. I do now understand why it isn't a good idea to go in blind.

Last night I took a better look, now that I have an idea what I am looking for.

I was wrong - Scott was correct - currently, tv1 is feeding into the diplexer and tv2 is feeding into the tv.

I switched these, and after going to the correct channel, the bedroom tv worked great on the now tv1. But, on the living room tv, the picture was there but snowy and fuzzy.

I looked in the attic and there are some boxes up there that I think combine the OTA and dish, and another that sends the dish signal to channel 3. I seem to remember the installer saying somthing about a piece that did that. Problem is that I cannot set tv2 to play on channel 3.

There is very little wording on the boxes in the attic. One is a Motorola with a picture of a satellite on one input and an antenna on the other. It has a small knob on it with a picture of a lock and unlock. This box appears to be fed by the double cable coming from the satellite. This box feeds into another box with a 3 on it. It also has two inputs, one for satellite (fed from the other box) and one for antenna fed by another cable. I assume the cable coming out must be going to the tv.

I cannot locate a seperate cable coming from the antenna. Is it possible that there is a connection on the roof between the antenna and the dish?

I don't know if this makes sense to you. I can go back up there and try to draw it out.

Broge6

tv2 will not play on channel 3 u need to go to menu 6, 1, 5, and set the modulator to either cable channel 73 or air channel 60..

Last edited:
Air channel 60 is what it was set for. That's where I got the snowy picture that looked like it was on the wrong channel.

I will try cable 73.

I do think that there is a box in my attic that is sending signal down channel 3. This is obviously an issue given that tv2 will not play on channel 3. I wonder if that is why he switched them?

Broge6

OK - I have learned that I have a diplexer and a Channel 3 signal combiner in the attic feeding the tv that I want to put on tv2. I understand that tv2 does not play on channel 3.

The signal combiner does combine the OTA and Dish image.

Does this help in figuring out how I can send the tv2 signal with the OTA to the living room tv?

Is there such a thing as a channel 60 signal combiner?

Broge6

You don't need a diplexer or any other special piece of equipment to combine TV2 and OTA. A regular splitter will work just fine. You should be able to tune your TV to the 522's output just as if it was another OTA channel, in this case channel 60. If you are getting a snowy picture, try changing the modulator to another channel. You aren't limited to just 60 or 73...I usually have good luck with channel 21, or something close to that if your area has an OTA channel close to 21.

Thanks, I will try tuning the tv and checking other channels.

Do you think I can remove the diplexer and channel 3 combiner in the attic and replace them with a simple splitter? Run in reverse I guess?

I read somewhere "where there's one diplexer, there will be another." I assumed this meant that because there is one behind the receiver, there would be another - in the attic.

Broge6

The diplexor in the attic is probably combining your sat feed and your TV2 on the line going to your receiver. Don't mess with that. If your living room TV was picking up TV1 on ch3 just fine, it should also pick up ch60. If 60 is snowy try another channel. You shouldn't have to change the wiring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts